Krk rp8 g2 capacitor replacement and other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Krk rp8 g2 capacitor replacement and other

Hi, I have two questions. Is there any way to replace all pot's on this speakers with some better ones ?

My left tweeter have some hum coming from it when it's turned On, right one is OK, what do you suggest me to do ? Should I replace all capacitors ?

P.S One of my speaker was already on service because of Volume pot. It wasn't on 0 when you put it, it was on 1 or something like that. I know when I was listening to some songs I noticed that voice of singer is not in the middle it was a little bit on the side, so I was thinking that one speaker is not optimized properly, but it was, both of them were on zeros. So then I took one of them on service and tehnician found out that pot was problem, like it skipped one click when you turn it and it wasnt centered I think that tehnician told me something like that.

I mean except that little problems, I am satisfied with speakers, been using them for 4 years now. I assume when you change those capacitors with some quality ones and maybe pots with some better ones if there is some, you got dope speakers.

Re: Krk rp8 g2 capacitor replacement and other

One thing to look into is the gunk on the circuit boards. If it's anything like the RP5/6 ones, there's a good chance it could cause issues.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=eevblog+krk
    Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

I saw that, but I would like to replace all capacitors with quality ones Nichicon or Rubycon, there inside what yichon or something like that are garbage, thats why I ask about capacitors. And what do you say about pot's any way to get some better ones like thing with capacitors ?

What do you think that black gunk could cause that silent windy noise from tweeter ?

Comment

anyone ?

Comment

Can't remember in which one of those EEVblog videos, but one of them deals exactly with your noise question.

Specificall this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k5MrB99lpU
          Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

I saw all that videos.

But my question is, should I replace all capacitors on both monitors not only because of that hum, but because there are shitty capacitors soldered on the board, and I would like to put some quality ones, and is there better quality knobs maybe to put on them if anyone knows?
            Last edited by Thermaltake; 02-07-2019, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Hum (ie. low-frequency, mains-frequency-related noise) is more often a ground-loop issue; less common, an actual electromagnetic interference issue. Although dried-out filter caps could cause that as well.

Recapping the electronics will definitely improve the longevity of your monitors. Whether that'll also solve your hum, remains to be seen. You'll want to stick with the well-established Japanese brands (Panasonic, Rubycon, United ChemiCon, Nichicon, Elna).

And regarding potentiometers... Here's a starting point:

https://hr.mouser.com/Passive-Compon...6&Ns=Pricing|0

Comment

Thnx for info.

I am familiar with capacitors, I was planning to buy Nichicon and replace all capacitors with them. Just need to check is there any low esr caps or they are all normal caps. , hope that I will find some marks on that Yichon shitty ones that are soldered, and all others inside for that information.

And about pots. I am not familiar with them, I open your link but I don't know a thing about them, what kind of pots are in my montiros and all that. Are those all same brand or ?
                Last edited by Thermaltake; 02-10-2019, 03:08 AM.

Comment

They won't (need to) be low-ESR, since there's no switching power supply anywhere in there, it's all 50/60Hz mains stuff. 105C rated "general purpose" should be just fine, no need for any "exotic" stuff.

Regarding the pots... Well, you'll just have to open them up and check, won't you?

Comment

One question before I go and buy capacitors. Is it worth buying audio capacitors like ELNA, nichicon gold caps for audio capacitors ?
                    Last edited by Thermaltake; 03-10-2019, 03:00 PM.

Comment

In one word...

Nope

Comment

Originally posted by Khron View Post
                        In one word...

Nope
                        Thats what I like to hear

Any suggestion of ebay seller that have original items (capacitors) for good price ? Because there are a lot of fakes on ebay.
                        Last edited by Thermaltake; 03-11-2019, 11:56 PM.

Comment

A few years ago, i saw egekecu mentioned somewhere here on the site, and i've ordered a few times from him. Pretty good prices, free shipping and sometimes, pretty quick delivery

http://www.ebaystores.com/pcmotherboardcapacitorsstore/

The replacements don't need to be low-ESR though, so if you can find "general purpose" 105C ones cheaper than the low-ESR ones, go for those without any worries.
                          Last edited by Khron; 03-12-2019, 05:37 AM.

Comment

A few years ago, i saw egekecu mentioned somewhere here on the site, and i've ordered a few times from him. Pretty good prices, free shipping and sometimes, pretty quick delivery

http://www.ebaystores.com/pcmotherboardcapacitorsstore/

The replacements don't need to be low-ESR though, so if you can find "general purpose" 105C ones cheaper than the low-ESR ones, go for those without any worries.
                            Thanks!

Yes I figure it out because they don't need fast charge and discharge to need Low esr caps. if I got it correctly. But thanks for explanation.
                            Last edited by Thermaltake; 03-12-2019, 10:43 AM.

Comment

One more question.

Should I replace only this big capacitors or this little ones like 50V 47uf also ? Or only those bigger ones are more important like 50V 4700uF and 35V 1000uF ?

P.S.
                              That egekecu on ebay is expensive a loooot.
                              Last edited by Thermaltake; 03-31-2019, 09:59 AM.

Comment

The big ones definitely have a harder life than the small ones - the latter are more likely "just" local decoupling or DC-blocking in the signal path.

Well, the pricing issue is relative - the only 4700u / 50v available there is one of those "for audio" type things, which do tend to be (pointlessly) overpriced. And it's the snap-in kind (10mm pitch), so it wouldn't fit your board anyway.

I'd argue that you might be able to get away with something like this, to replace the 4700u ones:
                                https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pcs-Nichi...1&isGTR=1#shId

Or if you wanna get creative and have some non-acidic-curing RTV / silicone, you could get two 4-packs of those, solder the ones where the stock ones were, and add the second ones underneith the board (laid flat), with some RTV / silicone to hold them in place.

Or you could measure the voltage across those big caps, and if it's closer to 30V or so, you might be able to get away with 35V caps.

Or actually, one other alternative might be checking with TME - they carry some Japanese caps too, and who knows, they might even have a local distributor or partner in your country / aread (so you could maybe order through them, perhaps without needing to pay for shipping).

Comment

I will tell me friend to replace all of them small ones and big ones with same V and uF. I will order from different sellers, what can I do. Here in my country they don't have Nichicon or Rubycon, only Samwha and some low quality caps like that

I can't see because of black gunk and position what range are those capacitors on the picture that I circled if someone can help me so I can order them too, and to tell me if they are normal caps or low esr.

I mean when you do some maintenance it needs to be done properly right ? what do you think ?

P.S
                                  On the upper board there are few Low ESR caps, as well as on lower board, those few yellow caps are Low ESR.
                                  Last edited by Thermaltake; 04-01-2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Did you intentionally ignore part of my previous message? Specifically the last part, about TME (or potential distributors in your area)?

https://www.tme.eu/hr/katalog/konden...6%2C2650%2C122

That being said, i don't think i'd bother with low-ESR caps in something like this, there's no real reason to use those. "Just" general-purpose 105C-rated caps (preferably Japanese) should be just fine, for years to come.
                                    Last edited by Khron; 04-01-2019, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Did you intentionally ignore part of my previous message? Specifically the last part, about TME (or potential distributors in your area)?

https://www.tme.eu/hr/katalog/konden...6%2C2650%2C122

That being said, i don't think i'd bother with low-ESR caps in something like this, there's no real reason to use those. "Just" general-purpose 105C-rated caps (preferably Japanese) should be just fine, for years to come.
                                      No I did not ignore it, thanks for link, but minimal order is 400 caps I dont need that much of them. I am figuring out if I order from ebay min. 10 of ones I need and I will use like only 4, I will have to donate the rest to my friend, and they are not cheap.

I am wondering why did they put few low esr then inside hmm...

P.S
                                      If someone can take a look at pic. of board to tell me values of those few caps I cant read.
                                      Last edited by Thermaltake; 04-01-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Wait, what? Ok, they might have minimum quantities for SOME of their items but NOT ALL.

Here, i filtered the search down to 3300u and 4700u 50v caps. Minimum quantity for each is ONE.

https://www.tme.eu/hr/katalog/konden...0%3A1437210%3B

Did you even read the description to see WHAT capacitors those were? The search was sorted by ascending price. The lowest prices are, of course, for large / bulk quantities ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies_of_scale ). The cheapest one on that list are, and i'm quite sure you didn't look / notice, 0.1uF, 0.22uF, 0.33uF 50V caps.

You weren't even trying...

Comment

Working...
                                        X