Dell Perc 5i Model UCS-51

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Perc 5i Model UCS-51

The 2 Green Sanyo caps are swollen and I wish to replace them (the board does not work anymore and throws an error that I believe is related to the caps). The problem is that I cannot find someone who sells the capacitor in the USA. Ebay pulls up several companies out of Hong Kong that are selling capacitors that look like the ones on the board, but I am not sure and concerned about fakes.

It has qty: 2
    Sanyo WF Series Capacitors (I believe these are ME-WF)
    6.3V
    1500uF
    10x12.5mm
    0.018 ohm ESR (100kHz, 20C) (From ME-WF Spec sheet)
    1760mA ripple current (100kHz, 105C) (From ME-WF Spec sheet)

I cant get good pictures, but here is the writing on both sides...
    Side 1:
    Sanyo
    1500uF
    6.3V
    Side 2:
    105C
    S.E.6D
    WF

I see that Bad Caps has 2 capacitors that are similar size, voltage, and capacitance but they have a lower ESR and higher ripple current.

Questions:
    What capacitor do people recommend (I could probably lay the capacitor over if I cannot find one in the same size. If the capacitor is taller than 13mm, it will hit the computer case)?
    With ESR and ripple current, what is better, higher or lower values?

Re: Dell Perc 5i Model UCS-51

Do not buy caps on ebay, done it myself and I'm not a happy camper.

Anyway, a direct replacement is Nichicon Hn in 10x12.5 mm but considering that these Dell cards boils the Sanyo Wf I would 'upgrade' them to Nichicon Hz in 10x12.5 that has a higher rippel current at 2280 and a lower impedance of 0.012. Pretty sure the card would handle the lower impedance quite well.

Ripple should be the same or higher.
    ESR should be the same or less.

I have the same card and took a few pictures of it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Dell Perc 5i Model UCS-51

I just wanted to put a quick note for anybody searching on how to repair this board. At my work, we have this board in apx. 200 servers. That board had died on 15+ servers over the few years they have been running. A few days ago, I ordered 30+ new capacitors (The ones suggested by Gabriel) and fixed all the dead boards. Every one of them went from not working to back and alive. (Was able to move about 60GB around in testing with no problems, when before the board wouldn't even let the machine past POST).

So if you have one of these boards, don't hesitate to get the new capacitors and get your board back up and running. I desoldered the capacitor and just pulled one leg out then the other, then heated up the back side of the solder hole and pushed a safety pin though the front to clear the solder. Then installed the two new capacitors a quick dab of solder and they were back up and running.

Hope that helps somebody.

Laters,
      David

Comment

Working...
      X