Pantum P2502W Toner Reset Chip help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pantum P2502W Toner Reset Chip help

I used 100KHz, but I'm guessing it takes in a lower frequency, as a brute force Read/Write approach at that frequency fails on all cases. So I'm going to bump it down to 20KHz. I'm going to write a different brute force code for the Arduino later today. I'll provide the source for anyone else who may want to try.

If I were to take a guess, some of the open I2C addresses actually form a serial no., which the printer can then read off. This would make it harder to counterfeit.

To further the study, If the brute and the sniff doesn't do anything, I'll hook my Arduino up to the printer as a slave and log the printer's commands.
    Turning up the dial, one notch at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirl1111 View Post
      I removed the Pantum software and only have the driver. Says low toner but still printing.
      Says i still have about 200 pages to go.
      Reload the toner outside with a mask. I read how bad that stuff is in your lungs. Its carbon and fine plastic granules that will melt into your lungs.
      What clock speed did you get for the chip?
      So 0x5B is the chip address in the printer?

Hmm gotta try that.. never think that would work

Comment

I hooked it up with an aduino.but only read 0's. Since it doesn't have the contacts for the address bits, how to proceed?
        remove the blobs?
        I refilled the toner, so now it still says that the toner is low.

Comment

blobs?
          those are chips.

Comment

Any help please, I bought a brand new Pantum 2500W Laser printer about 2 months ago, after printing about 150 pages it showed low on toner. I bought 200g on eBay, disassembled the cartridge toner and took the side cap off and refilled with 150g of toner.After having printed around 50 pages, I get a message saying the life of the cartridge expired. I haven't the clue to perform any of the previous steps done on the forum here so what are my choices, the laser cartridge seems more expensive than the printer itself. I might have no choice but to sell it without the cartridge t a cheaper price and buy a laser printer that can be refilled without the hassles I'm going thru, any suggestions, please advise.

Comment

it should be obvious that nobody here worked out how to reset it yet.

Comment

I know that the chips are under the blobs...
                Lighten up!!
                I unfortunately had to use the printer and the page count hit the max. It totally is dead and has no lights.
                I haven't had time to work on it for a while.
                Mine uses the same chip that is pictured in the first post. I saw chips for sale but the contacts were not the same.
                I want to try covering the data contact and wire another eeprom up (on the arduino) but have a lead from the data pin in the printer to the external chip.
                I suppose close circuit to the printer chip ground.
                Anyone have any thoughts on this?
                I won't be able to get to it for a few days.
                I would like to see the Arduino code!

Comment

Did anyone just buy a chip? if so where?
                  There are different chip contact designs.
                  I'm not sure if they can be interchanged.

Comment

Alright, yall.
                    Whats new?
                    I'll blow $10 on some random chip if one of you wants to scanalyse it.
                    I was thinking I would have to "steal" a new cartridge every other time I need one by switching tags and stickers and returning the old one as new.

I had to buy a whole printer because my local store didnt have a cartridge in stock.

Heres an idea... Is there a cheapo wifi printer that I CAN just keep full of bone black and paper? I dont need quality images I just want words down on a page.

In any case. Im with you and willing to spend a buck or three to solve it since I already invested a hundred which is half ENTIRELY wasted sitting in the spare room. Here comes another $40 on a 1k-page cartrige that will only put out 600 actual pages. *shrug

Let us know if you make any headway, everyone.

Comment

sleuth browsing has got me some hits of interest BTW

Pantum seems to be a Samsung clone.
                      Samsung chips ARE available.

Also my cell phone camera is junk.

I got a new printer like I mentioned.
                      printed a bunch - works good.
                      switched the old cartridge back in and - no go
                      put the chip from the new cartridge in the old one and viola!
                      Works good!

PS BTW Some russian gents were talking about covering one of the contacts so no new write information could be recorded.
                      - so whats an
                      -SCL
                      and
                      SDA-??
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello everyone,

First time to the forums and I wanted to thank you all for working on this project and putting together some great information. I just wanted to report what I found, just now, that I believe may possibly lead to something. I am not a programer by any means; so here goes nothing!

Going off what @tuskiomi found on the toner cartridge, where the SDA and SCL is located, and what @Dreiseratops said about covering one of the contacts, here's the order of events I did.

1) My printer was showing a solid "Orange" light (Toner empty or expired and have not been able to print for days even with power resets)

2) Took a piece of electrical tape and blocked the SCL contact on the Toner Cartridges Chip (Did this on accident)

3) Turned ON the printer and later realized that I covered the wrong contact

4) Turned OFF printer and moved the electrical tape onto the SDA contact

5) Turned ON Printer, Printer did not initialize and gave me the same solid Orange Light

6) Turned OFF printer and removed the electrical tape

7) Turned ON printer and the printer initialized and gave me a blinking Orange Light (low toner)

8) I am now able to print for the first time in days.

I am basing this idea off of a trick that someone had done on a samsung printer years ago where he bypassed the SDA so that the EEPROM would re-calibrate to zero. (His printer used older chipless toner cartridges)

My thought was if I blocked the SDA contact on the toner cartridge and turn on the printer it might do something similar. Sure enough something happened and I got a different outcome that now allows me to print.

My next task is to get some toner refill and see if the cart will register as full, I have no doubts that I am on the last leg of toner inside the starter cartridge.

I hope this helps and if anyone can confirm these steps allows their "dead" cartridge to work, we can hopefully get to the bottom of this.

Thanks!

P.S. reference for the Samsung printer and how he bypassed the EEPROM is detailed here. http://rumburg.org/printerhack/

Comment

Can you see this?

Ok so I currently have an old cartridge running a new chip with the one labelled 1 covered with a tiny sticker cut from a sticky note.

This pic was while I was trying your rescue operation, ELMP.

This is a brand new cartridge with the same contact covered that I get the solid orange with no matter what combination of off, on, insert cartridge.... ummm

I get a solid orange light when I cover #2, #3, or #4 with my old cartrige containing a new chip.

I get a solid orange light in every situation using the new cartridge containing my old chip.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/f...GIzNnFhOGFZOVE

Just for claritys sake
                          1=VCC
                          2=SCL
                          3=SDA
                          4=GND
                          RiTe?

There are also contacts on A, B, & C. hmm...?

blergh! trouble following the info in that hacking link. Im going crosseyed.

Oh! Ok so...?
                          printer off - covered #2- printer on - solid orange light?
                          printer off - Covered #3 - printer on - solid orange light?
                          printer off - uncovered everything - printer on - blinking orange light and can now print?
                          ^v
                          I did it wrong then.
                          Last edited by Dreiseratops; 02-07-2017, 07:03 PM. Reason: Derp...

Comment

Just for claritys sake
                            1=VCC
                            2=SCL
                            3=SDA
                            4=GND
                            RiTe?

Oh! Ok so...?
                            printer off - uncovered everything - printer on - blinking orange light and can now print?
                            ^v
                            I did it wrong then.
                            Yes, I believe the way you numbered it in your picture is correct.

Yes the steps you listed, at the end of your message, is the order of events of how I was able to print again. I believe in theory you would only need to:

1) Cover #3 and turn on printer (Let it register a solid orange light that you have no toner)

2) Turn it off and remove the cover

3) Turn on printer and let it read for a toner and this time, in theory, it would have reset its own memory to read the toner's levels instead of the cartridges life cycle...i think. again I'm not a programer.

I still haven't gotten the toner refill yet to try and see if I can make the printer think it's a full new cartridge.

I do not know what those other contacts are, but I would guess it is to send electricity to heat up the toner inside? That is my wild guess, I don't know how laser printer works, I just like them over Ink for my printing needs haha.

I'll report back again when I get the toner refill and see if it lasts.

Good Luck!

Comment

Wellp...
                              Still no good. Always solid orange. Like the chip actually died...

Still works with the old cartridge with the new chip and Im keeping pad 1 covered.
                              Super odd if thats the 3.3v.

There must be a fail safe mode. I cant even get a test page :/
                              Oh theres a whole nother avenue of approach!
                              Maybe even re-kajiger the driver... cant be that... eh yeah it can.

Comment

Originally posted by wolvmarine View Post
                                I had just added toner to the cartridge and now its saying its low 4%. Looks like I tripped something when I opened it. Has anyone gotten any further on this project?

If not is there a good cheap laser jet that can be refilled properly?
                                I found a solution for a Samsung 2955 printer...they're selling for $60 on eBay with free shipping. Is that cheap enuf for you? Contact me via private e-mail for my solution. I love the printer because it prints the back without putting the paper back in and doing it separately.

Comment

Its cheap enough but we want to not throw out the printers that we got duped into buying.

I kind of thought that particular samsung printer was too similar not to be the same thing...
                                  Does the cartridge fit in the pantum??

Can you post pics of the cartridge? Particularly the chip and the ends with the fit posts...

Im already researching a re-fillable color lazer to replace this with.
                                  Couple hundo and youre set for life if you get the right model BrotherPrinter.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreiseratops View Post
                                    ^v
                                    I did it wrong then.
                                    Seems to me you never tried only #3 covered because you never uncovered #2 (which was a mistake) until after.

Only cover #3, printer on, later off, and when you remove the tape and power on, will apparently initialize correctly.

Comment

For anyone still wondering why we don't remove the blobs: The "chip under the blob" may not be what you think. The original idea was find markings on each chip for a part number to describe what protocol we need to explore. Problem is that blob *is the package*, not covering the package. Breaking into it is like breaking a DIP package open trying to read what's inside. The silicon inside will not have anything written and obviously, they haven't written anything on the outside of the package because they don't want to pay extra money so that their chip can be hacked robbing them further of their hard-earned income.

Comment

This is just my theory...

The chip doesn't actually measure the amount of toner left, it just keep count.

It is programmed with a unique ID, cartridge model (there are 2 type of cartridge, 1000 / 1600 pages) and a counter.

Printer save the cartridge ID internally and start counting, perhaps save in both printer and in chip.

Some inkjets using this method can be tricked to reset and clear the ID and count from internal memory, by switching to another cartridge before switching back to refilled one. But problem is u need to borrow one to test this out.

BTW some inkjet only store 1 ID, but some store the last 3 ! (so u need more cartridges to trick this type).

If this is really the way it works, then another way to trick instead of swapping cartridge is reprogram the chip with another unique ID and repeat till it reset.

I wonder if the same is happening here.
                                        Last edited by bc989; 03-25-2017, 12:02 PM.

Comment

found a seller on alibaba - https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/produ...619300819.html

anyone tried them?

but its instructions looks interesting, maybe some hints there to help hacks.

Important:

I. Firware:

All our chips are newest firmare(version), and free of patent problem

II. Note when install chips:

Please don?t install chips when the toner is lower (or toner is not full,or when there is much the waste toner powder). And install the chip when the electric power is turn off!

II. The best Installation of chips:
                                          1.Take out the related cartridge which need to replace chip.

2.Cleaning the cartridge and refill toner powder. Warning: the machine will
                                          be destroyed when the toner powder is lower or without powder.
                                          3.Put the new chip inside, please pay attention to the direction when take
                                          out the old chip.
                                          4.Please don't install the cartridge immediately, close the cover, turn on
                                          the machine.
                                          5.After the red light flash,the machine will show that no cartridge installed,
                                          then put the cartridge into the machine.Warning:Please don't turn off the
                                          electrical power on the process of installation.
                                          6.Warning

If all new chips are installed when there a lack of toner it'll easily lead to the results below.

1).falling short of initial capacity

2).lack of printing pages
                                          3).destroying the chips
                                          specifically step 4-6. unfortunately their english is not good.
                                          Last edited by bc989; 03-25-2017, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X