Sceptre X322BV-HD*WXC100 no picture and no sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sceptre X322BV-HD*WXC100 no picture and no sound

I've got a Sceptre X322BV that has no picture and no sound. The symptoms are similar to that of the Vizio flat screens that I've seen listed here. Edit: Those symptoms being: When powered on, the red "standby" light changes to blue, but no picture and no sound. Also, it will not power off, you have to unplug it from the wall to shut it down. So since the symptoms are similar, I've been looking in the same direction. Please tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Here is what I know with the above in mind. There are 5 1117B regulators on this board. The readings from these are as follows:
    Main Board# T.RSC8.10B 12305

U1
    1 0.00
    2 1.25
    3 2.89

U2
    1 0.00
    2 3.28
    3 5.23

U3
    1 0.00
    2 3.31
    3 5.24

U4
    1 0.00
    2 1.23
    3 3.24

U6
    1 0.57
    2 1.81
    3 3.24

I have a working model of this same TV, but the Main Board # is different.

The same number of regulators, but different readings.
    Main Board# TRSC8.10A 11153

U1
    1 0.00
    2 1.20
    3 3.20

U2
    1 0.00
    2 1.70
    3 3.18

U3
    1 0.00
    2 3.15
    3 5.01

U4
    1 0.00
    2 1.19
    3 3.18

U6
    1 0.55
    2 1.77
    3 3.17

I've inspected (visually) all the caps on the boards, and none appear to be puffy or show signs of leakage. The power supply boards look good as well. By taking the readings from the working model I was hoping to have a comparison on the readings that will help in diagnostics, but with the different board #'s, that may not help.

Any help would be appreciated. I've searched this sub-forum on the problem on this particular unit, but can't seem to find anything. So if something exists already, please point me to it. I'm still new here and haven't found my way around yet.
    Last edited by DesertRat; 10-19-2013, 12:35 PM.

Re: Sceptre X322BV-HD*WXC100 no picture and no sound

Hi, I was hoping to see if you found the solution to this problem. I am working on the exact same tv with the exact same problems.

Comment

I apologize for not getting back to this sooner. I got sidetracked by my wife's car, needing a head gasket and timing belt. Needless to say the TV got put on the back burner, but I would read, and check things in the evenings when it was too cold or dark to work on the car. Here's what I found:

I checked all the voltages on the PS and it had the voltages it was supposed to have. Either 24 volts, 12 or 5, and the big cap read 384 volts (within the range it should be, perhaps a little high, but still within specs).

I opened it up completely examining the CCFL's and making sure there were no burned out bulbs. I couldn't find anything wrong, that is, until I went back to the main board. I discovered I had no voltage to the T-CON board at the main board connector. I also found that I had miniscule voltage (0.05v) on the BLO or (BL_ON) connection on the main board. I tried everything I could think of or that may have been suggested, and no joy. Still no voltages enough to make things work. I even tried a couple jumper wires temporarily to see if that would work. Still no joy.

I ordered a new main board "T.RSC8.10B 12305" and hooked it up, the problem still existed. No voltages on the BLO pin, and the T_CON connection on the board. It's a good thing this was on the back burner and gave me time to think about it. In the OP I list two different boards, the one for this TV and the one for a working TV of the same model, just a different design inside. But it got me to thinking about the two and I decided to take a chance and order another main board, but this time the "TRSC8.10A 11153" to see if it would work. I thought if all else fails, I've got a second main board for the second TV listed.

I got the new main board today (the TRSC8.10A 11153) so I checked all the pins to make sure everything matched where voltages and grounds were concerned. They are identical in the pinouts, yes, they've moved them around a bit on the board, but they are a match. So I hooked up the new board to the TV leaving the two wire inverter connector off and unplugged from the T_CON board so I could check for voltages on the main board. There was voltage on the BLO pin 3.3v and 12 volts on the 3 red wires on the T_CON connection. Wooohooo! So I hit the power button to turn it off to finish hooking it up, (and another wooohooo it turned off)! I connected those two connections and stood it up on edge and turned it back on, anticipation, anticipation, anticipation, and there it was the Sceptre logo across the screen.

If you are experiencing this same problem check your voltages on the BLO and the T_CON connections on the board. The BLO should be 3.3v, and the three red wires on the end of the connection should be 12 volts, or 11.?? up near 12 volts. Without the 12 volts on the T_CON connection, there are no voltages on the other connections that have lower voltages as well. I've added a couple of pix to show where the connections are that I'm talking about.

If your voltages are more like mine, then I'd recommend replacing the main board with the TRSC8.10A 11153 not the 10B 12305. I'm sitting here watching a beautiful picture on this once dead TV. It is quite possible I got a bad or dead 10B 12305 board on ebay. But I also got the 10A 11153 on ebay, and it works like a charm. I'm just posting this to help others with the same problem, to save them some time and money.

Solved
      Attached Files
      Last edited by DesertRat; 01-29-2014, 10:06 PM.

Comment

GREAT information DesertRat!!!...Your post was very helpful...THANKS!!!

Comment

I have an RCA made by LG which is identical to this model and have the identical symptoms. No voltage at BLON and no voltage at T-Con. All other voltages seem to be present.

I'm trying to troubleshoot the board as I can't for the life of me find an RCA replacement. In the end I may have to replace it with a Sceptre board and have a mismatch on the TV logo and the Splash screen. Not really what I want to do...

All my caps look and measure good and the regulators are outputting proper voltages. This thing is a pain in my ass.

Comment

have the same problem...my friend gave me a 32 rca...power light comes on. only way to shut it off is to unplug it...no sign of any problems on the power board.....im guessing theres a glitch on the main....these boards look exactly the same..it wouldint matter to me if its missmatched...as long as it worked....my rca model is RLCDV3282A-B

Comment

Thinking this is an extension of the regulator problems on the Vizio's...

Oh well, my replacement board will be here today or tomorrow. Will post back results.

Comment

Replacement main board fixed it. Cheers.

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                  I got a Sceptre X332BV-HD without anything on screen but the Sceptre logo! Nothing I could do to reset or turn off the TV !
                  Verify all voltages on PSU and main board, found nothing unusual.
                  Based on knowledge of fixing PC memory and bios since 1995, I thought that could be a memory issue of lost contact of pins to PCB from memory die.
                  So, I took the main board out, put in a toaster oven set at 200F and 12 minutes to bake it.
                  And voila, it works again without any hick up !
                  Tried to bake the board is dangerous, except that you know what you can do and expect it will fail / work !
                  No need to buy any replacement that cost $70 ! I could be wrong of doing that kind of baking the board, but main reason is some lost contacts from memory die to main board.
                  If anyone has a proper equipment to re-soldering the memory chip, that will make a better fix.

Comment

Hi, I just wanted to say this. I have a Sceptre X325BV. It is 1080P 32 inch and not an LED set. Had the same problem as the original post. The light says it turned on, nothing happens, no back lamp, no sound, can't turn it back off without unplugging it. After 5 to 10 times of plugging it in hitting the button it will work. I also have the mainboard part #T.RSC8.10B 12305. My voltages checked good, similar to the original post. I also measured U5. That had a 5 volt input and a 3.3 volt output. Anyways I could not find anything wrong looking at the main board. Measurements looked ok but I am not an expert. When the TV worked I could push on the board to make it flex and that had no effect at all, the TV continued to work. I was not going to spend any money on this TV since it was barely used and did not even have any dust inside of it. I did not want a used board of unknown quality. Why spend money repairing something that must be junk because it failed so soon. I was about to just throw it out but I decided what the heck? I also baked the board at 200F. I put it in my toaster oven, warmed it up to 200F. It started to smell funny after only 2 minutes so I turned the oven back off. After it cooled off I reinstalled the mainboard. It has been several days now and is working flawlessly. I know the board did not get hot enough to melt the solder, but something changed because now it works. One of the capacitors looked like it was starting to expand slightly during the process but looked ok after it cooled off. If anybody has any idea why this worked let me know, just curious. If the TV fails again I will try to replace that same capacitor first to see if that will fix it. However all is good... for now.

Comment

Heating a board at 200F won't melt solder, however it would result in some, albeit small, degree of thermal expansion between board and components, and perhaps, maybe, this could improve a borderline/intermittent connection, but probably only temporarily, so I'd expect the problem to return at some point, but who knows! GL

Comment

hey desertrat, i have the same problem that you had. i am looking to replace the main board as you instructed, but i am a lil hung up. there are several different versions of the 10A 11153 board available, while they all look the same, i was curious as to what the numbers where on your old board and on the one you replaced it with. see attachments for the numbers i am referencing.
                        Attached Files

Comment

CAVEAT TO THIS:

I ordered the T.RSC8.10A 11153 board to replace my T.RSC8.10B 12305 board because my issue lined up perfectly with DesertRat's. However, after I replaced the board I noticed that the TV would turn on, but only the backlight would come on. The fix to that is replacing the EEPROM (U16 chip) on the T.RSC8.10A 11153 board with the old EEPROM (U16 chip) from the T.RSC8.10B 12305 board. Problem solved

The reason being is because even though the board functions almost identically to the T.RSC8.10B 12305, the EEPROM (which is in a sense a BIOS to a computer system) has a slightly different code of instructions. I'll put it simply like this:

** TV 1 is in the same family model series as TV 2. The only difference between the two TV's is the size of the screen.
                          -- TV 1 is a 42"
                          -- TV 2 is a 32"
                          -- TV 1 and TV 2 both have almost an identical motherboard, but the difference is the code in the EEPROM.
                          -- TV 1's EEPROM has code that ensures it runs and displays properly on a 42" where as TV 2's EEPROM coding ensures that it runs properly on a 32" screen.
                          -- NOTE: Some manufactures chose to have one EEPROM that contained all the coding for the whole family lineup hence why you can get away with ordering a motherboard from the same series and it works on all of their different size TVs.
                          -- Conclusion: In this case, I ordered a motherboard from a Sceptre 42" LCD for a Sceptre 32" LCD and the difference was the EEPROM coding.

My model number TV is X322BV-HD*CK12BW2
                          Last edited by Naturallyk2; 01-03-2015, 09:01 PM.

Comment

I have two TVs with the same problem. RCAs with the 12305 mainboard.

Will order a replacement main board.

What a crap TV. The manufacturer should be sued. The boards fail after just a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRat View Post
                              I apologize for not getting back to this sooner. I got sidetracked by my wife's car, needing a head gasket and timing belt. Needless to say the TV got put on the back burner, but I would read, and check things in the evenings when it was too cold or dark to work on the car. Here's what I found:

I checked all the voltages on the PS and it had the voltages it was supposed to have. Either 24 volts, 12 or 5, and the big cap read 384 volts (within the range it should be, perhaps a little high, but still within specs).

I opened it up completely examining the CCFL's and making sure there were no burned out bulbs. I couldn't find anything wrong, that is, until I went back to the main board. I discovered I had no voltage to the T-CON board at the main board connector. I also found that I had miniscule voltage (0.05v) on the BLO or (BL_ON) connection on the main board. I tried everything I could think of or that may have been suggested, and no joy. Still no voltages enough to make things work. I even tried a couple jumper wires temporarily to see if that would work. Still no joy.

I ordered a new main board "T.RSC8.10B 12305" and hooked it up, the problem still existed. No voltages on the BLO pin, and the T_CON connection on the board. It's a good thing this was on the back burner and gave me time to think about it. In the OP I list two different boards, the one for this TV and the one for a working TV of the same model, just a different design inside. But it got me to thinking about the two and I decided to take a chance and order another main board, but this time the "TRSC8.10A 11153" to see if it would work. I thought if all else fails, I've got a second main board for the second TV listed.

I got the new main board today (the TRSC8.10A 11153) so I checked all the pins to make sure everything matched where voltages and grounds were concerned. They are identical in the pinouts, yes, they've moved them around a bit on the board, but they are a match. So I hooked up the new board to the TV leaving the two wire inverter connector off and unplugged from the T_CON board so I could check for voltages on the main board. There was voltage on the BLO pin 3.3v and 12 volts on the 3 red wires on the T_CON connection. Wooohooo! So I hit the power button to turn it off to finish hooking it up, (and another wooohooo it turned off)! I connected those two connections and stood it up on edge and turned it back on, anticipation, anticipation, anticipation, and there it was the Sceptre logo across the screen.

If you are experiencing this same problem check your voltages on the BLO and the T_CON connections on the board. The BLO should be 3.3v, and the three red wires on the end of the connection should be 12 volts, or 11.?? up near 12 volts. Without the 12 volts on the T_CON connection, there are no voltages on the other connections that have lower voltages as well. I've added a couple of pix to show where the connections are that I'm talking about.

If your voltages are more like mine, then I'd recommend replacing the main board with the TRSC8.10A 11153 not the 10B 12305. I'm sitting here watching a beautiful picture on this once dead TV. It is quite possible I got a bad or dead 10B 12305 board on ebay. But I also got the 10A 11153 on ebay, and it works like a charm. I'm just posting this to help others with the same problem, to save them some time and money.

Solved
                              that is great, i have a secptre x320bv-hdc *80k12bw2 same issue, no power no sound , i have the same main board as what is used in the x322bv-hd*wxc100 tv that you own ( trsc8.10B 12305) i use hope this fix my problem like it did your .

Comment

Anyone with a working power supply know what the inverter transformer resistances should be?
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by lookimback; 01-14-2015, 10:19 PM.
                                ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                                  Anyone with a working power supply know what the inverter transformer resistances should be?
                                  Is there a number on the transformer?
                                  We have seen a couple of these megmeet boards where the high voltage blue caps have bad solder joints - a couple even carbonised the board- maybe worth
                                  checking.
                                  Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                                    Sorry, the power supply I have is totally different than your model or I would help out.

I have a X322BV-HD*WXC100 for repair with the exact same symptoms as OP. It has the exact mainboard also - T.RSC8.10B 12305.

I believe the problem is a BGA issue under the outlined IC. Applying pressure on it with the butt end of a screwdriver and powering the TV on provided picture (and more than likely sound but the speakers are mounted to the rear panel and were disconnected). This would also be the reason a slight deformation by placing this board in the oven would work (temporarily - and I would never recommend baking any electronics in the oven ). I would love to reball this to have a look under the chip but that depends on what my customer wants to spend. I will provide an update when I hear back about proceeding.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

must be the part.....had the blue light only problem.....put a little pressure on it, now no blue light...just red power light........must have cracked some solder under that chip......think ill pop it off...think ill have to get a new board now anyway.....

Comment

decided to heat that part up for about 60 seconds with a heat gun....well what do you know....damm thing turns on now!!...leave it running for a while i guess...use it as a computer monitor...see how it goes.....

Comment

Working...
                                        X