Sanyo DP42849 - HDMI Doesn't Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanyo DP42849 - HDMI Doesn't Work

Originally, this TV had no power as documented here. I've got it up and running now, but I can't seem to get the HDMI inputs to work. One of the component inputs works fine (I've only tested Component 3 and the HDMIs so far), but all of the HDMI inputs say "No Signal" when I hook my 360 up.

Any ideas? Is there usually a reason the HDMI connections stop working?
    Are the newer HDMI cables (what I have) backward compatible with older TVs?

Lots of pics in other thread for reference.

Thanks.
    Last edited by NihonNoir; 04-20-2014, 10:31 AM.

Re: Sanyo DP42849 - HDMI Doesn't Work

Don't want to sound stupid, but if you have tried all the HDMI inputs with the same cable and the 360 - Maybe try a different cable or a different device?

The 360 may be pumping out a res above what the TV can accept.

Comment

Well, I thought it might be resolution, but this TV is supposed to be 1080p. I did try both 1080i and 720 on the 360, but no go.

The cable works with my newer LED TV. And unfortunately, my 360 is the only HDMI device I have. I'm a little behind the times . . .

Thanks!

Comment

Its not unusual for the HDMI controllers to fail--often caused by the implied 'plug/play' of the system.

IMHO--HDMI is Not a Plug/Play system. One or both devices should be completely off and disconnected from the mains supply when the HDMI is installed...
        TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
        http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
        PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

. . . well, I read that HDMI is susceptible to power surges, which is likely what happened to this television.

What is the general procedure for repair - a chip on the main board?

Comment

The HDMI chip would need to be replaced but that can be hard to get hold of.
            Why do US TVs always suffer so badly from power surges? Worst I've seen was blown fuse & bridge rectifier.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

. . . I've always heard that the U.S. is notorious for power surges compared to other developed nations. Old infrastructure maybe.

Would you be able to help me identify where it is?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by NihonNoir; 04-20-2014, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Think the HDMI chip is buried under the shield, which I hope comes off with some screws...
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

. . . knowing this stupid TV, who knows? It's one difficult thing after another with this beast.

Can you tell at all from this pic? Looks to me like there are some screws holding it to the board . . .
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, I'm just hoping only screws, not solder...

Comment

Hi might sound stupid but has your xbox been connected to a tv by its composite cable ? if so it will not output hdmi and you will need to plug it in via composite cable and change output to hdmi. Sorry I don't want to state the obvious but spent hours on my sons xbox and that was the problem

Comment

Originally posted by jwilliams1967 View Post
                        Hi might sound stupid but has your xbox been connected to a tv by its composite cable ? if so it will not output hdmi and you will need to plug it in via composite cable and change output to hdmi. Sorry I don't want to state the obvious but spent hours on my sons xbox and that was the problem
                        that doesn't sound stupid, that is a good possibility. there is way to reset the xbox by hold some buttons. Also I will reset everything on the TV from the TV menu function.

Comment

I agree that HDMI is NOT a "hot swappable" thing to try and do... I have seen several HDMIs on TVs go unusable for awhile then later work again but eventually the port fried out on those unit cause they didnt listen and now have to use component...

I also tinker with xboxes on the side; depending on the model of the xbox unit there can be an issue with the HDMI port itself; does the HDMI on the xbox work on another tvs HDMI..?

If the xbox works on other TVs than the HDMI chip or port can be shot on the mainboard of the TV...

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Here's how the Xbox 360 handles video output: If HDMI is hooked up and working, it will show a picture. It might look like crap if the console is not set to 720/1080, but it will still show something. Unlike a TV where one needs to select either component or composite via menu, the output selection on the 360 is automatically detected. Just the quality of the picture is manually changed.

360 works fine on other HDTV.

. . . I have no idea how to reset the TV other than unplugging and holding power button, which doesn't work

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by NihonNoir View Post
                              Thanks for the replies guys. Here's how the Xbox 360 handles video output: If HDMI is hooked up and working, it will show a picture. It might look like crap if the console is not set to 720/1080, but it will still show something. Unlike a TV where one needs to select either component or composite via menu, the output selection on the 360 is automatically detected. Just the quality of the picture is manually changed.

360 works fine on other HDTV.

. . . I have no idea how to reset the TV other than unplugging and holding power button, which doesn't work

Thanks!
                              I remember resetting my a friend xbox because he will travel from one house using HDMI and then at his house he was using composite input. the xbox didn't switch automatically between the two outputs

Resetting your TV to factory can be done from the "MENU" function on the TV. you have to browse through the menu to find it.

I found this on the web:
                              Reset the console display settings (xbox)

If the display problem is still not resolved, reset the display settings of your console. Here's how:

Remove any discs from the disc tray.
                              Turn off the console.
                              Turn on the console.

Note If you are using an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, turn on the console by using the Guide button on the controller. Make sure that you use the player 1 controller when you do this. The player 1 controller will have the upper-left light illuminated.
                              As the console starts, on the controller, press and hold Y while pulling the right trigger. The display settings are reset to the default settings, and then the console automatically restarts.
                              Last edited by ecking767; 04-24-2014, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ecking767 View Post
                                I remember resetting my a friend xbox because he will travel from one house using HDMI and then at his house he was using composite input. the xbox didn't switch automatically between the two outputs
                                That's abnormal behaviour. By design, the 360 will automatically detect what kind of connection is being used. Mine has no trouble switching automatically between an SD and an HD connection on its own.

Thanks for the information. That just resets the resolution, tho.

There's no menu button on the television.

Comment

here is a link to your TV user manual, review page 6 and page 18 maybe this will help

page 6 you will need the original remote to reset the tv

page 18 are setting on the HDMI port input

Last edited by ecking767; 04-24-2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try to get a remote off eBay for it. Can't believe they didn't put a menu button on the TV . . .

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                      Think the HDMI chip is buried under the shield, which I hope comes off with some screws...
                                      Finally found some time to mess around with this TV again. The shield does come off easily - here are some photos.

To recap: this is the television that didn't work at all, likely as the result of a power surge. Got it working, but none of the HDMI ports work.

Component works, but it has trouble displaying darker colour saturation without pixelating. Not sure if that's normal for a large TV, or if that's an issue with this particular model, or what.

Any ideas would be helpful, thank you.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Bump

Comment

Working...
                                        X