Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway E4620/The Other Caps?

Hello All,

I have two of the boards that have cap issues. I changed the two 1800uf/6.3v OST caps on one board and still have a restart issue? I had one by the memory slots and one by the PCI-E slot that were bloated. I replaced the two OST caps with Nichicon HZ that I purchased from Topcat. I thought I'd better get some pointers before tinkering with the second mobo! Could one of the members of this site please tell me which caps besides the two that I replaced already should be replaced next? I haven't worked on too many mobos and lack the experience of the other members of this site, so please be kind.

Thanks In Advance
    lcdman

P.S. I tried asking twice about these boards on a month old thread and haven't heard a peep out of anyone on this site. Maybe everyone is out enjoying the weather? So I started a new thread.

Re: Gateway E4620/The Other Caps?

we need clear pictures of the board along with information about which capacitors you replaced.

Also, sometimes it's not the board that has issues but the power supply - "dirty" power from the power supply can make it hard for the motherboard's power circuitry to work properly and sometimes capacitors die faster because of this or degrade, in some cases without showing signs (leaking, bloating etc).

Comment

Hello And Thanks For the Reply,

I replaced the OST caps with Nichicon HZ that I bought from Topcat. Should I try another psu in place of the one thats in the Gateway E4620 tower? I took some pictures hopefully they will show the information that you're asking for.

Thanks,
      lcdman
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Well a different PSU makes no difference. The computer still won't boot into windows. It keeps restarting in a loop? I don't have an ESR meter, so I'm kinda going blind into this repair other than the two bulged OST caps that I already replaced with Nichicon HZ caps. There must be someone with this site that can tell me what other caps that should be replaced!

lcdman

Comment

Well all I can tell you if you don't have an ESR meter is to suspect the capacitors near critical parts of the board.

Such critical part is the chipset (one chip under heatsink and one near the sata connectors). You have two capacitors above the heatsink which seem to be smoothing out the power going to the chip under heatsink.

Well, I've highlighted the capacitors I would check to make sure they're good, the green ones are probably causing problems, the yellow ones I'd also check if testing the green ones doesn't reveal anything.

Use a bootable cd with memtest ( http://www.memtest.org/#downiso ) to test your RAM first and see if the memory modules are good OR maybe if capacitors near the slots are going bad and make the memory behave badly.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X