Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some "Vintage Iron" for you older PC guys

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
    oh no! hate it when good ol' stuff kicks the bucket like that. didnt u try to use a better (and possibly oversized) cooler? that is essential when overclocking esp. if u overvolt. or did the thermal paste dry up or the cpu fan seize without u knowing? i had a video card fan seize without me knowing it for a while until i realised it and fixed it. but it was too late. card only lasted a few months thereafter. bye bye aiw radeon 9800 pro...
    I figured that if I had to pay more money for a better heatsink I might have well just sprung more money for the better CPU to begin with. I just took my gamble and got as much as I could out of the CPU, and well, even the good CPU is junk to me now, no different than the failed CPU. The fried CPU was well past its usefulness - the time I had to run single cpu was short, and the 1.2GHz Celeron was faster than the two Celerons at 464MHz.

Now even the 1.2GHz Celeron is sidelined.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
      but nt4 and win2k only came out in the mid and late 90s respectively. nt4 came out in 1996. win2k in the year 1999-2000. prior to that, did earlier versions of nt like 3.1, 3.5 and 3.51 support multiple cores/cpus? or did u have to go unix/linux for multi-cpu support?

cuz i dont imagine mocking someone with a dual cpu board that had only one cpu installed is valid if mainstream operating systems of the time had only single cpu support and games would only work with mainstream oses and not server grade oses. tho u could always dual boot...
      The NT kernel was built with multi processor support from the ground up.
      It's supported in NT 3.1
      It also supports multiple processor architectures including Alpha & MIPS.
      NT4 was the last OS to do so (Technically actually a beta version of Win2K had Alpha support as well, but it was dropped for the RTM release).
      None of this ever existed in the DOS based consumer OS'es of course.
      But that is why you dual booted, there is simply no better OS than Windows 2000 and probably never will be, at least for what I look for in a OS.
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

First post from this relic. I'm surprised how well FF40 actually functions on this system, given the slow CPU's & GPU.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          First post from this relic. I'm surprised how well FF40 actually functions on this system, given the slow CPU's & GPU.
          Considering I've once run FF26 (which was quite as bloated as FF40) on a Pentium II 350,it's not that surprising,at least for me. But yes,it actually runs well on old systems.
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

just keep flash disabled / uninstalled!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              just keep flash disabled / uninstalled!
              I never installed it....I knew better on this thing!
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Proud owner of this babies

bought on ebay, waiting for vacations to test on quake big time
                Attached Files

Comment

^
                  I actually have one of those as well....I lost the 15-pin VGA dongle for it though.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Awesome machine! I love that chassis. Seeing a dual P3 like this running in 2016 =

Comment

old iron ?? this qualifies as an antique then

Comment

On a side note....I love quality!! See the country of origin & date, bearing in mind that all these drives are still operational!
                        yea i hate all the crappy MIC optical drives these days. those shit from china dont last long. 2 out of the 3 optical drives i have currently have kicked the bucket. one of which is a pioneer blu-ray burner, my first blu-ray drive i ever had. even pioneer is getting turdy with their MIC drives these days!
                        Originally posted by rs232killer View Post
                        Proud owner of this babies
                        bought on ebay, waiting for vacations to test on quake big time
                        man i'll betcha that video card is older than me. is that the world's first sli gpu? i know 3dfx was the one who pioneered multiple gpu technology.

Comment

if you strip the shell off those p3's you will find a bga mounted regular cpu inside.
                          then you can fit a better heatsink and get better cooling for overclocking.

Comment

Or just find a slocket and some 1.2 Celerons. I've got a pair of Powerleap IP3/T adapters with 1 GHz Tualatin Celerons. Basically a Pentium III but with 256 KB cache rather than 512 KB. Not a huge deal being as the older PIIIs only had 256.

Comment

Hoo yeahh was the first time that SLI in concept was mass manufactured, the catch is that you need 2 cards matched sli cable and video bypass cables which is pretty hard to find since they have around 17 or 18yo i was lucky to buy in auction from a guy in Germany that had this mint condition boxed xd and forgot to put the shipping costs on the advert... only had 4 buyers after them even so i paid around €75 for the pair...

To all the good people that have stuff like this - keep it store it , in 10 years will sell for twice than today, and you get the bonus of have fun in retro gaming and computing.

btw i am missing one rendition powervr accelerator pci card on the collection

Comment

I remember the powerleap adapters way back when we were all trying desperately to run Tualatin-S's in our VP6's. Those bad boys had 512k full speed caches!!
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

What's fun with slockets is you can do Celeron SMP. Dual 1 GHz Tualatins was awesome in an old Precision 210 I had. Sadly motherboard died but it was fun while it lasted.

Comment

uhh ohh...look what was just discovered.... Supermicro P3TDDE with a pair of Tualatin-S's @ 1.4GHz with 768mb RAM. board supports 4gb, now to see if theres any 1gb sticks of SDRAM... I thought I got rid of most of the P3-era stuff ages ago. I had one of these boards go bad on me a few years ago, that I specifically remember tossing in the recycle box. I don't remember where this one came from. I am going through a lot of my older stuff to see what I really have. Quite a few interesting surprises have come up!

Attached Files
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

uhh ohh...look what was just discovered.... Supermicro P3TDDE with a pair of Tualatin-S's @ 1.4GHz with 768mb RAM. board supports 4gb, now to see if theres any 1gb sticks of SDRAM... I thought I got rid of most of the P3-era stuff ages ago. I had one of these boards go bad on me a few years ago, that I specifically remember tossing in the recycle box. I don't remember where this one came from. I am going through a lot of my older stuff to see what I really have. Quite a few interesting surprises have come up!

Sounds like I need to pay you a visit this April when I'm in STL again... *drool*
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

One little last revision....a 3DFX Voodoo3500 with TV tuner....now those retro games will kick ass!!

If I sit on this thing for another decade or two, maybe it'll be worth enough to put me into an early retirement!
                                        Attached Files
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

those round ide cables cause crosstalk.

Comment

Working...
                                          X