Zig X70 Caravan battery Charger Component identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zig X70 Caravan battery Charger Component identification

Hi, there I got this battery charger in for repair. The component is all burnt so I am struggling to identify the part number I think its a metal oxide varistor but don't know its value can anyone confirm this component and its possible values..any info would be much appreciated
    Attached Files
    Your never to old to learn

Re: Zig X70 Caravan battery Charger Component identification

If you remove the black heatshrink can you read any numbers? what is its board designation? is it across the a/c line?
    If not it should not be to difficult to find a replacement
    something like a 7D471K
    Last edited by R_J; 07-21-2019, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply I removed the heat shrink but nothing is visible and yes it's across the ac line straight after the fuse before going to the rest of the board..thanks

Comment

I would remove that blown MOV and start checking to see if anything else got damaged or not and see if the unit still working since MOV is not needed for the unit to function, it is for protection.
        If you find not damaged component then you can power it up using 100W incandescent lamp in place of the fuse and no load connected to see if come alive or not, if it does, the measure the diameter of the MOV, then it is just a meter of getting the rated clamping Voltage that is above you normal AC LINE Voltage.
        Never stop learning
        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

is it powered from mains or generator ?

Comment

Okey budm i will remove it see if anything else was damaged and see if it will power up

Petehall347 it was running off a generator as it wasn't on a caravan site to hook up too but it was my generator he used which has built-in surge protection as I use it for outside pa

Comment

I have removed the component and can just see the part number (471kd07 ) but can't find a replacement in the Uk is there a compatible replacement I can get. thanks
              Attached Files

Comment

Just look for 7D471K Varistor.
                7D = 7mm dia.
                471 = is the Voltage rating.

I.E. https://irishelectronics.ie/7D471K-Varistor-Resistor
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

The generator is the problem if it's blowing 300VAC MOV that turns on at 423-517VDC. I would check if it's working. The regulator might be pooched or it needs a minimum load, as most generators are savage.

For replacement, consider Epcos/TDK S07K300 (B72207S0301K101) or bigger 10mm S10K300 if it will fit.
                  Last edited by redwire; 07-23-2019, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the information I have ordered a new one and will let you know the outcome.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by garrymc123 View Post
                      Hi, there I got this battery charger in for repair. The component is all burnt so I am struggling to identify the part number I think its a metal oxide varistor but don't know its value can anyone confirm this component and its possible values..any info would be much appreciated
                      ZIC x-80 is a similar story, but another detail burned down. Please help me determine its meaning. Thank you for any information. Highlighted in red in the photo
                      Attached Files

Comment

That is a high voltage film capacitor, likely rated for at least 400v and something like 1uF of capacitance.
                        Most likely it is parallel to the two large filter capacitors and it is very strange that it would fail and nothing else...
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by garrymc123 View Post
                          Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                          That is a high voltage film capacitor, likely rated for at least 400v and something like 1uF of capacitance.
                          Most likely it is parallel to the two large filter capacitors and it is very strange that it would fail and nothing else...
                          Thank you for your time. Below are real photos of the place of the fire. Visually, no other damage is visible. Unfortunately, there is no ZIC X-80 scheme available, I have to bother you. If you need to take any additional photo, tell me which one. We really need the parameters of this part.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Desolder the capacitor and clean the area well.
                            Then check on the underside what it connects to.
                            If it is in parallel with the two large caps you can just give it a test without that capacitor present.
                            But check first if the fuse is blown.
                            And I recommend to use an incandescent light bulb in series with the unit, for example directly replacing the fuse:
                            If the lamp turns on and remains bright you still have a big problem on the primary side...
                            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Desolder the capacitor and clean the area well.
                              Then check on the underside what it connects to.
                              If it is in parallel with the two large caps you can just give it a test without that capacitor present.
                              But check first if the fuse is blown.
                              And I recommend to use an incandescent light bulb in series with the unit, for example directly replacing the fuse:
                              If the lamp turns on and remains bright you still have a big problem on the primary side...
                              Thank you, I will do it. I will definitely give you the information. Please tell me, is it really not realistic to find the circuit of this device?

Comment

Probably not possible to find this exact units schematic, but you can use any TL494 based schematic as a reference, see here for example, there are a couple TL494 schematics for AT and ATX power supplies for computers: https://danyk.cz/s_atx_en.html
                                In these schematics it looks like the capacitor that burned up is not in parallel with the big filtering capacitors, so if that is correct you will need to replace it.
                                A good starting point is probably 1uF and at a minimum a 230v rating, but much better with 400v.

Comment

Probably not possible to find this exact units schematic, but you can use any TL494 based schematic as a reference, see here for example, there are a couple TL494 schematics for AT and ATX power supplies for computers: https://danyk.cz/s_atx_en.html
                                  In these schematics it looks like the capacitor that burned up is not in parallel with the big filtering capacitors, so if that is correct you will need to replace it.
                                  A good starting point is probably 1uF and at a minimum a 230v rating, but much better with 400v.
                                  thank you very much, I will try. I'll let you know what happens

Comment

As promised, I share the result. A 0.63mF 400V film capacitor was installed. I turned on all the 12 V equipment of the Caravan, while the battery was half discharged. After 8 hours of operation, the battery was charged. Then I connected the compressor and pumped up the wheels of the caravan. It works! I think that everything is fine at this stage. What are your opinions?

Comment

Sounds good to me!
                                      It is unusual but sometimes capacitors short internally.
                                      I guess that is what happened here so that is why nothing else was damaged...

Comment

Sounds good to me!
                                        It is unusual but sometimes capacitors short internally.
                                        I guess that is what happened here so that is why nothing else was damaged...
                                        I think that's a bit not the reason. I didn't know about the existence of X80 in my caravan. at the time when the caravan was connected to the 240V network, I connected a separate charger to the battery terminals. P.S. it's bad not to know the device and the devices of what you use)))). Thanks again to everyone

Comment

Working...
                                        X