Xbox one S shuts off randomly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox one S shuts off randomly

Hello. I have an xbox one s that shuts off randomly, with no warning, no beeps, not overheating.

I had this issue once before, it would turn off when playing and it ended up being a one of the gpu mosfets, it was the gate had low resistance to ground. I guess it could still boot up with only one power mostet, but shut itself off when it needed more power.

Anyway. This xbox "seems" to have good mosfets, being that all gates have the same resistance to ground.

It is a pain to diagnose since sometimes it can take over an hour to turn itself off. Yet sometimes it only take 2 minutes. and playing a game seems to not speed up the turning off.

When it turns off, the image goes black instantly then the light turns off, then you can hear the hdd spin down.

Things I have tried: Replacing the power supply did not work (thankfully it took only 2 minutes to fail with a known working suppy). Nor replacing the power switch board.
    Also I have tried booting without disc drive and wifi adapter, and it still fails, so I can discard all of those.

Any tips on troubleshooting this kind of "random" shut down?

Re: Xbox one S shuts off randomly

Try changing the thermal compound on the cpu, it means removing the fan and heatsink but its not hard to do.

Comment

Originally posted by pintglass View Post
      Try changing the thermal compound on the cpu, it means removing the fan and heatsink but its not hard to do.
      Thanks for your reply, but it is not overheating. If it were, the fan would spin up and there would be an onscreen message, then power off with a tone. None of which has happened.

Comment

does it stay off or can you instantly re-start it?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          does it stay off or can you instantly re-start it?
          I can press the power button to start it again. And it seems it doesnt matter if it is already warm or not, it could last another hour, or another 2 minutes.

Comment

Working...
          X