Sun GH19PS — bad NT68F63, working dump attached

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun GH19PS — bad NT68F63, working dump attached

Sun Microsystem monitor, GH19PS chassis. Originally liquid damaged, but it has nothing to do with the issue at hand, the chassis was rusted but for some reason the boards are completely clean, and the panel didn't have infiltration either.
    Turns on only when it wants to, and when it does it freezes after a few seconds on the no signal banner.
    No bad capacitors, PSU runs fine.

So I thought it was a firmware issue, unfortunately, it was nowhere to be found. I still tried to read it nonetheless (using RT809F in VGA ISP): lots of read error, couldn't get anything meaningful.
    µC was detected as NT68F63, but I didn't really have a second thought about it…
    Until I removed the motherboard and took a look at it. Then I realized it was *the* infamous Novatek chip from Syncmaster series. In a PLCC socket.
    It wasn't showing the same symptoms as usual though, but I gave it a little bit of heat (well… more than a little, maybe 300°C for a minute), and it fired right up. So I read the firmware again and it came out without error on the first try – attached below —.

Worked without issue afterwards, but I know it'll not last. It's good enough for now, as I don't know where to source good new NT68F63 (if it is even possible), the ones I bought previously (for Samsung monitors) from Aliexpress were obviously not new.
    Attached Files
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Re: Sun GH19PS — bad NT68F63, working dump attached

Everytime I see a PLCC I press on it firmly or reseat it. They are always trouble makers over time. I am not sure why you heated that IC, since it is just sitting in a socket, unless there was water underneath it?

Comment

Re: Sun GH19PS — bad NT68F63, working dump attached

Unfortunately reseating doesn't help, it seems to be a failure internal to the IC. Pretty much like what commonly happens in the Samsung Syncmaster 710N and similar monitors (but they don't have a PLCC socket) I'd guess.
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Working...
      X