Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sensor Readings - CPU Temp vs Core Temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sensor Readings - CPU Temp vs Core Temp?

I just installed Psensor App on various boxes using Linux Mint 18.

This app reads the sensor outputs that you can usually see in your BIOS screens, but not once logged in to the OS.

So I'm using this on a C2D-equipped ASUS P5LD2-VM with E6700 CPU.
    The CPU temp is 34C, core0 is 56C and core1 is 54C.

What causes the big discrepancy in temp readings? Should I be concerned?
    Last edited by bigbeark; 03-02-2018, 11:04 AM.

Re: Sensor Readings - CPU Temp vs Core Temp?

Thermal resistance (of the heat sink, heat spreader, and air), and no.

Comment

errr "not once logged in to the os"? what did u mean by that? did u install lm-sensors too? also psensor lacks the ability to read the voltages. i had to use xsensors instead but xsensors lacks logging and graphing ability like psensor.

Comment

OP probably means you can't see the BIOS screens when you boot to the OS...

I recall having one machine at one point where I could press a hotkey to trigger BIOS routines. I haven't seen anything like this in a long time, too many conflicts.

Comment

The first number is probably Tcase, the temperature of the processor as a whole. Individual cores don't report their actual temperature, but instead the distance to TjMax, the temperature where the processor begins to throttle.

Depending on how your program is written, it could be passing this number along directly, which would result in the wild discrepancies you're seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
            OP probably means you can't see the BIOS screens when you boot to the OS...

I recall having one machine at one point where I could press a hotkey to trigger BIOS routines. I haven't seen anything like this in a long time, too many conflicts.
            Exactly what I meant to say! I will have a look at xsensor as well, thanks ChaosLegionnaire!

Comment

Working...
            X