Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP W2207 Backlight Problem

^
    Are all the HV wires insulated good with heat shrink tubing, so there is no chance voltage can find its way to ground?
    Check all of your return wires where they attach to the CCFLs any discoloration is an indication of a bad connection.
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Ugh, figured out the problem. Broke another bulb while trying to get the fat glass reflector stuff back in. It's a super tight fit. Going to get some more heat shrink tubing to redo it.

I didn't feel like I was forcing it THAT much either. Bah, good thing I bought extra tubes!

Comment

If CCFLs do not slide out without dissembling the entire screen, I have very good luck sliding the CCFL channels over the thick plastic and white paper, and then gently fit the aluminum frame over the plastic and channels
        Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Genius! I freaking love this forum. After I get my shrink tube I'll try that out.

Comment

Originally posted by TVo View Post
            Broke another bulb while trying to get the fat glass reflector stuff back in.
            You are not the first to break a bulb. Over the last year, I would estimate the success rate for people doing this very delicate operation at 60% success rate.

The only advice that I have is to go slow, have lots of natural light, and don't force anything.

This tutorial may help?

http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/lasotu.html
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Well, I was able to get this thing up and running fully!

I would say that the final thought is that it was a bad CCFL. I DID replace all of the CAPS, but my gut feeling is still that the CCFL lamps were the original culprit.

Boy have I learned a lot from this fix. If anyone stumbles onto this from a Google search and has a question about how to get the damn bezel off of this beast, remove the BLACK FRONT BEZEL that is INSIDE of the outer silver bezel. It's a bit strange, but do NOT try to remove the inner black bezel from the back of the screen. There are screws underneath the innermost black plastic (looking at the front of the screen) that will allow you to get to the back of the monitor. I'll try to post a link to my fix with pictures if I ever get around to it.

Thanks again for all the help! I'm sure I'll be back soon with another fix to work on.

Comment

At this chapter,

My w2207 is beginning to show its age after very heavy usage of 4 years. It's loosing brighness, that is, a very light pink is present on white screen. The tendency to the red of this monitor is pretty much documented by many users out there, but mine did not present this problem till recently. I suspect at least one of the CCFLs is dimming due to aging. I know that something else can also be the culprit, such as the problems documented in this thread. I don't want to take the monitor apart, since it's still quite usable. I tried to compensate colorwise but it only works very partially.

Can anyone advise me about the type of CCFLs, number, manufacturers and/or equivalents?
                I assume there are 4 CCFls in this monitor, or am I mistaken?

Thanks, S.
                Last edited by sylva; 06-19-2011, 04:21 PM. Reason: Adding words

Comment

Originally posted by sylva View Post
                  It's loosing brighness, that is, a very light pink is present on white screen.

I suspect at least one of the CCFLs is dimming due to aging.
                  You are correct. A pink hue is a sign of a dying CCFL.

Can anyone advise me about the type of CCFLs, number, manufacturers and/or equivalents?
                  Members here report good support and service from ccflwarehouse.com. Give them a phone call and they can tell you what options are available for this lcd.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

At this chapter,

My w2207 is beginning to show its age after very heavy usage of 4 years. It's loosing brighness, that is, a very light pink is present on white screen. The tendency to the red of this monitor is pretty much documented by many users out there, but mine did not present this problem till recently. I suspect at least one of the CCFLs is dimming due to aging. I know that something else can also be the culprit, such as the problems documented in this thread. I don't want to take the monitor apart, since it's still quite usable. I tried to compensate colorwise but it only works very partially.

Thanks, S.
                    It's risky to make assumptions, because quite often a particular model of monitor will have several 'sub models'. The differences may include different power supplies, LCD panels, signal cards, etc. The picture in the first post of this thread shows that THAT HP W2207 had 4 CCFLs. Yours is probably the same; a look at the inverter will give the information.

One problem is the cost. The vendor retiredcaps mentioned has a good reputation. 4 CCFLs will cost $40 + shipping. Those are bare lamps. Many LCD panels are designed so the CCFLs slide out on brackets. Installing those will require disassembling the monitor, removing the old CCFLs, and installing the new, which requires soldering among other steps. CCFLWarehouse will install new lamps into your brackets - for a price of about $90. Which is uncomfortably close to the cost of a new LED backlit 22" monitor.

PlainBill
                    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

There are ebay auctions for bare lamps. 4 of them will run around $21 with free shipping. Of course, YMMV in terms of quality, service, etc like any other ebay auction.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you all very much.

Yea, I have several choices here, I know. However, sending the monitor out will take quite a few dollars (it weighs 9Kg plus the weight of packaging), which added to the technical cost will indeed get dangerously close to the cost of a new monitor. I have to make up my mind about this, for, if I can get the lamps at $40 + reasonable shipping, then I may do the work myself. Risky, becuase I've never done it before. I am technically handy, but this is no trivial work. I may go for it still, for the quality of the monitor has been very, very good.

New monitors may be the way to go since they are LED lit. But colors are not completely satisfactory, to me at least just as yet, though their color temperature and naturalness is getting better. Just the other day I saw the new HP 27" LED monitor. The whites were superb, but pixel density is just not satisfactory for video and multimedia work. Yeah, I know, you'd say, buy an Apple. Oh well...

As I said, the w2207 is still very usable with a good video card. One of my computers' card is not so good, and on it I had noticed more dimming than on the one that has the better video card (but even on this one there is some, albeit little, pinking).

As far as cost of lamps, there's another dealer, lcdparts, but it's on the more expensive side, $15 per lamp + shipping which they didn't disclose.

Thanks again guys, this is one of the BEST hardware forums anywhere.

Yours, S.
                        Last edited by sylva; 06-20-2011, 05:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I am technically handy, but this is no trivial work. I may go for it still, for the quality of the monitor has been very, very good.
                          A tutorial is at

http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/lasotu.html

I estimate about 50/50% success rate for DIY based on feedback over the last 16 months on this forum. This repair is fragile. Failures are due to working tired/frustrated, inadequate lighting, and trying to force things back in.
                          Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-20-2011, 05:48 PM.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you all very much.

Yea, I have several choices here, I know. However, sending the monitor out will take quite a few dollars (it weighs 9Kg plus the weight of packaging), which added to the technical cost will indeed get dangerously close to the cost of a new monitor. I have to make up my mind about this, for, if I can get the lamps at $40 + reasonable shipping, then I may do the work myself. Risky, becuase I've never done it before. I am technically handy, but this is no trivial work. I may go for it still, for the quality of the monitor has been very, very good.

Yours, S.
                            A couple of points. As retiredcaps mentioned, CCFLs are slightly cheaper on eBay; CCFLWarehouse sells them for $8.00 + shipping. If you go this route it will be necessary to disassemble the monitor and measure the diameter and length of the existing CCFLs.

CCFLWarehouse does not want to receive your monitor; they insist you send only the lamp holders, lamps and wires.

I went through this with my present monitor. I was able to buy used, but good, lamps already mounted in the proper holders at a very reasonable price.

If you are skilled at disassembling hardware a putting it back together, this shouldn't be too difficult. If you belong to the 'If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer' school, it would be a disaster.

PlainBill
                            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks again.

No, fortunately I am not an 'If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer' person

I am pretty skilled at hardware and if the monitor becomes unusable then what have I got to loose? I'll have to liquidate it anyway, so it'd be worth the exercise. And, as a result, the next one will be more familiar to deal with, but, if an LED LCD, lighting will probably be the last item to go.

Cheers, S.

PS: I went to download the tutorial. Unfortunately all but 4 of the pictures are missing. Well, I have only dial up. Could this be the problem or the pictures are missing, period?
                              Last edited by sylva; 06-22-2011, 12:39 AM. Reason: Add more to the message

Comment

Originally posted by TVo View Post
                                If anyone stumbles onto this from a Google search and has a question about how to get the damn bezel off of this beast, remove the BLACK FRONT BEZEL that is INSIDE of the outer silver bezel. It's a bit strange, but do NOT try to remove the inner black bezel from the back of the screen. There are screws underneath the innermost black plastic (looking at the front of the screen) that will allow you to get to the back of the monitor. I'll try to post a link to my fix with pictures if I ever get around to it.
                                I know it's been a few years, but did you ever get around to making some pictures on opening up this pig?

I got the same model. Trying to fix it before I resort to eWaste. The power button slowly blinks when turned on, and you hear slight repetitive high pitch voltage noises from inside. The screen never gets a chance to power up, so it seems it's something with the initial powering. I want to check the inside to see if the caps are bad. Most likely since this monitor is now 6 years old.

I got the stand off, but now I'm staring at a screen with no more visible screws to remove. I just feel like shaking it and banging it against the table to crack it open.

I see there's a whole black back plate that doesn't want to be removed. There's a silver bezel/band around the side. Then there's a black front plate around the LCD.

What do mean by the "inner black bezel"? Are you talking about the whole back black plate? I don't want to start prying at this thing in the wrong place and end up either cracking the plastic, or worse cracking the LCD or CCFLs.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Okay, after ripping up my fingernails, I'll heal in a few weeks, I finally got the front black bezel off. It appears you just have to pry it straight out. At some points I thought it was going to crack. The corners were difficult. After the bezel came off the rest was self explanatory.

I pulled the power board and sure enough I found 4 bad caps, 2 big, 1 medium, and 1 small. I'll look into replacing them at some point. Hopefully more components aren't shot.

I've seen whole power boards selling for about $25-$30. But I figure they'll have the same crappy caps and will most likely fail in the near future. I'll most likely buy the caps from badcaps.net again. Here's a few pictures of the front bezel off.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pro289 View Post
                                    I've seen whole power boards selling for about $25-$30. But I figure they'll have the same crappy caps and will most likely fail in the near future. I'll most likely buy the caps from badcaps.net again.
                                    Purchased the caps from here. Got all 25v 1000uf.
                                    Replaced the 4 bad ones and the monitor powers on now!
                                    The whites don't seem too vibrant. The lamps are most likely worn.
                                    But a $12 fix for a free monitor, I can't complain.

Comment

Working...
                                    X