Sanyo FW55D25F stuck in color test mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sanyo FW55D25F stuck in color test mode

Here are all the pictures i promised to upload. I did the best with the current lighting i have in my work area in the basement. I recently moved and i don't have everything the way i want it yet. I still need to get and put up some florescent lighting. I laid the power board in place and plugged in the cables so you could see how it is hooked up and yes i didn't put the screws back in
    this link from shopjimmy might help if you want better images. without shadows. https://www.shopjimmy.com/sanyo-fw55...-parts-kit.htm
    Attached Files

Comment

here are some up close pictures of the connectors on main board and one going to the power board.
      Attached Files

Comment

can we see a pic of the whole back of the TV showing all the boards?

Comment

Ok. Upload request picture and measurements with power off and power on. It is from the connector that runs from the power board to the main board.
          Attached Files

Comment

what is the history of the TV? Where did you get it from?

Right now I think you are going to be stuck, unless you have another identical TV or LVDS / Mainboard tester to try your main board out. Maybe a programmer to flash the EEProm / SPI with files. I really dislike TV's where the TCon is tab bonded to the bottom of the panel. Just to double check: the back of the TV has a DS9 serial?

Comment

Search for panel data sheet.may be any pin stuck high or low triggering test mode or burn in mode

Comment

Originally posted by cherokee.warrior View Post
                Ok. Upload request picture and measurements with power off and power on. It is from the connector that runs from the power board to the main board.
                you need to know what the pins are in terms of voltages / labelling not just measurements. The labels for most / all are on the power board for the corresponding pins. Having said that, first "look" at your measurements appear to missing a lot of voltages, can't be good.

Comment

the 21 volts and 13 volts at the one side of the main board connector are what they are suppose to be, but the voltages i am getting at the other end if the connector are not listed what they are. I was just listing the voltage i was getting depending if the power was turned on or off. I would agree this is a cheap a** tv. It is my brothers and i am trying to do the best to solve this as best as i can. Not having a schematic suck. there is nothing on the power board side of that cable that indicates what is what .
                  Last edited by cherokee.warrior; 03-17-2019, 07:26 PM.

Comment

all you need to do is match the pins to the "label points" at the power board... its a simple continuity test.... then since the cable is "straight", the voltage should appear at the same pins at the other end.

Comment

I'm not sure you have a physical problem, yet...

Color test mode can be bad EEPROM or corrupted firmware, but can also be user error by accidentally entering the mode without knowing it.

Do you have the remote control?

Try at least a few of the following individually:

With TV on, press LEFT arrow, then RIGHT arrow, then POWER. Unplug TV, wait 30 seconds. plug TV back in and turn on.

With TV on, press UP arrow, then DOWN arrow, then POWER. Unplug TV, wait 30 seconds. plug TV back in and turn on.

Try just holding EXIT button.

Try holding the MENU and ENTER buttons together, then press the POWER button.

I'm not saying these will work for you, but have worked for others.

Let us know if anything works.

Comment

None of those had no affect on the TV. I don't understand by both main board i have are doing the same thing. How could both be corrupt. I've fixed several other tvs in the past but this one that looked simple is being a challenge.

Comment

Yes, both could have corrupted firmware or EEPROM.

It is not uncommon for TV parts resellers to turn on a cracked screen TV (cannot fully test) and see that it turns on and displays some kind of image. Then they sell the parts as "working" but perhaps not fully functional.

However, both of your boards display color purity test. RARE. It is more common to have infinite rebooting, or loads up then hangs, etc.

As I stated in post #19 of this thread, I have had a TV that enters the color test mode with a known good mainboard so, it could be a bad panel. Or specifically, a panel with shorted or damaged components on the panel driver boards attached to the panel itself.

From your photos there are a good many chips on those boards. Some are BGA so who knows what they are or how to test. But Some have exposed pins and may be easier if you are patient.

I would start by testing across every single surface mount cap for shorts or suspiciously low resistance. Then check each of the small coils (markings 100, 220, etc) for shorts to ground. They will measure short across the coil which is normal, but they are generally connected to voltage rails so there should not normally be any shorts between the coil to ground.

Report back.
                          Last edited by Unspun01; 03-22-2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

here are the panel number and the Tv model # so you have all the info on this tv that i do.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Some things to try: if your TV is stuck in "Purity Check Mode." In that mode, the TV cycles through full-screen displays of red, green, blue, white, and partial-white to check for non-active pixels.

This indicates that the TV somehow went into service mode, and the colors on your screen are a test pattern.
                              Color flash
                              The first, is to try and reset the EPROM in the TV. To do this, remove the power cord from the wall, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 20 seconds. Then plug the set back in and power it up.
                              The next thing we can try on a user level, is to use the TV remote, and press Cursor Arrows UP then Down, and unplug power. Then plug it back in.
                              If this does not cure the issue, then this indicates a failure in the TV's EPROM which is what runs this Test/Service Mode, and there are no resets or adjustments you can perform to fix this.
                              Also try just pressing exit on remote--

Reset- Symptom---Buttons on TV don't work and screen flashes different colors one at a time...red, blue, white, green, black
                              Try this--Stand near the TV's power cord and on the TV's remote press first the arrow up then arrow down and unplug the TV within 5 seconds , wait 10 seconds and try the TV again.
                              If that does not do it then, repeat the procedure but this time with the arrows left then right.
                              Test Mode
                              tv stuck in test mode
                              Press "EXIT"

Color flash reset
                              Try this-
                              Press the power button on the TV. Wait 5 seconds and pressed it again and as it is turning on press the menu and source buttons on the TV simultaneously and when the TV comes on it should be on menu display. Turn the TV off with the remote, turn it back on with the remote and it should come back to normal.

My proscan tv did the flashing color on the screen and the way i got it back to normal was by pressing the stand by button on the tv waited 5 seconds and pressed it again and as it was turning on pressed the menu and source buttons on the tv simultaneously and when the tv was on it was on the menu. I turned the tv off with the remote turned it back on and was back to normal. Hope it helps someone.

Flashing colors
                              Magnavox 37md359b/f7
                              Symptom---Buttons on TV don't work and screen flashes different colors one at a time...red, blue, white, green, black
                              Try this--Stand near the TV's power cord and on the TV's remote press first the arrow up then arrow down and unplug the TV within 5 seconds , wait 10 seconds and try the TV again.
                              If that does not do it then, repeat the procedure but this time with the arrows left then right.
                              If that does not work--
                              Disconnect the LVDS cable from the panel, while it is doing that, does the flashing stop or continue--
                              use the remote press the up and down buttons around the ok button

How could I got back to normal screen:
                              1. Pressed the power button on the TV
                              2. Hold "OK" button for some time and found the TV screen is going to Stand by mode.
                              3. With the hope that "Menu" button would also response with same procedure, I long pressed "Menu" button, and with my amazement, after about 20 seconds, screen came back to life.
                              4. As the remote starts working at this point, went to the menu and scanned the channels.
                              5. Switched off and powered it again.

use the remote press the up and down buttons around the ok.

Comment

Ok, I check the capacitors on the board connected to the screen for short to ground. I found none. I did find 2 capacitors that had no connection to ground at all, they where cu9 and cu12. it was on the long board near the ribbon cable that runs to the screen on one side. the other one was on the other end of the long board near the ribbon cable going to the screen. I also check to see if any of the coils that are on that board to see if any would beep the multimeter. ground lead was on metal frame of them the other was put on all parts contact areas of the coil i could see and only one sounded, that was LA2.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by cherokee.warrior; 03-22-2019, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Hmm. Cu9 and cu12 look like they're not connected to ground from the pics. If none of the capacitors read as a short that's a good sign.

In case you are wondering why I asked you to measure across all capacitors for a short it's because these small caps are often noise filters to ground on signal lines and a shorted signal line can be found indirectly by measuring at the caps.

The coil LA2 appears to be connected to ground which is unusual so maybe it's limiting ground current at that large IC. LA2 not an issue.

See if you can identify any of the ICs on the boards to locate datasheets..

Comment

all of the chips on the board at the bottom of the screen. That way if anyone else has his issue they will have these images to compare.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Been busy and haven't had time to look up any of the ic's yet. Been doing honey doos...

Comment

IF the sanyo is like some other sets, a ground / no voltage on a certain lead puts the panel in test mode. Perhaps this is the mode that you are in... ie. missing voltages... which cause the equivalent result. As suggested follow the voltages listed on the power board and ensure which ones are there and list the label and the resulting measurement.

Comment

Have not had much luck on the datasheets and pinout / schematic for the ic's. I am getting voltage on each side of the fuse on the tcon/the long board connected to the screen.

Comment

Working...
                                          X