GA-8IPE1000-G I can't install XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GA-8IPE1000-G I can't install XP

I have received 2 MOBO from a friend, one GA-8IPE1000-G and one BIOSTAR P4VMAM VER2.3 and I have a similar problem with both.

I tried to install Windows XP HE to check them but something doesn't work so I need advices from experienced members.

With the Gigabyte when I try to install XP, the process arrive around at 95% and I have several message error: the file xxxxxxx cant' be copied on the HD. If I choose to retry sometimes the process enter in the loop and can't copy the file, sometimes goes on to be stopped a later on another file; if I choose ignore the process goes on but I think it is not correct. Anyway when I arrive at 100% I got BSOD... I have never been able to reboot and to see the black screen with XP logo.
    I have changed RAM, HD (PATA), PSU, CD and cleared CMOS with the same results...I can't install XP.
    I must add that for 2 time I had problem to detect the HD even if it was connected correctly.
    The caps look good, no bulging or broken, on the VRM there are Sanyo on 12V and Nichicon close to the CPU, all around the board there are Chemicon KZG.
    I know these brands are good even if some series of Nichicon had problem in the past.
    My question is: can this problem caused by caps or there is something more I must investigate?

I don't want to spend time and money changing caps if it is not worth to do it.

The BIOSTAR has OST caps ... so probably they need to be replaced but before to do it... I would like to see XP running on it.
    With this board I finish the installation but when at the end of the process when the MOBO reboot I got the message "Not system found"... like XP has not been installed. Also with this board I have changed RAM, HD... and so on.
    Once again: could be only the caps the problem or am I missing something?

Both boards have a Pentium 4 3.0GHz and I would like to rescue them.

Thanks in advance for your attention.
    Gianni
    Last edited by Gianni; 09-09-2011, 11:09 AM. Reason: Typo
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
    H. J. Brown

Re: GA-8IPE1000-G I can't install XP

All of the Chemicon KZG should be replaced. These fail without bulging a lot of the time.

Depending on the date code of the Nichicon, and if they are HM or HN series, they may need to be replaced. 01'-'04 are the defective datecodes.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

The 3GHz Prescotts run very very hot, i'd change the caps around the CPU even if they are known good series. I used to have the same board and the same CPU and it ate two sets of caps during its lifetime.
      Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 09-09-2011, 11:52 AM.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Those are the exact symptoms i have seen on alot of Gigabyte boards lately. Try to flash update the bios, seems to work 90% of the time for me.

If the floppy port is not stable to flash from try using the secondary PATA ports with a cd-rom drive. Sometime just reflashing the same bios file helps.

YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by Gianni View Post
          I have received 2 MOBO from a friend, one GA-8IPE1000-G and one BIOSTAR P4VMAM VER2.3 and I have a similar problem with both.
          I tried to install Windows XP HE to check them but something doesn't work so I need advices from experienced members.
          Thanks in advance for your attention.
          Gianni
          Have you tried a different cd rom drive or are you using the same drive when testing both boards? I have seen the problem you are mentioning caused by the cd drive you are using.

Comment

Have you tried a different Windows CD?
            Have you tried a Linux Live CD?
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

I would try a different CD. Your symptoms are more typical of a bad CD.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I'm sorry to answer so late but I'm quite busy, thanks to all of you.

@ Sparkey55: the BIOS is the last thing I thought to be the problem because the board worked OK before it was dismissed.
                I have never flashed a BIOS so I don't want to ruin this board, I will left this option as last thing to try.

@ Spitz: no I have not changed the CD drive because the one I'm using is good but I could try next time I work on the board.

@ PCBONEZ and RJARRRPCGP: I tried with 2 different copies of Windows Xp and with one original CD without success. I have not tried a Linux Live CD but I tried to run Mini Windows XP from Hirene's Boot CD and I had problems, I got a message that Windows was not able to do something but I can't remember the exact message... in other words I was not able to see it running while on most PC I can run it without any problem.
                It makes me think there's something wrong with memories or caps around RAM even if I ran Memtest86 for more than 2 hours without any error.

As soon as I can I will replace the caps and I let you know the results.

By the way, today after a long time I was not buying caps I checked on RS Components and I see they are selling Panasonic FR caps. As far as I can understand this series look good for MOBO, am I right?

Thanks again for you precious help
                Gianni
                Last edited by Gianni; 09-13-2011, 04:05 PM. Reason: Typos
                "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                H. J. Brown

Comment

Hi all

I have removed all caps and next Monday I will check them in lab to verify their status.

I have no problem to replace all Chemicon KZG 1000uF 6.3V with Panasonic FM and Samxon GC, I have to mount both brand because I have not enough caps of one brand to do the job.

For the VRM input I want to use Panasonic FM 2200uF 16V to replace Sanyo WX 1500uF 16V since I don't have other 16V caps.

I have problem with the VRM output: the original caps were Nichicon HM 3300uF 6.3V but I can't find such caps. The closest one I have found on RS Italy is Panasonic FR 2700uF 16V.
                  The problem is the diameter, 10mm, so I can't use Panasonic FM 3300uF 16V because the diameter is 12.5mm and there is not enough space.

My question is: are Panasonic FR suitable for VRM? I know the total uF will be 3000uF less and the ESR will be a little higher but I think it could work.

If the FR choice is not good, I could buy from RS conductive polymer aluminium solid electrolytic capacitors but I really don't know which type can replace Nichicon.

Here the links of available caps:

http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/elettrolitici/7149045/

http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/elettrolitici/7149026/

http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/elettrolitici/7149067/

http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/elettrolitici/7149534/

http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/elettrolitici/7149559/

http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/elettrolitici/7149525/

http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/elettrolitici/7149553/

I hope someone can help me.

TIA
                  Gianni
                  H. J. Brown

Comment

The Sanyo should be fine as is.

FR are not good enough for Vcore.

Look for 3300uF 6.3v.
                    Those are not uncommon in 10mm.
                    If you can't find them and it's for Vcore use 820uF Polymers.

A grade help.
                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=17
                    Last edited by PCBONEZ; 09-17-2011, 10:28 AM.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

I have the same board, the Gigabyte GA-8iPE1000-G... I have encountered the same Windows install issues before where it would randomly stop part way through. Reshuffling the RAM and cleaning the slots solved the issue... not sure if it will work here since you replaced the RAM, but my $0.02
                      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

@ PCBONEZ: unfortunately I can't find 3300uF 6.3V with diameter 10mm. The only way to find them is to buy on Ebay but the risk is to get fake and to pay Customs tax...
                        It happened to me last here... I ordered some stuff in Hong Kong, around 40$, and I had to wait 2 months because the Italian Customs blocked the shipment. I had to pay 20$ for Customs and 7$ for shipment...

At RS Italy I can buy one of this 820uF caps:

Solid Al cap Radial NS series 4V 820uF
                        http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/elettrolitici/7149525/

Solid Al cap Radial NS series 6.3V 820uF
                        http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/elettrolitici/7149559/

Solid Al cap Radial LS series 6.3V 820uF
                        http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/elettrolitici/7149067/

My question is: any of this is good? I have to mount five of them since there were 5 Nichicon?

@ stevo1210: I don't think it is the same problem you had because I changed 4 memories without success. Maybe the slots are not cleaned but now it is to late to try because I have removed all caps. When I will mount new caps for sure I will clean up RAM-PCI-AGP slots

Thanks
                        Gianni
                        H. J. Brown

Comment

What's wrong with Samxon from Big Pope?

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Hi PC Bonez
                            I have nothing against Big Pope's caps, infact 2 years ago I ordered some Samxon from him.
                            The problem for me is to order things outside Europe because Italian Customs "works" in a strange way and the risk for me is to pay extra tax and wait 2 o 3 months before Customs send me the shipment.
                            I have bought fan, SD memory and other things on Ebay and last time I had problem with Customs. I had to pay taxes and I had to send documents about transition, my Credit Card documentation, the pages of the site where I bought goods...
                            So in few words I don't want to waste time and wait 2 months to get my stuff.
                            That's why I prefer to buy at RS Italy, I have no problem and I can save money because I collect personally components at RS.

I have to search good caps on Ebay Germany and England, if I found there the caps I have non problem to order them.

If there were not such problems, I would buy from Top Cat or Big Pope.

Today I have checked the caps with a LCR and all caps are OK, only the KZG are little bit lower, between 830 ~ 870uF against 1000uF, but the ESR are good.
                            I am surprise to see that Nichicon HM (H0422) are within spec.

Lurking on the forum I found this post from willawake

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...5&postcount=34

so is it OK if I replace 3300uF 6.3V with Nichicon Solid Alcap Radial LS series 2.5V 1500uF?

The page is here http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/elettrolitici/7149026/

Ciao
                            Gianni
                            H. J. Brown

Comment

I have heard of replacing the 3300 caps with 2700uF solids, 1500 seems a big stretch to me.

I tried to buy Samxon X-CON Polymers from Big Joe, but he had no stock eventhough it was on his list. I ended up using Samxon GC. Great caps. For some reason, not as 'heavy' as Rubycon 3300uF caps, but I have never had a problem with GC.
                              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

If they are in Vcore then yes.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

@ mockingbird: probably you are right since willawake wrote "you can replace it with a polymer nearest to half capacitance but better exceeding half" but I have no choice at the moment with RS Italy.

Today I discovered that Mouser sells in Italy but the shipment is quite expensive (20€) if your order is less than 75€ ( http://it.mouser.com/EstimateShippin...eShipping.aspx )., but since I order few caps every now and then.. probably I will stay on RS.
                                  I see they sell Nichicon caps, for instance HZ 3300µ 10V 10X25mm, it would be a good replacement.

I have found another vendor from Poland ( http://www.tme.eu ) but I have to check it and now it is late.

@ PCBONEZ: yes they are on VRM, at the CPU side.

Ciao
                                  Gianni
                                  H. J. Brown

Comment

Gianni - My suggestion is to buy off eBay and risk the package getting delayed at customs...

Just make sure you get a reputable seller if it's from China. I know a place in China you can get Nichicon HM 6.3V 3300uF 10x25 for around 50 cents a piece.
                                    Last edited by mockingbird; 09-20-2011, 09:59 PM.

Comment

mockingbird at the and I followed your suggestion and I bought MBZ. I have checked them in my lab and everything is ok.

This afternoon I had time to solder them: I have used 3300uF 6.3V MBZ on VRM, 2200uF 16V FM on input VRM, Samxon GC 1000uF 6.3V around PCI/AGP and 1000uF 10V FM in other position.
                                      I had not enough 1000uF of GC or FM to recap the board so I used both type, hope this will not be a problem.

Anyway I manage to install XP successfully but I don't want to celebrate the victory till I have fully tested the MOBO.
                                      Due to lack of time I had only time to finish to install XP, I still have to install some missing driver.

Here few pics of "work in progress"

By the way, a friend told me to buy caps on Dealextreme and I made (probably) the mistake to do it. I bought some gadget in the past and I had non problem with this site.

I wrote "probably" because few days ago after the order I noticed two thing:

I ordered 3300µ 10V because they are WG (the capacitor in the bottom left pics).

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/10v-330...ece-pack-94454

Two days later I was lurking for other caps and checking 1000uF 6.3V

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/6-3v-10...ece-pack-94455

I saw they are mixed: Sanyo and Suncon.

So I tried to contact the support but I had no answer, than I checked WG datasheet and I saw that doesn't exist 3300uF 10V... so I don't know what I will receive.

Ciao
                                      Gianni
                                      Attached Files
                                      H. J. Brown

Comment

Oh Deer!!! What PSU are you using there? The front vent style gives it away as being a deer (or deer re-badge)

Sanyo are suncon btw.

EDIT: the 3300uF looks fake. it has a Y-shaped vent. It should be a K. The rubber seals also look wrong.
                                        Last edited by c_hegge; 10-21-2011, 04:56 PM.
                                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                        X