No announcement yet.

Gateway FPD2485W - capacitor related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway FPD2485W - capacitor related?

Unless it's a trick of the light, I see connect 4 on your power supply!
    That's 4 bad capacitors....

Comment

Originally posted by seanc View Post
      Unless it's a trick of the light, I see connect 4 on your power supply!
      That's 4 bad capacitors....
      I agree with Sean, those four in the lower left hand corner of your power supply pcb definitely look domed. Would need higher resolution shots to be sure though. Your inverter pcb is to the right of your power supply board.

Comment

Originally posted by djfourmoney View Post
        Here the pic -
        Folks here prefer that you use the manage attachments versus inline pics.

See

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868

PS. It sure looks like you have bad swollen caps.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Wrog View Post
          I agree with Sean, those four in the lower left hand corner of your power supply pcb definitely look domed. Would need higher resolution shots to be sure though. Your inverter pcb is to the right of your power supply board.
          Is this the area your talking about?
          Attached Files

Comment

Your inverter pcb is to the right of your power supply board.
            You mean the part that has the ribbon to the touch controls/power button?

Comment

In the circled red area, they sure look domed in the picture. If unsure, post clear focused pictures with a resolution as close to 2000x2000.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yes, exactly! As retiredcaps says, please post a higher resolution shot of this area (maybe the whole power supply board if you would please).

You mean the part that has the ribbon to the touch controls/power button?
                I don't think the inverter board has the FFC to the touch controls, this should either be on the main board or the USB sub-board (I forget which on this model).

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                  In the circled red area, they sure look domed in the picture. If unsure, post clear focused pictures with a resolution as close to 2000x2000.
                  My point and shoot only goes up to HD (1080p, 1920x1200) that's has high as can go.

Comment

My point and shoot only goes up to HD (1080p, 1920x1200) that's has high as can go.
                    That sounds adequate. Your previous pictures were 800x600.

Comment

Here is how I take pictures for posting.

Take your boards to a window on a sunny day, turn flash off, and use macro mode. Take a top down view of all your boards (front and back). Make sure the photo is legible so that we can read the PCB printing clearly. A shutter speed of 1/125 or faster will produce nice clear focus pictures. Try to get a photo that is 2000x2000 resolution or as close as possible.

Here is an example of the pictures we want.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                        Here is how I take pictures for posting.

Take your boards to a window on a sunny day, turn flash off, and use macro mode. Take a top down view of all your boards (front and back). Make sure the photo is legible so that we can read the PCB printing clearly. A shutter speed of 1/125 or faster will produce nice clear focus pictures. Try to get a photo that is 2000x2000 resolution or as close as possible.

Here is an example of the pictures we want.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1
                        Better?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Better, yes. But the focus should be on the caps and not the wiring. The way to do this (on many digital cameras): push down halfway on the button to focus, then move the camera to frame the rest of the picture. This will allow you to focus on anything and include anything surrounding that may help. That being said, I still can't tell if they are bulging but it does look at least a little like they are. If the tops are not completely flat, then it's time to replace them.

Comment

Better, yes. But the focus should be on the caps and not the wiring. The way to do this (on many digital cameras): push down halfway on the button to focus, then move the camera to frame the rest of the picture. This will allow you to focus on anything and include anything surrounding that may help. That being said, I still can't tell if they are bulging but it does look at least a little like they are. If the tops are not completely flat, then it's time to replace them.
                            The four on that side are all domed, not seriously but none the less not completely flat like the others.

Guess it wouldn't hurt to replace them all.

Could these be found at Fry's?

Comment

The four on that side are all domed, not seriously but none the less not completely flat like the others.

Guess it wouldn't hurt to replace them all.

Could these be found at Fry's?
                              The only radial caps I see at Fry's are NTE brand, and I've never heard of them. Safer to go with Panasonic FC or FM from Digikey or Mouser. I would also recommend replacing all of them on the power supply except for the large one on its side. It looks like there are 11 not including the big one. If you want help picking out replacements, list the uF, volts, make/series, diameter and height of each cap you are replacing and someone will make recommendations (the easy way is to just stick with Panasonic FC/FM though).

Comment

Domed, no matter how convex, indicated a bad cap -> i.e, definitely needs to be replaced as Wrog suggests with low ESR caps like Panasonic FM or FC series.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have this same Monitor, just got dropped off at my shop... I just fix computers and don't do any soldering... I get a "zilp" kinda zap noise every like 1.5 seconds whenever I attach the power.

Looking at the power close image that is where the noise is coming from. it's in the general area of where the power cable is plugged into. (like just in from it... maybe the box I can't identify because this isn't my feild.)

Do you know what the heck I'm talking about and any clues on how to fix this?

Also the "capacitor" on the bottom left in the power close image, on my board is bulged at the top to the point where it looks as though there is a slightly larger than a pin, hole in the top.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comment

Originally posted by crisisnite View Post
                                    Do you know what the heck I'm talking about and any clues on how to fix this?
                                    We always ask for pictures of your boards so we can reference components and see possible problems on your board. So start with that.

See post #90 and post the pictures using manage attachments. Please do not post inline.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

First off, thank you for such a great resource and, in advance, any help that you gurus and experts will be able to provide!

I recently acquired a Gateway FPD2485W that is having the following problem: Unit powers on, displays blue power light on lower right hand corner, fades to purple and then orange/amber. When powering on, the "chimes" do sound, however nothing appears on the screen - whether that is the Gateway logo or input from any source (component, DVI, VGA). Even with a flashlight on it, the LCD does not display an image.

I pulled the casing apart (pain in the butt) and found a few capacitors that appear to be bad - I am hoping you experts can help identify and confirm, by visual, that these are indeed bad and would be causing the problems I am experiencing. With my limited knowledge, atleast one on the power board and (2) on the inverter board are bad.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by crashp3 View Post
                                        First off, thank you for such a great resource and, in advance, any help that you gurus and experts will be able to provide!

I recently acquired a Gateway FPD2485W that is having the following problem: Unit powers on, displays blue power light on lower right hand corner, fades to purple and then orange/amber. When powering on, the "chimes" do sound, however nothing appears on the screen - whether that is the Gateway logo or input from any source (component, DVI, VGA). Even with a flashlight on it, the LCD does not display an image.

I pulled the casing apart (pain in the butt) and found a few capacitors that appear to be bad - I am hoping you experts can help identify and confirm, by visual, that these are indeed bad and would be causing the problems I am experiencing. With my limited knowledge, atleast one on the power board and (2) on the inverter board are bad.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Looks like 3 caps on the power board are bulged. However, with the exception of the large 450V cap, replace ALL of them with something like the Panasonic FR,FM or FC series of caps. Order through digikey.com and select USPS First Class ship for lowest rate.

Also, replace BOTH caps on the inverter board, since they are starting to leak. Use same series caps as above.

On the inverter board, check fuse, F1 (lower right), for continuity and mosfets, Q1-Q4, for shorts.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                                          Looks like 3 caps on the power board are bulged. However, with the exception of the large 450V cap, replace ALL of them with something like the Panasonic FR,FM or FC series of caps. Order through digikey.com and select USPS First Class ship for lowest rate.

Also, replace BOTH caps on the inverter board, since they are starting to leak. Use same series caps as above.

On the inverter board, check fuse, F1 (lower right), for continuity and mosfets, Q1-Q4, for shorts.
                                          Jetadm123, thank you for the quick reply!

Based on your advice, I checked the F1 fuse for continuity, and it appears to be blown. Q1-4 appear to be fine.

Anyone know where a replacment fuse can be found, or can I just wire up a regular fuse with wire leads to make it easier?

Comment

Working...
                                          X