Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EP-8K3A Badcap Blues

EP-8K3A
    KT333 with VT8233A AGPset/266MHz FSB/3 DIMM with DDR333/1 AGP-4X/6 PCI/USB1.1/ATA-133/6CH Audio/ATX
    ---------------------------------------

A puny system compared by today's standards admittedly, but nevertheless this system until now has ran 24/7 since 2003. almost faultless apart from the usual maintence, a format here a tune up and a upgrade there to keep things running smooth, but...

System summary:- for those that really care
    Windows 98se first boot 40gig hdd split into 2 partitions
    Windows Xp pro sp2 custom config 120gig hdd split 3 partitions
    Latest via drivers /bios update available
    Antec 450 psu
    EP-8K3AE mainboard
    1GB Epox System PC2700 ddr333 non eec dimms ( 2 x 512mb )
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    Ati Radeon 9800 pro
    Pioneer cd-rom
    Pioneer dvd-/+rw
    ad-on firewire pci card
    ad-on hardwall firewall
    Creative sound blaster audigy 1 Card
    3 fans

Use pestpatrol
    Nod32
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upon coming home from work I found my desktop had shutdown, strange I thought to myself as I was used to the sound of the pc whirring away, especially as last weekend I had stripped it out to the case for it's annual clean out. ( bareboned and rebuilt ) cleaned the fans, remounted the heatsink with new artic silver, dust bust. Put it all back together as usual and hey presto I was up and running again all week, checked for viruses and spy/malware, everything was clean.

Now this problem has started occurring where by my pc shuts down even at boot, my first thought was a Trojan or virus. So I went through the mini-dump with a fine tooth comb, and the registry runtime's /ini nothing there.

An error of win32k.sys followed by the bsod and a 0x50 page fault, which is usualy referenced towards being a memory or cache fault, however I have tested and retested my memory in different pc's using memtest86 running for near enough 2 days without faults occurring, my grafix card has been tested too same result, I've used hirens boot tools to stress test most of the components on my pc, I did find that my second hard was failing and had bad sectors (1798) quite a few..! I've ran the latest Maxtor tools on this to determine that it needs replacing. And this has been done.

Now I fine it is not possible to format the new drive as I cannot even reach the post screen, I switch on wait a while and then a thin half a centremetre line in blue appears at the bottoms of the screen. sometimes it will boot into the first os win98se for a shortime then just shutdown. or bsod and freeze

I have tried resetting the bios, resetting and reseating the other cards, checked the cables and tested the psu and cpu in alternative pc's. My fears were realised when I opened the case and took some time to look for possible hardware faults, I found some of the capacitors had started to fail especially around the cpu heatsink edge, The tops were bulging and leaking .. and brown sludge like liquid on the board at the rear of the cpu heatsink, 2 of the capacitors had tilted to one side and another similarly defective near the memory slots, others I noted were bulging in a way unbecoming to there natural state. This I later learned after doing some research was more than likely the reason for all the problems I'd been having.

I've written to epox nl in the hope of getting in repaired or replaced, however this is taking forever so after reading through some of the mail here I thought I would ask about re-capping myself.

What caps should I buy for this board what are the ideal make to go for? any help would be appreciated.

Re: EP-8K3A Badcap Blues

Well the caps you buy and the source will depend upon where you are. I cannot find that in your profile.

Are any caps bulging? The age of your system and the use you describe would certainly make ita prime candidate for re-capping.

Let us know where you are.
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
    Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
    160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
    Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
    160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
    Samsung 18x DVD writer
    Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
    33 way card reader
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
    17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
    HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

I found some of the capacitors had started to fail especially around the cpu heatsink edge, The tops were bulging and leaking .. and brown sludge like liquid on the board at the rear of the cpu heatsink, 2 of the capacitors had tilted to one side and another similarly defective near the memory slots
      Thanx for the swift reply, my system has had quite alot of stick over the years, since 2002 it has ran 24/7 almost flawlessly apart from the odd format here and there to clean out the cobwebs that leak into the os over time, and upgrades.

UK

Comment

In my memory and experience in EP-8K3A(KT333), this board have many 2200uF 10v, some of 1500uF 6.3v D10mm and 1000uF 6.3v there....
        My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

I need all the help I can get.

Comment

Also check your ANTEC
            Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Yes! Open and inspect your Antec for failed Fuhjyyu craps.

Comment

Thats quite a poweful set of components for such an old board, I wouldn't upgrade it any further, replacing the blown capacitors should fix the problem, I replaced all the blown and bulging ones on mine with Rubycon ZL's of the same uF rating.

note: I tried putting an Athlon 3000xp CPU in mine once and it set fire to one of the RAM slots and CPU only worked at 1.6Ghz from then on. (I should've believed the manufacturer lol)

The Antec may also develop problems, mine did, but it was only 350w smartpower one, replaced with a Tagan 480w (although even Tagans reported to not be perfect)
                Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

I placed a number of Antec PSU with clients. I have removed many dead Antec PSU from client machines. For curiosity, I opened one of the dead ones: full of Fuhjyyu caps.

It's a pity the premium Antec supplies cheaped out on caps. I get much longer life from Sparkle supplies at 1/3 the price.

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
                    I placed a number of Antec PSU with clients. I have removed many dead Antec PSU from client machines. For curiosity, I opened one of the dead ones: full of Fuhjyyu caps.

It's a pity the premium Antec supplies cheaped out on caps. I get much longer life from Sparkle supplies at 1/3 the price.
                    Why not recap the flaky units with quality capacitors and offer them to 'other' clients as upgrades or replacements, many Antec PSUs are sold just on their name (as you would already know), or alternatively 'offer' to repair your clients PSUs

As for the EP-8K3A, I just popped the lid on by overcrowded generic case which has the 'plus' RAID version of the same board, and found...

15 x 2200uF 16v Teapos
                    2 x 1800uF 16v Sanyos (yes... I double checked!)
                    4 x 1500uF 10v (unknown - H is eliptical circle logo)
                    4 x 1000uF 6.3v GSCs

Hope this helps
                    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

MaJiX04 let us know how it's going. I still have a few capacitors from my project if you only need a few of them. Post a photo so can see what needs replacing.
                      Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Originally posted by tazwegion
                        Why not recap the flaky units with quality capacitors and offer them to 'other' clients as upgrades or replacements, many Antec PSUs are sold just on their name (as you would already know), or alternatively 'offer' to repair your clients PSUs
                        That is the general plan.

I opened up an Antec PP-412X today, removed the board, and still cannot ID all the caps until they are removed from the board.

Yessir, a few swelled 1650uF are visible to the naked eye.

FTR, I have an Epox 8KTA3+Pro running a 1400 T-Bird since 30SEP2003. I'm amazed it still works. And works well.

Comment

Working...
                        X