Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Hi,

Toshiba Satellite L300 laptop freeze up when charger is plugged in...

--> if both processors are enable laptop freeze on start up itself with some color on screen. (charger plugged in)

--> works fine when laptop starts only on battery (with no charger plugged in) with both processors. Once OS is started and when as soon as charger is plugged in, laptop freeze with some color on screen..

--> works fine only one single processor (by disabling one processor from device manger) with battery

--> with single processor, charger plug in (with no battery) stays fine for hours with black screen, with select options like, safe mode, open windows normally etc, on clicking start window normal, hangs up either on loading windows icon, or sometime after windows started (say after 4-5 mins)

so is this really that A big one - NEC/TOKIN problem, if yes, before removing it , is their any way to check that this NEC/TOKIN is not working..

Please give solution to this problem. waiting..

thanks..

Comment

portal
      If your not sure its the nec/tokin then why not try what Rainbow did with his fix
      If it dont work then you can remove them and your nec/tokin will still be there
      If it works for you then you can decide on leaving it that way or remove the nec/tokin and repair it one of the other ways as in this thread

Rainbows fix is self explanatory, see
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...92&postcount=8

Comment

portal,

The symptoms you have mentioned are typical of a failing NEC/TOKIN cap. Just go ahead and replace it. If the replacement is done properly then you are certainly not going to be in any worse situation than what you are in now. On the other hand the probability of your problem being solved is very high.

Comment

it works for me thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sean riley View Post
            it works for me thanks
            Congrats
            but what works for you???
            give us some info please
            we would like to know

Comment

I replaced the capacitor 4 months ago and lately the laptop switches off completely.
              as though the problem is going to return ,I have cleaned the fans already and checked thermal paste.
              I wonder if the 4x220 caps I used from another laptop are going to start failing.or is it 1 of them, I can´t tell.

Comment

Originally posted by fabiog View Post
                I replaced the capacitor 4 months ago and lately the laptop switches off completely.
                as though the problem is going to return ,I have cleaned the fans already and checked thermal paste.
                I wonder if the 4x220 caps I used from another laptop are going to start failing.or is it 1 of them, I can´t tell.
                4 x 220uf = 880uf thats under the 900uf
                or did you mean 4 x330uf

Comment

i never use oe128 again, it just stand for a month
                  since i read this thread, i use smd tantalum 330 and it never problem

www.servicenotebookjakarta.com

Comment

sorry about that, I used 4x330 4v caps

Comment

Originally posted by redw00d View Post
                      hello everybody.

Just wanna ask masters, how can you know the capacitance of that NEC/TOKIN? I'm not a electronic tech.

I have a Toshiba satellite m200 laptop and i have the same problem. It boots at first, i can access the BIOS and it doesn't hang but when it boot to its hard drive it hangs and the screen is so bad (color lines are appearing). When i boot to dvd the same happens. I've tried searching the solution from the internet, some says the NEC/Tokin must replace. And now i've found this thread so i want to learn how to replace that thing.
                      Hi, I think tis model don't have The Nec Tokin, it just the L300 and A300
                      And this component can be replaced by 4 tantalo capacitors 330mf 2,5v.

Comment

sorry about that, I used 4x330 4v caps
                        Do you know which brand they are and how long they were used in the other laptop?

Comment

I used these ones ,the laptop must be about 5 years old.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I used these ones ,the laptop must be about 5 years old.
                            Specs look ok so it may be something to do with their quality and/or age, difficult to say. Pl let us know if and when you find an answer.

Comment

I want to buy 330uf 2.5 volts tantalum capacitors.. i am from london.. is there any online supplier in UK. i cant find the item on ebay.co.uk..

if any online store.. please send me a link.. thanks..

Comment

My Toshiba Satellite L300 also had same issue so i replaced NEC/Tokin OE907 with 330e09 x4 but still the problem is there ...
                                Mouse Pointer also jumping with AC Adapter.
                                Please help me to solve this

Comment

What ESR capacitors did you replace it with? If the ESR is too high it won't work. The 0e907 has an ESR of 1.5mOhm at 100kHz so the 4 caps in parallel should be less than 6mOhm each.
                                  Last edited by b700029; 12-27-2011, 03:18 AM.

Comment

I don't know ESR value of 330e09 Tantalum Capacitor. How ever again i put 5 parrelel 330e09 caps now it is working fine.

Comment

i have solution for bios password for most laptop.

Comment

hi,, i hope one will answer me. I have a Toshiba l300,, it has power but no display on the screen. Before that thing happened, the laptop turns off whenever i charge it. But if i dont connect it with AC adapter, everything works fine. Also, there are various colored lines on the screen when I charge it. then,, after a few days, the laptop did not display anything when i push the power button.

Is the NEC/TOKIN the problem?

Can i use 6.3V 10%, 4x 330(microFarad)??? thanks

Comment

It doesn't turn on at all anymore, even with a charged battery?

The "various colored lines on the screen" suggest the GPU coming loose from its solder balls (known problem). Replacing the capacitor will not help in that case, only reflow/reball. You can try applying light pressure on the GPU/chipset while attempting to power on; if it changes the situation, then that is the problem.

(This is not to say the CPU capacitor is fine; it may also be failing.)

Comment

Working...
                                          X