Ratdude's Main rig V2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's Main rig V2

Yeah I usually buy them on ebay, a nice fresh sticker always looks nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
      Yeah I usually buy them on ebay, a nice fresh sticker always looks nice!
      I got mine there as well. The issue was that I placed the front one and them moved it. Big mistake!
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Ohhh okay, yeah It's nearly impossible to move them

Comment

Good news and Bad news this time.

Bad news: while writing this post the first time, my 320gb drive took a megashit on me. The system locked up; thinking it was a RAM issue, I did a hard reboot. However, given that grub threw an error and went to rescue mode, it looks like an HDD issue.

Good news: Everything for the post I was able to recover off the HDD and offload to an external HDD. I'm posting this off the system using a live linux mint DVD I had burnt as a test.

My $26 of RAM came in today:

To make 2gb fit on a single DDR module, they had to stack the chips:

RAM installed:

(The following screenshots were taken before the HDD failure)

Total RAM:

And all my idle temps (F@H disabled):

Lm87 just has a some redundant temperatures and 0'd out fan RPMs/voltages, so it wasn't included in the panel.

Something interesting to note is that despite the fact it is running off a live DVD, my performance is actually pretty snappy. Must be the massive 8gb of RAM.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ratdude747; 12-27-2012, 05:15 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

CPU fans at 3500RPM? That must sound like a jet engine.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              Not compared to the stock fans. At full blast (No PWM signal) they did about 5000RPM

...and now you see why I swapped the fans (in addition to cable lengths).
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                3500 RPM is not bad. The 70 mm CPU fan (Delta??) in my 939 Athlon 64 3200+ PC runs around that speed as well and compared to my other computers, it is relatively quiet - probably about the same as those older Pentium 4 -based Dell Dimension/OptiPlex towers with the 92 mm fans.

But 5000 RPM - that really is loud. I have a Pentium 3 PC with a 50 mm fan that runs at 5500 to 5700 RPM. If you think 5000 RPM is loud, you've heard nothing. Coupled with 2 ball-bearing HDDs (one very worn and noisy) and a PSU that runs its 80 mm fan on full 12V, you would need some serious ear protection to stand around that computer. I always have mine - a pair of Sony MDR-023 headphones plugged in a Yamaha YMF-724 sound card with a TDA1517 audio amp and going at full blast .

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  Good news and Bad news this time.

Bad news: while writing this post the first time, my 320gb drive took a megashit on me. The system locked up; thinking it was a RAM issue, I did a hard reboot. However, given that grub threw an error and went to rescue mode, it looks like an HDD issue.

Good news: Everything for the post I was able to recover off the HDD and offload to an external HDD. I'm posting this off the system using a live linux mint DVD I had burnt as a test.

My $26 of RAM came in today:

To make 2gb fit on a single DDR module, they had to stack the chips:

RAM installed:

(The following screenshots were taken before the HDD failure)

Total RAM:

And all my idle temps (F@H disabled):

Lm87 just has a some redundant temperatures and 0'd out fan RPMs/voltages, so it wasn't included in the panel.

Something interesting to note is that despite the fact it is running off a live DVD, my performance is actually pretty snappy. Must be the massive 8gb of RAM.
                  Wow! 8 GB of DDR1 for roughly the same as 8 GB of DDR3!

I thought that was impossible! From stuff I have been looking at, even a paltry 2 GB is on the high side!

Even with DDR2, a lot of places freaking want $100+ for 8 GB!

With many wanting that much for *even* DDR2, most folks can forget about having 8 GB of DDR1!

It's hard to even get 2 GB of DDR1, LOL.

I want to get 8 GB of DDR2 for my LGA 775 system.

I had to mix just to get more than 2 GB, even with DDR2! Because even a lousy 2 GB stick costs more than $26 around here.
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-28-2012, 08:47 PM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

LONG post ahead!

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                    Wow! 8 GB of DDR1 for roughly the same as 8 GB of DDR3!

I thought that was impossible! From stuff I have been looking at, even a paltry 2 GB is on the high side!

Even with DDR2, a lot of places freaking want $100+ for 8 GB!

With many wanting that much for *even* DDR2, most folks can forget about having 8 GB of DDR1!

It's hard to even get 2 GB of DDR1, LOL.

I want to get 8 GB of DDR2 for my LGA 775 system.

I had to mix just to get more than 2 GB, even with DDR2! Because even a lousy 2 GB stick costs more than $26 around here.

Keep in mind a few things:

1. This is registered ECC Server DDR. Most consumer DDR mobo's won't work with it... 2gb is only a registered size anyway (like 1gb SDRAM ECC modules). Since so few things still in use can use it, the demand is "in ze sh!tter".

2. This is only PC2100 (266mhz). I'm sure the faster DDR's (2700/3200) is a lot more expensive. Not sure if the PC1600 (200mhz) versions would go for less.

This rig maxes at 266mhz for the RAM timing, so PC2700 (333mhz) would only be at best only a tad bit faster/more efficient (or so I was once told). PC3200 wouldn't be any faster at all, so unless I was planning to go to a different system with the RAM (which I ain't), It would be massive waste of $.

The strange thing is that the chipset could supposedly do 333mhz; the Asus version of the board had it listed as a valid timing. However, as shown by the one Topcat has for sale, the tradeoff of no pci-X had to be made to pull it off (or so I remember reading in a review). Given that I am using a PCI-X 3ware card, I'll take PCI-X over faster RAM.

Side note: Yeah, I plugged one of topcat's mobo listings, but he gave me the board among other parts, so he deserves it. Thanks for the epic piece of HW, Topcat!

---

I did a noise test today. It was about as loud as an old AT system. Sounded like one too. I know, not super quiet, but nothing I couldn't live with. If I wanted quiet, I wouldn't have gone with a netburst based system.

---

The HDDs will ship tomorrow (from what I was told) and the monoprice order (SATA and LCD cables) is on the way. Once I get those, other than the original I/O shield (coming soon from topcat) and perhaps a fresh CPU badge, it will be pretty much complete.

Final (projected) specs:

AFT Mac clone case (Heavily Modded)
                    600W Coolermaster SilentPro PSU
                    92mm Jamicon rear fan (sleeve Bearing)*

Supermicro X5DAL-TG2
                    Twin Intel Xeon 3.2 gHz (Gallatin 1M)
                    Foxconn 60MM 2U Coolers (Heavily modified)
                    8gb PC2100 ECC DDR

ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro (512mb)
                    LSI 1394 card
                    Chaintech VIA Envy 24bit audio w/ AC '97 connector
                    3ware 9500s 4 port SATA1 PCI-X card

Lite-On Lightscribe DVD-RW (IDE)
                    Lite-On CD-RW (IDE)
                    Panasonic Floppy Drive
                    3x 74gb WD Velociraptor 10,000RPM SATA (RAID 0)**
                    AFT Pro-28U Card reader

Debian Wheezy i686-PAE (Gnome Shell)

2x Acer AL1716 17" LCDs
                    Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX
                    Compaq Premier Sound Speakers w/ Large subwoofer
                    Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard (via USB to PS/2 adapter)
                    Microsoft Optical Intellimouse 5 button (via USB to PS/2 adapter)
                    Hacked Xbox Controller S (old cable swapped for USB cable)

*- I may swap it for a BB fan, I suspect it may be on its way to fan heaven.
                    **- Not sure if I'll do RAID 1 or RAID 5. I'm leaning towards RAID 1 since 5's write speeds are crap (from what I read). Anybody have some insight on this?

This is the rig I have been more or less dreaming of for the past 4 years or so. I never thought I'd have a really powerful workstation style system this early in my life.

Thanks to these members for either giving or selling me the stuff to make this rig possible:

Topcat- motherboard, CPU backplates, 1gb of RAM
                    Everell- both PSUs
                    Uranium-235 GPU #1 (9800 pro)
                    TorqueRanger GPU #2 (HD2400 pro)
                    yyonline Sound card, 1gb of RAM
                    Spacedye69- floppy drive*
                    Shovenose- HDDs**

*- was left in an old desktop case he sold me for another project. I'll count it.
                    **- Not yet installed

And for everybody who commented and helped out, you all get a thanks as well.

Any more comments or (constructive) suggestions?
                    Last edited by ratdude747; 12-29-2012, 12:13 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

I was amazed, even though it's PC2100. Wish I can get 4 2 GB DDR2 sticks for my LGA 775 box.

And speaking about PC2100, it's possible that it would also work nice with my
                      MSI 845E Max socket 478 board with Northwood B0 2.4. (512 KB L2)

It's possible to do 150 with PC2100 at 2.5-3-3-7, IIRC.

I also wished I had a Radeon 9800 Pro that worked right with my socket 478 box. I got one in spring, 2007 and it suddenly gives me a corrupted BIOS screen and corrupted screen in OS and it seems to work right for only a short time after reseating it, for the problem to come back, seems to be a bad joint. Ended up chucking it.

At least I don't think it had FZ caps, hooray. That's why I condemned my eVGA GeForce 7600 GS, even when it was still working fine!
                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-28-2012, 11:34 PM.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

If the badge stays adhered, that is.

I learned the hard way not to try to re-position those... it's not sticking. I also, like a clumsy idiot, scratched the crap out of it trying to get it to re-stick better.

Maybe when I feel like smoking another $2.75 I'll order a fresh one.
                        i havnt even applied the one for my current setup yet.
                        My Computer.
                        AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                        Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                        Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                        500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                        1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                        2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

92mm Jamicon rear fan (sleeve Bearing)*
                          *- I may swap it for a BB fan, I supect it may be on it's way to fan heaven
                          Jamicon fans are good. Just open it and scrub the shaft and sleeve bearing very well. With a proper cleaning and oiling, it will last you for years to come. I just checked on a Superred 80 mm PSU sleeve bearing fan I cleaned and oiled 4 years ago - still spins freely and quietly as if it was new. When I found it 4 years ago, it was completely seized - impossible to turn even by hand. Had to pry it (!!) with a screw driver. Upon opening, the locking washer and the "soft" silicone spacers on the back and the front both fell apart - that's how overheated and dry they were. Also, I had to drill through the back since this was a sealed fan. So technically, that fan has been running for 4 years now with an "open" back and no spacers or locking washer.

It pretty much goes to show you how tough most sleeve bearing fans can be. I also cleaned a cheap Te Bao Metallic Plastic fan yesterday. Almost seized and very dry. Scrubbed the sleeve bearing, cleaned, then oiled, and it came back to life too.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                            Jamicon fans are good. Just open it and scrub the shaft and sleeve bearing very well. With a proper cleaning and oiling, it will last you for years to come. I just checked on a Superred 80 mm PSU sleeve bearing fan I cleaned and oiled 4 years ago - still spins freely and quietly as if it was new. When I found it 4 years ago, it was completely seized - impossible to turn even by hand. Had to pry it (!!) with a screw driver. Upon opening, the locking washer and the "soft" silicone spacers on the back and the front both fell apart - that's how overheated and dry they were. Also, I had to drill through the back since this was a sealed fan. So technically, that fan has been running for 4 years now with an "open" back and no spacers or locking washer.

It pretty much goes to show you how tough most sleeve bearing fans can be. I also cleaned a cheap Te Bao Metallic Plastic fan yesterday. Almost seized and very dry. Scrubbed the sleeve bearing, cleaned, then oiled, and it came back to life too.
                            I did restore a sleeve bearing scythe fan (PWM 92mm) by repacking it with lithium grease... I could also use ATF (I have a oil can with dex/merc mix).

I thought a BB fan might perform better... would it?

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                            I was amazed, even though it's PC2100. Wish I can get 4 2 GB DDR2 sticks for my LGA 775 box.

And speaking about PC2100, it's possible that it would also work nice with my
                            MSI 845E Max socket 478 board with Northwood B0 2.4. (512 KB L2)

It's possible to do 150 with PC2100 at 2.5-3-3-7, IIRC.

I also wished I had a Radeon 9800 Pro that worked right with my socket 478 box. I got one in spring, 2007 and it suddenly gives me a corrupted BIOS screen and corrupted screen in OS and it seems to work right for only a short time after reseating it, for the problem to come back, seems to be a bad joint. Ended up chucking it.

At least I don't think it had FZ caps, hooray. That's why I condemned my eVGA GeForce 7600 GS, even when it was still working fine!
                            My 9800 pro fried... The fan failed during a memtest86+ run. I previously tried to fix the fan via a re-lube. I used ATF, which leaked from the apparently worn seals. If I knew about the oil leak I would have swapped the cooler... but it was to late (got so hot I burnt my finger) and the card was toast. Hence the much faster 2400Pro (I was gonna swap it eventually, but I had plans for the 9800).

I looked it up on MSI, your board will NOT work with ECC Buffered DDR. Unbuffered non-ECC consumer DDR only.
                            Last edited by ratdude747; 12-29-2012, 12:20 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I did restore a sleeve bearing scythe fan (PWM 92mm) by repacking it with lithium grease... I could also use ATF (I have a oil can with dex/merc mix).

My 9800 pro fried... The fan failed during a memtest86+ run. I previously tried to fix the fan via a re-lube. I used ATF, which leaked from the apparently worn seals. If I knew about the oil leak I would have swapped the cooler... but it was to late (got so hot I burnt my finger) and the card was toast. Hence the much faster 2400Pro (I was gonna swap it eventually, but I had plans for the 9800).

I looked it up on MSI, your board will NOT work with ECC Buffered DDR. Unbuffered non-ECC consumer DDR only.
                              Sorry, I was just talking about the RAM clock ratings. And my Radeon 9800 Pro suddenly went to shit when outside of Windows when wiping the HDD or checking the SMART, IIRC. I gave it an alcohol bath just in case I had dirty contacts.

Really upsetting that I didn't feel safe with my GeForce 7600 GS, despite working nicely.
                              (Plagued with FZs -> typical 7-series crap) (I'm NOT aware of eVGA 9-series using those.)

I got my GeForce 7600 GS in November, 2007, because of the bad Radeon 9800 Pro fiasco of spring, 2007.

The eVGA GeForce 9500 GT uses Fujitsu just like my Asus P5QL Pro.
                              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-29-2012, 01:48 AM.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

I'd Recap the 7600... Why not?

They poly mod really well... Topcat did a batch of them once, which he did all but 2 or 4 in polys (I have one in my dad's rig, 150% stable).
                                sigpic

Comment

FYI: I memtested the new RAM last night... 100% passed. Yay!
                                  sigpic

Comment

I'd Recap the 7600... Why not?
                                    I chucked it.
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

It's not about what lubricant you use (though some are definitely better than others). The most critical thing is resurfacing/scrubbing the sleeve bearing and then giving it a good cleaning. If you don't, the fan will go dry and fail again.

I use regular non-synthetic motor oil (though synthetic will work just as well). ATF is fine too. Even used motor oil works. Lithium grease is OK, but avoid other types of grease because some of them tend to dry over time. In my experience, though, no type of grease will perform as good as oil - they are just too sticky and viscous.

Ball bearing is more reliable but also noisier.

My 9800 pro fried... The fan failed during a memtest86+ run. I previously tried to fix the fan via a re-lube. I used ATF, which leaked from the apparently worn seals. If I knew about the oil leak I would have swapped the cooler... but it was to late (got so hot I burnt my finger) and the card was toast.
                                      Those GPUs are manufactured on 150 nm technology - they are tough as nails. Probably not dead. I caught my friend's 9800 Pro just as the fan was getting ready to seize. The thing ran really really hot. I did the sleeve bearing resurfacing/scrubbing and it's been working fine for a few years now.

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP
                                      I chucked it.
                                      You never heard of ebay?
                                      People buy broken stuff on there, myself included.
                                      Last edited by momaka; 12-29-2012, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Rd what's that tracking # again? I sent it to you on Skype. Be curious on the progress

Comment

It's not about what lubricant you use (though some are definitely better than others). The most critical thing is resurfacing/scrubbing the sleeve bearing and then giving it a good cleaning. If you don't, the fan will go dry and fail again.

I use regular non-synthetic motor oil (though synthetic will work just as well). ATF is fine too. Even used motor oil works. Lithium grease is OK, but avoid other types of grease because some of them tend to dry over time. In my experience, though, no type of grease will perform as good as oil - they are just too sticky and viscous.
                                          Noted.

Ball bearing is more reliable but also noisier.

Those GPUs are manufactured on 150 nm technology - they are tough as nails
                                          . Probably not dead. I caught my friend's 9800 Pro just as the fan was getting ready to seize. The thing ran really really hot. I did the sleeve bearing resurfacing/scrubbing and it's been working fine for a few years now.
                                          Then explain the artifacts it develops when you first boot it up... that get worse and worse the longer it is powered on? I have a PCI-E ATI card with the same issue... Every expert I talked to said that's a fried GPU (I was able to steal a Zalman GPU cooler off it at least; I used it to fix a 8400GS card).

You never heard of ebay?
                                          People buy broken stuff on there, myself included.
                                          I would have bought it... Curses! Another good piece of hardware gone bye-bye.

Perhaps we need a bulletin to newcomers not to toss stuff with bad caps that they don't want to fix... Sometimes some pretty $$$/rare stuff gets tossed this way. Especially if that 7600 was an AGP card.

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                          Rd what's that tracking # again? I sent it to you on Skype. Be curious on the progress
                                          I have the #... Let's keep the details to skype please.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X