Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Killed a custom HP WLAN chipset - now how to fix it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killed a custom HP WLAN chipset - now how to fix it!

HP Spectre 13-V002TU (Board BSE30 LA-D401P) - Inserted cable backwards and killed some aspect of the PCI Bus

During reassembly I accidentally switched around a flat flex connector that connects the WLAN/Bluetooth Module daughter board to the motherboard, It's labeled so you don't do that but I can't read. Unfortunately the cable is not pinned symmetrically so the electrons fell out somewhere. Realised after attempting to switch it on and it wouldn't boot. Put the cable back the right way and the machine boots but I've lost WiFi functionality.

I'd hoped replacement of the custom WLAN chipset/board would fix it but sadly the problem appears to be on the motherboard side.

Unfortunately this is some weird custom implementation by HP so there's no documentation on what the pinout for the custom connector SHOULD be so I don't even know which pins are which or what voltages I should be expecting to see. I've created a table of what I think the pins are but beyond that I'm stuck.

At these modern machines are so highly integrated I can't even trace the PCB to find out where things have gone wrong as all the traces are in the middle of the multi layer board! there's just the LIF connector on top and one or two traces that immediately disappear into VIAs.

Now whilst there is no WLAN/WiFi the bluetooth module intergrated into the WLAN chipset is still detected by the OS and working. The BT module uses USB which seems to still be working.

I believe the connector is some custom implementation of the M.2 connector as all the voltages are 3.3v (no 12v PCI rail) and the inclusion of the USB Bluetooth module. That being said I don't know that for sure!

What I do know:
    System is getting 3.3v power
    flat flex cable is 0 ohms and has no known shorts
    replaced WLAN module - same problem
    integrated bluetooth is still working - suspect it is using USB
    I'm an idiot

What I don't know:
    How to live forever
    how to fix it

Moving forward - anyone able to suggest how to move forward debugging what might have gone wrong and where I should be looking to test/replace components? I tried finding a board view but wasn't successful

Thank you very much for any help in moving this forward! Appreciate any suggestions!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RontyMonty; 12-17-2019, 03:29 AM.

Re: Killed a custom HP WLAN chipset - now how to fix it!

unfortunately, without pattern or boardview, it is not easy to understand what happened.
    Can you explain better the incorrect insertion of the flat?
    Did you put it upside down?
    I ask you this because I see that the two connectors are not aligned.

Comment

Check qn1 qn2 post pic of the other side

Comment

Originally posted by jasko_jacker View Post
        unfortunately, without pattern or boardview, it is not easy to understand what happened.
        Can you explain better the incorrect insertion of the flat?
        Did you put it upside down?
        I ask you this because I see that the two connectors are not aligned.
        Yeah, wish I could get my hands on one, it's really a pain that these things aren't somewhat easily available.

Despite the odd shape the flex can be installed with the daughter board end in the motherboard LIF connector. I didn't even think to check I'd inserted it right as generally these shaped cables can only physically align in one direction. Lesson learned!

Not so much upside down as backwards, attached image shows the incorrect orientation that caused the fault. DB end is in Motherboard, MB end in Daughterboard.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by RontyMonty; 12-17-2019, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by u666sa View Post
          Check qn1 qn2 post pic of the other side
          Did you want a pic of the other side of the WLAN card, the other side of the Mobo or both?

Comment

Originally posted by RontyMonty View Post
            Did you want a pic of the other side of the WLAN card, the other side of the Mobo or both?
            I don't imagine it be anything more than PCIE card with custom connector, look for fuse on the other side. Sometimes they are labeled F on silk screen, othertimes they are not labeled.
            Post pic of the other side on this card.

Also post pic of the other side of flex.

Does this flex have contact pads on the otherwise. If not, then the question, how could you have burned the card or board.
            Last edited by u666sa; 12-18-2019, 12:58 AM.

Comment

See pic. There is no way in hell you could have made contacts if you flipped cable. Then must be the problem with flex cable. You need to check every single contact, which is not hard. If it is the flex, then you can jumper with budge wire.

The card is HP Spectre 13-V Intel 8260D2W AC WIFI 867Mbps Bluetooth 4.2 W/ Cable LS-D401P

It is basically a dauther card with this thing installed onto it.

And you can order it today for 1300 rubles from Germany. link

But before you do, check that flex.

Comment

Although, I take it back, you might have no flipped but reversed the cable. In which case you need to make sure while the cable is unplugged that you have 3.3V on the motherboard side. Then you check the fuse on the card if it has one.

If you getting 3.3V and no fuse issues, then you just need to order new card, link provided in previous post.

Comment

You are correct, the cable was reversed.

Motherboard has 3.3v power to the 4x power pins but not all of the signal wires have 3.3v, only some. Of course with no schematic I have no idea which pins should be TX+/RX+

The WLAN card was replaced, I bought a new one and it did not fix the problem.

I checked the flex cable, no shorts between pins and all pins have continuity/0 ohms resistance

Comment

Originally posted by RontyMonty View Post
                    Motherboard has 3.3v power to the 4x power pins
                    The WLAN card was replaced, I bought a new one and it did not fix the problem.
                    In other words, Wifi card is good
                    flex is good
                    mobo provides 3.3V to the card

Check clock

Comment

Originally posted by u666sa View Post
                      In other words, Wifi card is good
                      flex is good
                      mobo provides 3.3V to the card

Check clock
                      How can I check for the presence of a good clock signal?

I don't know what pin to look for CLK on but from what I understand with PCIe it should be +3.3v @ 32.768 kHz ?

I don't have an oscilloscope to check for presence of signal.

Comment

Working...
                      X