Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vizio E390-A1 - Vizio logo for 2 secs then no video.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio E390-A1 - Vizio logo for 2 secs then no video.

Hello Gang,

I am troubleshooting this TV which has no video but I hear sound. When I turn the TV on I see the Vizio logo for 2 seconds then it disappears. The black light is working.

I actually can get video to display and ill tell you how but with the TV on I am getting weird voltages.

on the CN9902 connector:

11= 17v
    10 = 17v

5 = 17V
    6 = 17V

pin 2 and 3 are the correct 5.2v

weird huh. 10 and 11 should be 12v and 5 and 6 should be 24V. Not heres the interesting part. When I turn the TV on and see the logo for 2 sec. When I unplug connector CN801 which is the LED power cable on the backlight driver board all my voltages seem to be normal.

So what I did was turn the TV off, with hdmi input connected playing a video I disconnected the CN801 connectors and turned on the TV. Okay so now I can heard whats playing and if I plug the CN801 in I see picture for 2 seconds then video disappears. Still hear sound of course.

This is the fun part. I repeat the procedure, turn TV off and with CN801 disconnected I turn TV back on. I plug CN801 in but only try to connect the pins on the right side of connector with it says VLED +, VLED +. The first two pins, which btw measures 40v unplugged. I angle the connector to connect those pins first and as I instert the connector favoring the right side I can get video to go on but only the lower LED's on the panel. Well believe it or not the video stays on. I have a picture but the top LED's are not lit up. wow. If I push the connect all the way in, the top leds light up and then video goes away.

on the PSU the two 1000uf caps are bulging a little and have black stuff in the center. my first take is that with all the LED's connected it is putting a load on the PSU and the 24 V is dropping to 17V which is not enough power to keep the Main board running.

My second assumption is that there is something wrong with the top LED's and when they are plugged in are cause a major load on the power supply. So I am here to ask you experts what do you think is going on here. The caps on the PSU obviously dont look good but do you think theres something going on with the LEDs as well?

Feel free to chime in.

Joe

Re: Vizio E390-A1 - Vizio logo for 2 secs then no video.

Hello Joe,
    seems you found the problem. Or at least part of it.
    Disconnect the LED cable entirely from CN801, then measure the resistance between the metal chassis of the tv and the pins one by one. I believe there might be a short to ground on those LED strips somehow.
    Also, replacing the capacitors is a must. I think there are not too many on the secondary side, if I were you, I would change them all blindly.
    A few pictures would also be great.
    Cheers, Janos

Comment

You have failed or failing backlights. You would have to tear the panel down to get to them. I recommend replacing all at the same time.

Comment

Hey guys, So I did a test of the led wires and didnt see any shorts. I went ahead and replaced the two 1000uf 35V caps that were bulging and with the LED CN801 plugged all the way in, the power supply maintained its output voltage and the video didnt turn off. I suspect having all the led's plugged in put too much of a load on the failing capacitors. I got the TV for nothing well the cost of the parts anyway, but it was a easy fix

Here are some pics when I had it open
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X