Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Yes, the first time I did this was with hot air but the Tokin capacitor was literally dissolved.

Comment

do you mean the Tokin capacitor melt off when using hot gun? if yes, is there other way to do it in order to remove the capacitor?

Originally posted by ablacon64 View Post
      Yes, the first time I did this was with hot air but the Tokin capacitor was literally dissolved.

Comment

Infrared rework station.
        It doesn't matter if the capacitor melts, it's useless anyway.

Comment

I have a Toshiba Satellite A205 I believe to be the same issue. It freezes when AC adapter is plugged in. Computer only boots on battery. Will not boot when AC plugged in. I used hot air station to remove old TOKIN OE128 (1200uf 2.5v capacitor). It was very difficult to remove. The plastic covering on capacitor melted. I purchased same capacitor and could not get solder to flow without melting plastic. Purchased another capacitor and the cover also melted. So I used solder iron to attach ends. I tested capacitor on board after soldering and I have 1178uF, resistance=580m ohms. I still have same problem of not booting on AC but will run on battery. When AC is plugged in I hear a buzzing coming from the capacitor area. The capacitor does not have the plastic cover on it so I do not know if that is why the buzzing can be heard when I put my ear next to MOBO. I am wondering if I would have better luck purchasing 4 300uF Tantulum capacitors and soldering them in using iron. I could not find 300uF only 330uF Tantalum at digikey. I have tested unit using a different power adapter and same problem. Tested DC jack and it is good.
          Last edited by richbadcaps; 07-03-2011, 10:33 AM.

Comment

can i use this tool to remove the tokin capacitor?

Infrared rework station.
            It doesn't matter if the capacitor melts, it's useless anyway.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lhock98 View Post
              can i use this tool to remove the tokin capacitor?
              Yes and no. It will work but it's not the recommended tool for the job. You can damage the mainboard.

Comment

so to say that the best and safe way to remove the SMD is using the BGA rework station, right?

Yes and no. It will work but it's not the recommended tool for the job. You can damage the mainboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow View Post
                  Just fixed one Satellite A300. This is caused by a bad cap. A big one - NEC/TOKIN 0E907 (900uF/2.5V) under the CPU. Mine had 900uF but probably lost some of its magic, resulting in >100mV ripple on CPU power. Adding 1x 100uF and 5x 10uF ceramic caps fixed the problem.

Hi Rainbow and any that can help me to solve this issue. I have a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5804 that have the same problems. I'm sure that is the capacitor Nec Tokin, but I believe that mine is the OE128 1200uf 2.5v. My question is I can use your method but with 4 capacitors of 300uf 2.5v Tantulum??? I need to pull out the damaged NEC TOKIN or I can solder the 4 new capacitors leaving the damaged one like you did???? and where exactly can I solder the new ones. Thanks in advanced.

I appreciate any help for you or somebody that have the same laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by richbadcaps View Post
                    I have a Toshiba Satellite A205 I believe to be the same issue. It freezes when AC adapter is plugged in. Computer only boots on battery. Will not boot when AC plugged in. I used hot air station to remove old TOKIN OE128 (1200uf 2.5v capacitor). It was very difficult to remove. The plastic covering on capacitor melted. I purchased same capacitor and could not get solder to flow without melting plastic. Purchased another capacitor and the cover also melted. So I used solder iron to attach ends. I tested capacitor on board after soldering and I have 1178uF, resistance=580m ohms. I still have same problem of not booting on AC but will run on battery. When AC is plugged in I hear a buzzing coming from the capacitor area. The capacitor does not have the plastic cover on it so I do not know if that is why the buzzing can be heard when I put my ear next to MOBO. I am wondering if I would have better luck purchasing 4 300uF Tantulum capacitors and soldering them in using iron. I could not find 300uF only 330uF Tantalum at digikey. I have tested unit using a different power adapter and same problem. Tested DC jack and it is good.

Hi richbadcaps, I have the same laptop and the same power issue. I want to know if the 4 capacitors of the 300uf works or what you do to fix. If you did the 4 caps soldering and works great, did you have some pictures or drawings that explain me how??
                    thanks a lot for any help.

Comment

hi,

how much did you paid for your Achi IR-6000. The machine easy to use? is this the machine as shown?

I have an infrared rework station ("infradark" actually, ceramic heater), brand Achi, model IR-6000.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I'm in Brazil, machines here are very expensive because of the taxes. I've paid R$ 4,500.00 for it (about US$ 2,900.00).

Comment

Hi everyone, I want to know if this type of caps works: Panasonic SP-Cap 330uF 2V Polymer Alum. Capacitors

the only different is that is 2v not 2.5v.

Thanks

Comment

wow...price is damn high, i checked chinese site selling usd 1100 only. i tot of buying one to play about so can start to learn something from the machine.
                            but too i have no idea about this machine can do.

I'm in Brazil, machines here are very expensive because of the taxes. I've paid R$ 4,500.00 for it (about US$ 2,900.00).

Comment

hope this help http://cgi.ebay.com/10-PCS-330UF-2-5...item45fbba2f48 you can get it from here from i 'm not sure will seller ship to your country.

Originally posted by Volkymaniac View Post
                              Hi everyone, I want to know if this type of caps works: Panasonic SP-Cap 330uF 2V Polymer Alum. Capacitors

the only different is that is 2v not 2.5v.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lhock98 View Post
                                wow...price is damn high, i checked chinese site selling usd 1100 only. i tot of buying one to play about so can start to learn something from the machine.
                                but too i have no idea about this machine can do.
                                The price is high because of the taxes. In Brazil the government taxes are one of the world's highest.

This machine basically heats the motherboard from below and from the top, no secret at all. It heats up following a predefined profile to avoid stressing the PCB and the components and perform an uniform BGA soldering. You can do the same with a electric grill (or a pancake griddle or even a hot plate) and a hot air station like the one you posted before, but it's a little trickier.

I prefer using the IR6000, but when I did not have the money to buy it, I used to have an electric grill and a hot air station and was able to perform the job normally. So, you may want to give it a try before spending those thousand dollars.

Comment

How about that caps:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-CAP-...0324177&sr=8-2

works or not????

Thanks

P.S. Thanks Ihock98 I will check

Comment

sorry calculation error for the IR6000 should be USD630. can i get 2 hot air gun to do the job? the hot air gun i saw from the chinese site selling for USD40 only.

The price is high because of the taxes. In Brazil the government taxes are one of the world's highest.

This machine basically heats the motherboard from below and from the top, no secret at all. It heats up following a predefined profile to avoid stressing the PCB and the components and perform an uniform BGA soldering. You can do the same with a electric grill (or a pancake griddle or even a hot plate) and a hot air station like the one you posted before, but it's a little trickier.

I prefer using the IR6000, but when I did not have the money to buy it, I used to have an electric grill and a hot air station and was able to perform the job normally. So, you may want to give it a try before spending those thousand dollars.

Comment

In theory, yes.

Comment

Hello

I have the same reboot problem when i plug in power adapter ,I have Toshiba satelite L300.
                                        When i plug in the power adapter I can hear a hissing /oozing sound coming from the motherboard.I dont know if i change those capacitors the problem and sound will dissapear.

ablacon64 can I use a normal soldering iron to attach those 330uf capacitors?

Comment

hello everybody.

Just wanna ask masters, how can you know the capacitance of that NEC/TOKIN? I'm not a electronic tech.

I have a Toshiba satellite m200 laptop and i have the same problem. It boots at first, i can access the BIOS and it doesn't hang but when it boot to its hard drive it hangs and the screen is so bad (color lines are appearing). When i boot to dvd the same happens. I've tried searching the solution from the internet, some says the NEC/Tokin must replace. And now i've found this thread so i want to learn how to replace that thing.

Comment

Working...
                                          X