Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issue with DVD-RW drive, needs calibration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with DVD-RW drive, needs calibration?

Hello!

I have this old 2014 LG, CD DVD-RW Sata drive that stopped reading certain discs, i don't know why or how but suddenly the drive wouldn't recognize any Polaroid dvd-r discs i previously burned with nero or imgburn software.

The weird thing is that this LG drive can successfully record data in those polaroid dvd's but it can't read them afterwards like if the burning process was a failure but it wasn't, the drive did his job because i could read the discs data anywhere else (other computers, blu-ray players)

Then i tried with Sony dvd's, it was the same problem, it can't read anything and shows the discs as "blank discs" rdy for recording BUT the drive reads with no problem many of my old phillips or verbatim discs, why is this happening?

Anyway i've read in many spanish websites that i have to adjust two potentiometers inside the dvd drive, already took apart the dvd drive and yep i can see two little screws one with the C letter and another with the D for dvd i assume. So these websites said CD potentiometer must be 600 ohms' and dvd 700 ohms or bit more but they never tell you why.

With my multimeter set to 2000 ohm i got 185 for the C screw and then 264 for the D screw, thats way too off compared to 600 or 700 ohms plus the screw for the D (dvd?) doesn't reach 700 ohms it just reaches 670 or something but i couldn't get 700 ohms and if i keep turning the screw it goes back to 0.20, 100, 200 and on.

Im just wondering if this dvd drive can be saved but im not sure what would happen if i go from 185 to 600 for the C screw and 264 to 670 or something for the D screw.

ps: and the drive is the problem because i bought 2 different dvd sata drives and all of them work just fine without issues, i even recorded with some of the same polaroid discs with no problems, apologies for the engrish thx in advance!

Re: Issue with DVD-RW drive, needs calibration?

the wesite that said 600/700ohms is full of shit,
    you need to set it with a scope.
    if it was just a matter of 600/700ohms, dont you think they would have fitted resistors instead of pots!

Comment

Those two adjustments are for the laser output current, If you turn it up you will just shorten the laser diodes life. Try cleaning the lens first, its often the laser pickup sensor that goes bad and is not as sensitive to reading the disc. spend the $20.00 and replace the whole drive.
      Last edited by R_J; 07-29-2019, 08:56 AM.

Comment

LOL that's what i thought i mean, those websites never explained in detail the reason why you should move the potentiometers to 600 and 700 ohms they just said "that's the number you need to fix it".

Youtube has many videos with people doing this 600-700 ohms technique even with Xbox and Playstation consoles, anyway yeah np i already bought two drives i just had this one getting dust, btw i tried to restore the original values but lol it's hard those screws are very sensitive so i just managed to get 187 ohms for the C (previously 185) and for the D screw 271 (264 previously).

Comment

you can up the current a tiny bit to get enough time to sell it on if you are lucky . if you go over a tiny bit most times its game over . still have a box full of ps2.s in bits .

Comment

Working...
          X