Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte K8VM800M - What's causing this video problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte K8VM800M - What's causing this video problem?

Would it be possible to take some good close-up photos of the board and PSU? Troubleshooting blind is no fun if you know what I mean.

Comment

Well, what is the verdict on the board, a solution on the horizon or chuck it?

Comment

No verdict has being reached, it's still in limbo
        And yeah, i meant parallel instead of series.
        Had some more challenging issues to address in the past week, so had to divert attention/energy to that.
        But i don't give up easily.
        So have taken photos.
        Removed the heatsink which had no TIM (so i also remove the heatsink from a other same model board that had damaged socket, and that also had no TIM)
        So i strongly suspect that these boards came out with no NB TIM from the factory, sine the chips only get luke warm.
        And just for the heck of it, i gave it a nice thin coating of TIM and also replaced the last KZG input cap with a Sanyo WG (both capacitors tested good on the ESR meter)
        Then put it back in the case, and now it wont even boot from the SATA DVD drive - after the usual several attempts to get it past the "Boot from CD/DVD" message and on to the "Press any key to boot from CD" and then pressing any key, nothing happens.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by socketa; 06-23-2016, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by socketa View Post
          No verdict has being reached, it's still in limbo
          And yeah, i meant parallel instead of series.
          Had some more challenging issues to address in the past week, so had to divert attention/energy to that.
          But i don't give up easily.
          So have taken photos.
          Removed the heatsink which had no TIM (so i also remove the heatsink from a other same model board that had damaged socket, and that also had no TIM)
          So i strongly suspect that these boards came out with no NB TIM from the factory, sine the chips only get luke warm.
          And just for the heck of it, i gave it a nice thin coating of TIM and also replaced the last KZG input cap with a Sanyo WG (both capacitors tested good on the ESR meter)
          Then put it back in the case, and now it wont even boot from the SATA DVD drive - after the usual several attempts to get it past the "Boot from CD/DVD" message and on to the "Press any key to boot from CD" and then pressing any key, nothing happens.
          Please retest the motherboards outside of the cases.
          What kind of media are you using in the optical drives to boot from?
          Antec is known to have used cheap caps in that line of PSU.
          Last edited by Sparkey55; 06-24-2016, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Tested outside of case - same result.
            It's not the PSU - because i have tried two more and checked the voltages
            The media is DVD windows XP, and it works well, when not plugged into this motherboard. So does the DVD drive.
            When plugged into the other good board there is no funny business (as previously described) when booting - it boots immediately from the DVD drive after the prompt to "push any key to boot from CD"...
            i've read that other boards from the same era can have problems with IDE and SATA channels and since the BIOS has being updated to the latest one - this is looking like some hard-wired component on the motherboard that is going faulty
            Last edited by socketa; 06-24-2016, 03:47 PM.

Comment

One way to find out if it is the Southbridge bad is to install an PCI IDE card and use that to connect your HDD to.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
                One way to find out if it is the Southbridge bad is to install an PCI IDE card and use that to connect your HDD to.
                PCI bus still goes through Southbridge, so you could still get the same problems. But it is definitely worth a try.

The other thing you could try is install the OS from a USB drive or even boot off of a USB drive, if that is possible. USB goes through SB as well, though. So again, who knows what will happen.

If nothing seems to work, then you could always try to reflow the SB and NB. But you'd probably have to remove some caps around those chipsets before doing that. And that can be a little tedious to do.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  PCI bus still goes through Southbridge, so you could still get the same problems. But it is definitely worth a try.

The other thing you could try is install the OS from a USB drive or even boot off of a USB drive, if that is possible. USB goes through SB as well, though. So again, who knows what will happen.

If nothing seems to work, then you could always try to reflow the SB and NB. But you'd probably have to remove some caps around those chipsets before doing that. And that can be a little tedious to do.
                  Got to thinking, since he is having boot issues maybe a POST card might be usefull here. Hopefully he did not flash the wrong bios file for that model since their is a version 1.0 and 2.0 motherboards.

Comment

Yes, the BIOS was flashed with the correct one for a V 2.0 board

Booted with a USB Bart PE stick and put the checksum app and video files on it as well.
                    Experienced no problems after leaving it in for 4hrs and running the checksum app on the two video files, ten times within that period.

Comment

What is this checksum app and video files you are using?

Comment

Yes, the BIOS was flashed with the correct one for a V 2.0 board

Booted with a USB Bart PE stick and put the checksum app and video files on it as well.
                        Experienced no problems after leaving it in for 4hrs and running the checksum app on the two video files, ten times within that period.
                        Again this is suggesting that the problem could be in some section of the Southbridge.
                        Could try some stress testing programs on the IDE and SATA controllers to see how they hold up under loads.
                        Also try stress testing programs that do not use the Southbridge connections only Memory, CPU, AGP.

Comment

What is this checksum app and video files you are using?
                          Fastsum is the app.
                          Cowspiracy and Forks over knives are the video files, which total 4.5G

Could try some stress testing programs on the IDE and SATA controllers to see how they hold up under loads.
                          Also try stress testing programs that do not use the Southbridge connections only Memory, CPU, AGP.
                          Which apps to you recommend for these specific purposes?

Comment

I do not know off hand, search around.

Comment

Fastsum is the app.
                              Cowspiracy and Forks over knives are the video files, which total 4.5G

Which apps to you recommend for these specific purposes?
                              http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/benchmarking.html

Comment

Thanks.
                                Didn't see any in that list that specifically tested the IDE and SATA.

Short version: It appears that only IDE 0 is working properly
                                Long version:
                                -------------------------------------------------
                                The board will not boot from a SATA DVD drive (recognized in BIOS) when installing XP 64bit that is plugged into either of the SATA ports - It hangs on "Boot from CD" or "press any key to boot from CD"

The board will boot from IDE 0 DVD drive, but when installing XP 32, it returns the "cannot copy the file..." message.
                                And when installing XP 64, it returns the BSOD message: The session manager initialization process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c. The system has being shut down

Installing XP 32bit on SATA HD using SATA DVD : "Cannot copy the file..."

XP64 DVD IDE 0 and SATA HD: "An error occured when setup was updating partition information. Setup cannot continue"

XP32 DVD IDE 0 and SATA HD : Setup did not find any hard disk

IDE 0 DVD drive + HD IDE 1 : HD not detected
                                IDE 1 DVD drive + HD IDE 0 : DVD not detected
                                ------------------------------------------------------------
                                Since i can't get two properly functioning ports from the IDE and SATA ports,
                                i'm trying to install windows 7 on IDE 0 - So that i can try one of those stress-testing apps.
                                (from my research, and attempts, you can't install XP, from a USB stick)
                                Last edited by socketa; 06-30-2016, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks.

Long version:
                                  The board will not boot from a SATA DVD drive (recognized in BIOS) when installing XP 64bit that is plugged into either of the SATA ports - It hangs on "Boot from CD" or "press any key to boot from CD"

The board will boot from IDE 0 DVD drive, but when installing XP 32, it returns the "cannot copy the file..." message.
                                  And when installing XP 64, it returns the BSOD message: The session manager initialization process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c. The system has being shut down

XP64 DVD IDE 0 and SATA HD: "An error occured when setup was updating partition information. Setup cannot continue"

i'm trying to install windows 7 on IDE 0 - So that i can try one of those stress-testing apps.
                                  Since you have two IDE ports on the motherboard the first one (IDE 0 ) should be used as the OS install HDD and the second one (IDE 1) should be used for the CD/DVD IDE DRIVE. You will have it configured as HDD PRIMARY CHANNEL/ NO SLAVE on IDE 0 and OPTICAL DRIVE SECONDARY CHANNEL/ NO SLAVE on IDE 1.
                                  Switching the IDE drives around from IDE 0 to IDE 1 will screw up the MASTER BOOT RECORD on the HDD when you go to install your OS. You can not do that without wiping the HDD after each install (Zero fill utility). Windows XP requires its Boot Loader, NTLDR to be on the PRIMARY PARTITION ( IDE 0) or you get the results that you see now.

Comment

Thanks.

Long version:

Ok lets make this more simple to troubleshoot. Do not mix SATA and IDE devices on the board right now. KISS ( Keep It Simple Stupid ), No you are not stupid just confused. Install your OS on IDE 0 Master put your ODD on IDE 1 Master. Go into BIOS settings and turn off all SATA ports. You should now be able to install the OS properly. Dont forget to WIPE YOUR HDD clean with a Zero Fill Utility before installation.
                                    Last edited by Sparkey55; 06-30-2016, 04:33 AM.

Comment

i'm not confused, but the motherboard sure is.
                                      So, as instructed, removed all drives and cable to SATA and IDE ports, except for IDE 0.
                                      Disabled SATA in BIOS.
                                      Wiped the drive with 0's
                                      Began installing windows7 from USB to the HD on IDE 0.
                                      The first two installs were halted because the video went bung (as usual) during the expanding files stage.
                                      The third (lucky?) attempt has windows7 completely installed successfully.
                                      It's being an hour and the video has not faulted.

P.S. i can remember trying XP 32 and windows 7 x64 before, when it was in it's original case (there was a dual boot with XP 64 and XP 32, and windows 7 was on another hard drive)
                                      XP 32 had the same video issue ax XP x64, but i don't recall the video issue occurring with windows 7 x64.
                                      The Speed with with the checksum app checked those video files, with windows 7 x64, was way faster also.
                                      Last edited by socketa; 07-01-2016, 09:43 PM.

Comment

i'm not confused, but the motherboard sure is.
                                        So, as instructed, removed all drives and cable to SATA and IDE ports, except for IDE 0.
                                        Disabled SATA in BIOS.
                                        Wiped the drive with 0's
                                        Began installing windows7 from USB to the HD on IDE 0.
                                        The first two installs were halted because the video went bung (as usual) during the expanding files stage.
                                        The third attempt has windows7 completely installed successfully.
                                        It's being half an hour and the video has not faulted.
                                        i won't do anything more until you say so.
                                        Glad to hear that you got the OS to install but you bypassed the IDE ODD in the config by using a USB device to install from, why?
                                        We are trying to test the SB ports for any and all possible faults. We know that USB works already.
                                        Reconfigure the board to use IDE ODD either on IDE 1 Master or IDE 0 as Slave. Then install the OS froom the ODD.

Comment

"Setup cannot copy the file X" -> In the past, seems to be a result of nLite corrupting the XP CD.

"An error occured when setup was updating partition information. Setup cannot continue" -> I would change the ATA cable!

"Setup did not find any hard disk" -> Means you're in AHCI mode and have missing/wrong/bad ATA driver.
                                          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 07-01-2016, 09:41 PM.
                                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                          X