• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Yeah, it's a blue LED fan

Comment

oh I forgot to mention, on the +5 line it had room for a 16mm dia cap! It was the first time I'd ever had to use the smaller silkscreen (I only have 12.5mm caps). I was quite surprised

Comment

Opened up my Huntkey DH-Power 500W due to cold-boot issues.

The input filtering caps are one of the largest I've seen, 1000uF times two! They are Nippon-Chemicon SMQ series.

Here is the first section of the input filter.

The problematic +5VSB is shown here (The 2200uF Fcon is very likely bad) along with another part of the input filter.

Secondary side. None of the caps are actually bulging even though it may look like it in the picture.

Supervising chip SG6105DZ and AS339P-E1 IC.

Passive PFC coil + a Nexus fan installed in favor of more silent operation.

Planning to do a recap on all output rails, this supply has served for 2+ years almost continuously. Any comments regarding the supply are welcome.
        Last edited by Leopard; 08-27-2009, 11:45 AM.

Comment

My Antec Smartpower 500 Watt uses 2 850uf caps somewhere in the 800s can't remember.

From a cold start (the input caps drained) it dims all the lights on the same circuit while they charge for a split second .
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I think its 820.

Comment

Leadman LM-150 - an oldie but a goodie!

15A 40V +5V rectifier
              3A +12V rectifier - underrated
              1A primary rectifiers.
              2SC3039 primary transistors.

+5V rail: JP TUR series 2200uF 105C before output inductor 10V and "WC" 2200uF 10V 85C after.
              +12V rail: "WC" 2200uF 16V 105C.
              -5V rail: "WC" 470uF 16V 85C.
              -12V rail: "WC" 680uF 16V 85C.
              150uF 200V CETHR primary units.
              Non-approved capacitor before the bridge rectifier
              Attached Files
              My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

well I have a wonderful L&C model LC-B350ATX "STE Super Talent"
                yeah right...super talented at being crappy

anyways, here's the label - it's a big ol' lie though - both +3.3v and +5v have 30A rectifiers, and +12v has a 10A rectifier

here's an overall view

Here's the secondary side - notice the leaking YCs...a leaker and a bulger on the +5v, and another little leaker back there that you can't see

And here's the primary side: lovely GINCON primaries, and pretend Y caps, a pretend X cap, and the lovely 4 diode treatment.

This was in somebody's old computer they donated to me when they got a new one. And don't worry guys, I'm not going to waste good caps on it...
                Attached Files

Comment

Here we have an LIC model LC-400BTX
                  "400W" hahaha

Here is a picture of the label - big lies again, each rail has a 16A rectifier, and there's actually only 1 +12v rail.

Here's the overall picture...I don't think that can do 400W, do you?

Here's the input filter... fake Y caps and no X caps, and no coil...and LCZ input caps...LAME. Also, 2 of the diodes are bigger than the other two..what's with that?

And here we have the very sad looking secondary side...caps are BH and H.Q. and there isn't a PI coil in sight!

Came from xoxide.com as one of their 10 dollar 400W case pull power supplies.
                  Attached Files

Comment

KM Korea GP-300ATX

KM Korea GP-300ATX

470uF 200V
                    TNC 1000uF 10V
                    TNC 1000uF 16V
                    Attached Files

Comment

Codegen 300X

Codegen 300X

HEC 330uF 200V
                      TONGJIA 1000uF 10V
                      HEC 1000uF 10V
                      HEC 1000uF 16V
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by etnietering
                        Also, 2 of the diodes are bigger than the other two..what's with that?
                        Because 2 diodes rectifier half wave the other 2 full wave

J/K

Gianni
                        "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                        H. J. Brown

Comment

StarTronic ST-400CPBA

StarTronic ST-400CPBA

120mm ModeCom fan
                          JunFu 560uF 200V
                          JunFu 1000uF 10V, 16V
                          JunFu 1500uF 16V

Although it proudly shows 400-something in model, peak output is declared only for +3.3V and +5V (it is 120W). +12V you can calculate yorself.
                          PSU stays warm when computer is off.
                          Attached Files

Comment

>>PSU stays warm when computer is off.<<

That's the frost-free feature.

Toast
                            veritas odium parit

Comment

No wait it keeps the crap caps warm so that their ESR doesn't get too high or you'll never get the thing to start again .
                              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Award ADW-30002:

Below are pictures of a cheapo power supply that came with a case I bought. It bears a striking resemblance to "The Best Power" one posted here.

While I'm no power supply expert, I can see the y1 and y2 capacitors are nowhere to be found. I guess that explains why the thing is so rf noisy. The large capacitors on the primary side are "MK" "330uf 200v" "0606" "85c". Not sure who the manufacturer is. The orange capacitor on the secondary side is a yujhyyu. Not sure who made the other ones.

The power supply has been used for testing a couple of things, but no daily use. I don't trust it enough, for that.
                                Attached Files

Comment

i see they bad-cap proofed it by using few and tiny caps.

no hope of a bridge mod- the diodes are mounted in a way that says they never intended to make a good one. too much jumper wire. strip for fan/wire for maximum part life/safety.

wimpy heatsinks, but extruded not stamped. odd.

thin wire.

i bet its too light for a paperweight!
                                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

yet another "gutless wonder"
                                    looks like a dynopower i shitcanned last week.
                                    your cap was likely a fuhjyyu.sometimes pronounced fuhkyyu.

Comment

I wonder what 'award' that one earned

Comment

----
                                        Okay design, but most components are way too undersized. That main transformer could easily be mistaken for a second 5vsb rail.
                                        Last edited by momaka; 09-05-2009, 09:28 PM.

Comment

well, I had to order a new mouse from xoxide, and they had these on sale:
                                          PowMax Demon 480W
                                          When I opened it up, I couldn't stop laughing. 480W my ass....

Anyway, here's the label. The ratings are complete lies though, 12v has a 20A diode, 5v has a 30A, and 3.3v has a 20A. Oh, and it has one tiny transistor for the 5vsb, and one to-220 transistor for the rest. I've never seen one with just one transistor....the transformer is tiny too.

Here's an overall shot - you can see the tiny transformer. The casing is so cheap and flimsy though that it got all bent just by disassembling it.

Here's the surprisingly complete secondary side. The rectification is a little lame (I've seen lamer though), but every major rail (3.3, 5, 5sb, 12) has a full PI filter. The wiring has no ratings on it, but it's skinnier than the 18awg stuff I have, so probably 20awg. The 24 pin ATX connector has some mesh sleeving on it. More than half the caps are smaller in diameter than the silkscreen outline.

And here we have the primary side. All caps in the unit are by Cheng/Chengx, or Theng/Thengx, it's difficult to tell. It has the silly 2 diodes are bigger than the other treatment. And check out that input filter! It's so cheap they don't even outline the parts that aren't there....

The solder side didn't look too horrible, however there is a huge grounding wire soldered over the trace, and a tiny resistor soldered to the bottom in parallel with another resistor on the top...nothing like quality
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X