Hakko DASH series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hakko DASH series

Thinking of getting the Hakko Dash N454jn-v12, 25w, 450C tip temp, and only $32. May not be a station, but I don't really need one.

I was also thinking of getting the N454-T-D tip, chisel, 3mm width.

Re: Hakko DASH series

for that, you could get a xytronic 258 cheaper. its a temp-controlled 30w iron, with replacemnt tips made. ive seen them used a lot on my robotics team (4th year of use), i bought one many monthes ago and it was used a lot. i have no complaints, they run about 20-30 dollars plush shipping. tips arent expensive either.

mine will regulate up to 430c.

looking at that model, the xytronic 258 would blow it out of the water. more watts, temp control, lower price.

the 28 is like a station in iron form. best of both worlds.

there is my 2 cents. i'd skip the hakko dash, looks a bit crappy.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Watts is not indicative of heat, as the DASH is only 25W and 450C tip temp.

It's a hakko, how can it be low quality?

I was also thinking of getting this:

http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?C...PID=421&Page=2

both the 63 and 45W are 599C. $45 but it comes with a chisel tip, but it's 5mm width, would that be a problem? I don't think so because I mostly work on power supplies with large solder traces.

Comment

but more watts= harder to cool tip. also, the 258 has temp regulation. not that hakko is bad, but it looks pretty basic and lame. the 258 is just as good when it comes to quality.

for a bit less you get an iron that has temp control and is perfectly adequate for recapping, etc.
        sigpic

Comment

ratdude747 nailed it.
          The 63 watt will recover faster when you touch the work with it.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

>both the 63 and 45W are 599

but why would you need 600°c?
            you're aware that even 400+°c irons just burn the tip too quickly, right?
            get something temp. controlled....
            for 45$ there should be something decent...

or go cheap and get two: ratdude's 258, and some dirt-cheap 60w model when you need more grunt.
            (i don't really think there's big difference between 25 and 30w..you probably need more power for some things...
            i got weller spi41 to do mobos and essentially anything that needs more heat
            http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
            but i dunno if you have that in usa, and also i think it's way beyond that price range..
            this
            http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...c=037103209269
            seems close though)
            Last edited by i4004; 10-08-2009, 06:29 AM.

Comment

I used the Dash for many years before I got a FX-951 station this year it was a very good iron.

As for the Xytronic it's way too beefy for me the Hakko Dash and station irons are like a pencil the Xytronic is like a crayon.

I'd also like to measure this so called temp regulated design on my tip thermometer. Highly unlikely the regulation circuit could be that good jammed into the irons body. My FX-951 is + or - 1 Celcius in fluctuation for a baseline comparision.

Not to mention where is the transformer?

The only circuit I can think of for regulation would be a triac clipping the sine waveform similar to a home dimmer switch.

Hakko makes the best tips IMO real thick iron plating and they're inexpensive to boot I can't say for Xytronic.

If you want an inexpensive station go for the Hakko 936 about 80 bucks shipped on e-bay. If you want unregulated go for the 25W dash.
              Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-08-2009, 07:09 AM.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

A smaller tighter grip which allows more control over your joints trumps a mere 5 watts any day for me.

I know it sounds like I plug Hakko too much but I really am satisfied with their irons.

Having EVERY part for their irons available for purchase in case something breaks down doesn't hurt either.
                Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-08-2009, 07:22 AM.
                Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
                  >both the 63 and 45W are 599

but why would you need 600°c?
                  you're aware that even 400+°c irons just burn the tip too quickly, right?
                  get something temp. controlled....
                  for 45$ there should be something decent...

Well, my craftsman 25W 400C is pretty good at caps on motherboards, but the large solder traces on power supplies it struggles, which I have been working on quite a bit of psu's lately, including a few actual 600w+ psu's.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft

If you want an inexpensive station go for the Hakko 936 about 80 bucks shipped on e-bay. If you want unregulated go for the 25W dash.
                    havent tried the 936 but its probably the best idea.
                    http://www.hakkousa.com/products.asp?CID=49,112
                    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I'm really loving my Hakko 936. Dream to work with.

Comment

>Well, my craftsman 25W 400C is pretty good at caps on motherboards, but the large solder traces on power supplies it struggles, which I have been working on quite a bit of psu's lately, including a few actual 600w+ psu's.

then go with 40 or 60w iron, and not the 5mm chisel tip, as that is too wide to be universal...
                        i would say 2 or 3mm chisel, or "classic" pointed tip...

that way you can use bigger iron to do anything on psu.

here's mentioned weller(2mm chisel) and "el-cheapo" 60w iron...

Comment

oh yeah, alternative to that hakko station

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WES51-A.../dp/B000BRC2XU

mentioned by a guy in another thread...

Comment

Hello.

I would like to recommend the Hakko 936 also. It's a joy to use.

I can't speak for the Dash but if it's anything like my Hakko products (936, 808) you will probably like it a lot.

Are Hakko products "expensive"? Only the initial purchase price. They last a long time, parts are available and they help you get the job done well with less effort. As mentioned above, the 936's iron (Hakko 907) is slender, well balanced and allows for very precise soldering with little effort.

It appears to me that Hakko products were designed and built by people that have to solder a lot!

Have Fun,
                            Keri
                            The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

The Hakkos are great!

I have two 926-ESD and five 900M-ESD irons for them.
                              Picked the whole kit-kaboodle up last year for under $40 used.

Hakko 936 = Hakko 926 in a different 'box'.

I've seen the PCBs for both and it's the same circuit in a different layout to suit 'the box' they fit into. Other than passive components there are only two IC's and a Triac involved and 926 & 936 use exactly the same parts for those.

They list different watts for the over-all units but the irons they both use all have 50 watt heating elements and they use the same tips so the watts at the tip is the same.

They both use the 900S iron for their light duty option so I can't see a reason the other irons wouldn't be interchangeable too. The plug, pin-out, volts, and control circuits are the same. The only thing that seems to be different between their medium and heavy duty irons is the shape which would only matter for the iron holder on the side of the unit.

-
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                              -

Comment

Well, I wound up getting the 455-16. Weighs a ton and is super comfortable. Gets hot really quick too. No problem taking connectors with all the wires out of pcb's now. Only problem is the 5mm tip. If I turn it sideways, it works just fine for small stuff though.

Comment

~ Nice!

I just thought I'd throw in my observation so someone doesn't skip on a 926 if they come across one cheap.
                                  The 926 is electrically and functionally identical to the 936 but in a different 'package'.
                                  That kind of makes the 936 a REALLY old design in a pretty new box.
                                  On the other hand they are just temp controlled GP soldering irons.
                                  Not much you can do to improve something that works PERFECTLY WELL already.
                                  That would be like upgrading the design of a framing hammer. [What for?]

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

today i used the xytronic 258 to gut out transformers... loving it... heats fast and has the perfect sized tip!
                                    sigpic

Comment

Ya, my rat shack could do that too, but my hakko does it a lot better . 5mm tip can get two leads at a time. Real nice.

Comment

BTW, through Tues or Thurs, Fry's has the Hakko 936-12 soldering station for $60 + shipping.

Comment

Working...
                                        X