Starting point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting point?

I've never been shy about repairing my own stuff. Asking people I know for advice, YouTubing it, etc. I've been covered in oil, shocked, bloodied my knuckles, set a generator on fire, etc. It's always been worth it though, both for the pride of fixing your own stuff and learning.

That said, with electronics in particular, I would like a firmer grounding. No pun intended. I know a thing or two, but it's random first-hand experience and rather disconnected knowledge.

I've lurked on here for a while and fixed my own odds and ends since I was a kid. I've soldered, I get the absolute basics of a circuit, I know the difference in AC/DC, etc. But there's so, so, so much I don't know.

I've never been a disciplined student in actual school, tragically, but I'm not shy about learning. I consider myself competent at math and eager to learn, even if I'm not exactly young anymore. Tinkering is definitely an option, I'm not afraid of a little shock or to spend a little money. Sadly, there's no practical way to take a formal class at the moment.

If I want to get a robust grounding in the basics in my own spare time what would a good starting point be? Any book or website or anything else head and shoulders above the rest?
    Last edited by PorkfriedPanda; 11-26-2016, 06:27 AM.

Re: Starting point?

One way would be the NEETS series of books. I believe it stands for "Navy Electrical (and) Electronics Training System ". It was on the 'net a few years ago, should still be. It'll even tell you the best way to solder.
    sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

link to pdfs
      http://jacquesricher.com/NEETS/

Comment

Thanks

I'll definitely be reading this!

Comment

My son asked me similar questions yesterday , and i told him there are 52 weeks in a year , quite an impressive time . Study each week one Electronic component , and in one year you'll be on the good rail , and if you start by Diodes for example , search and download any documents , Pdfs and training videos like from youtube and many comprehensive sites , you'll start to differ between Germanium and silicon diodes , Zener Diodes , rectifier diodes and so on . Learning the basics is very important , and documenting your searches is critical for further studies .

Comment

Some of it is really basic but I'm reading it all anyhow. Good stuff, filling me in on some basic things I never really understood!

And yes, even if we're not super young, there's so so much time to learn if you're truly willing.

Comment

Working...
            X