Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 - KZG caps bloat in storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 - KZG caps bloat in storage

Similar to this https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38550 ...

... I'm not having much luck with motherboards that aren't regularly used

I built this GA-8IPE1000 into a machine to be used for data recovery, and needing to use it years later (for a family member) found it in condition pictured
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Re: Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 - KZG caps bloat in storage

Although it still ran, and accomplished the task, I replaced the offending KZG with Sanyo WG, as shown
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

your lucky, it happened in storage.

i hooked up a via mini-itx board the other day to probe a pci card,
      soon as i hit the switch a GSC 1500uf 6.3v cap exploded on me!

it was on the 5v line so it was voltage under-rated anyway - should have been 10v.
      so i put a ruby mbz 1000uf 16v in it's place - that wont blow again!

Comment

eeks is that a whole board of KZGs? probably shud recap the entire board even if u arent using it regularly. dont want another "accident" with the KZGs again!

Comment

I had this board too.

Funny thing that mine was the exact OPPOSITE - factory installed Sanyo WGs around CPU,and KZGs on the high side.
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            it was on the 5v line so it was voltage under-rated anyway - should have been 10v.
            Not really - I'd agree with you if it was a solid aluminum polymer. But 6.3V provides a healthy 26% tolerance when it comes to voltage (on the +5V line, for electrolytics). GSC capacitors are just that shoddy... their raw materials are that poor.

Those 3300uF 6.3V KZGs are the worst of them all. People have seen so many of those bloat on unused boards, it's not even funny. It doesn't exactly reflect well on Chemi-con, but in their defense, there is a massive divide in quality between KZG/KZJ/KZV/TMV/TMJ and the rest of their electrolytics (I'm pretty sure they discontinued their ultra low ESR lytics anyway, at least for the most part). This is also proof that it isn't really heat that's killing KZGs - just time! Heat only expedites their failure.
            Last edited by Wester547; 09-09-2015, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X