Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMAC G5 17 inch ALS, chunky frenzied video

Hi,
    I have an IMac G5, 17 inch, ALS, with sort of chunky blocks of video, sometimes all frenzied depending on how I move windows around.

Computer part (not display) works fine, no smoke, no smells, no dust.

Looked inside at MoBo and all caps look OK (they have the K on top).
    Computer is within the original Apple recall serial number range.

Have not looked at PSU yet.

Does this sound like a CAP problem?
    Initially the video problem went away once, but now it is back "permanently".
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

JB23

Pictures --- IMAC G5 17 inch ALS, chunky frenzied video

Here are some pictures of the startup screen.
    Once logged in, the video is more scrambled, not necessarily regular.
    When a window is dragged around the screen, the video get very scrambled, like noise.
    But if you highlight a dropdown menu, say, the video is pretty clear.

I'd like to figure out if it is the capacitors or if it is the video and I'm hoping this looks familiar!

Thanks
    JB23
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jb23; 12-01-2011, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Re: IMAC G5 17 inch ALS, chunky frenzied video

Does problem exist from cold start? Apple logo screen also on boot?

Likely bad Graphics chip BGA. A lot of problems, especially since within recall range. *Could* be panel also, but not -as- likely.

Recall seeing someone in CA doing reball work on these for ~$100.

EDIT: Make sure that the GPU/CPU cooler channel is unclogged. Don't know how many of these I've had in with zero -0- airflow possible because the bottom is totally plugged. See pic attached....

Attached Files
      Last edited by Toasty; 12-01-2011, 11:47 AM.
      veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
        Does problem exist from cold start? Apple logo screen also on boot?
        Yes, exactly -- on cold start the gray apple logo has artifacts. Then nice
        clear blue screen, then following screens (login, desktop) all with artifacts.

Likely bad Graphics chip BGA. A lot of problems, especially since within recall range. *Could* be panel also, but not -as- likely.

Recall seeing someone in CA doing reball work on these for ~$100.
        Thank you, I will try to check that out.
        JB23

Comment

EDIT: Make sure that the GPU/CPU cooler channel is unclogged. Don't know how many of these I've had in with zero -0- airflow possible because the bottom is totally plugged. See pic attached....

Oh -- thanks -- I will check this! JB23

Comment

Now, as regards the reball work...

A used - good - guaranteed midplane (Apple-speak for motherboard) can be had on eBay for less than $100. I would also check Craigslist in your area and Thrift Shops as they do appear there.

From Craigslist I picked up a 20" less than a year ago. All wireless for $110 with keyboard, mouse, original box, and disks. All it needed was a midplane and PSU recap. Gorgeous unit.

Toast
            veritas odium parit

Comment

That is also good advice; I will keep an eye out.
              Just looking around Ebay, Craigs, etc., you can see --- as you know --- used IMac G5's are way overpriced!
              Time for bargaining.
              JB23

Comment

>>used IMac G5's are way overpriced!<<

Yup!

"No hard drive or carrier, no memory, no PSU. As-Is -> NO RETURNS!" $199

And the cutesy disclaimer... "I know nothing about this unit. I'm selling it for someone else."

LOL!!
                veritas odium parit

Comment

Well, you know how it is, I am spending too much time on this!

I found the original OS disk with the hardware test (boot holding down shift)
                  and it reveals under
                  VRAM test, error error error "2ATI/1/4: 113-xxxxx-117"
                  (you gotta love that triple error!)
                  That seems to clinch it.

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                    Just to follow up this post.
                    I ended up sending the board to an outfit in Florida for GPU (BGA) reflow and this solved the problem.
                    Thanks again for your help!
                    JB23

Comment

Who? How Much?
                      veritas odium parit

Comment

The machine (or really just the
                        logic board) was serviced at Turtle Laboratories. For the IMac it was $99, which included return shipping and the turnaround was very fast!
                        In addition, there was the small cost of buying Arctic Silver compound for
                        thermally reconnecting the board to the heat sink.
                        All in all, it has worked out great.
                        -JB23

Comment

hummm in my experience a reflow is never a permanent , not even a very lasting solution to BGA issues (mostly on laptops tou) would love to hear how it goes for you once in a while.

Aiki

Comment

Originally posted by Aikiotto View Post
                            hummm in my experience a reflow is never a permanent
                            Neither is a reball done poorly. In my experience a good reflow lasts longer than a bad reball. And it's cheaper. You can even do it yourself if you have a little know-how. After it's been reflowed/reballed once, the board should be marked for replacement anyway, i wouldn't keep using it if the system is mission critical.

I've had a board for a dv9000 i reflowed myself last over 1 year, and the GPU still wasn't dead when i swapped it (but other things were wrong with it). Another one i did for a neighbor of mine (Acer with GPU on MXM slot) made 8 months till it croaked. Got a "profesionally reballed" board as a replacement for my dv9000 board, and it gave up the ghost in 4 months even though it hadn't been stressed at all. Reflowed and working now, fingers crossed...
                            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Aikiotto View Post
                              hummm in my experience a reflow is never a permanent , not even a very lasting solution to BGA issues (mostly on laptops tou) would love to hear how it goes for you once in a while.

Aiki

Hi All,
                              Just want to report the machine is still going strong (daily use).

JB23

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                Neither is a reball done poorly. In my experience a good reflow lasts longer than a bad reball. And it's cheaper. You can even do it yourself if you have a little know-how. After it's been reflowed/reballed once, the board should be marked for replacement anyway, i wouldn't keep using it if the system is mission critical.

I've had a board for a dv9000 i reflowed myself last over 1 year, and the GPU still wasn't dead when i swapped it (but other things were wrong with it). Another one i did for a neighbor of mine (Acer with GPU on MXM slot) made 8 months till it croaked. Got a "profesionally reballed" board as a replacement for my dv9000 board, and it gave up the ghost in 4 months even though it hadn't been stressed at all. Reflowed and working now, fingers crossed...

Ok, you were right. The computer is back to the graphics artifacts, so I presume the repair has failed. So, it lasted about 6 months.

-jb23

Comment

Working...
                                X