Abit BX133-RAID overkill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abit BX133-RAID overkill

Hi guys, I have some nice plans with this ol' king First of all, I did complete recap and rewired the chokes with the thickest coloured wire I could find.

Now I am thinking about replacing all the old MOSFETs with some newer ones with lower RDS (on). To be specific, swap two 32N03L, two 76129S and two 3055LA for six D452 from dead HD 3870.

Only slight problem is I would have to remove the caps again so I can get the MOSFETs out, but hell, I could do that :-)

The goal is to run Celeron Tualatin 1,4 GHz on some nice clocks here

Whaddaya say?
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Re: Abit BX133-RAID overkill

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
    Whaddaya say?
    I don't know, I don't have any experience on the matter.
    It does sound like a very cool idea to try, though . Post some pictures when you're done with it, if possible.

Comment

Have been even thinking about polymod when I'd have all the caps removed anyway. I canibalized whole bunch of them from all the graphics I killed (or another people gave me as dead).
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

I'm quite sure that the limit on how far you can clock it will be given by the fact that the board has no PCI locks. I've always wondered if you CAN just clock the PCI bus from a separate 33MHz source on a board that did not support it from the get go, and i may do an experiment on one of the old boards i have. And if it works? Well, i just found something new i can do to my dual-PIII.

As far as my logic goes, if the 33MHz source is also driven from the same 14.31818MHz crystal (system clock), it should work... and that is easily doable by just using a second PLL chip scavenged from a dead motherboard. I'll have to look up some datasheets of PLLs that do support PCI locks and we'll see.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Also the AGP bus, but maybe that could be derived from PCI.

Well, this would be pretty perverse, many of the Celeron Tualatin CPUs are capable of clocks reaching 133 MHz FSB. I have mine at home on TUSL2-C board at 133 MHz exactly, but it is pretty much unstable during hot summer days

Comment

Also the AGP bus, but maybe that could be derived from PCI.
            That IS derived from PCI... It's simply PCI*2. If you use a PLL chip from an AGP based motherboard, then that's covered as well.

Well, this would be pretty perverse, many of the Celeron Tualatin CPUs are capable of clocks reaching 133 MHz FSB.
            My dual 370 board can do 133 natively (Asus CUV4x-DLS)... but it goes up to 166. I usually run it at 148 even tho it can go slightly higher. 166 x 10.5 would be 1.74GHz... that would be some wickedly fast Tualatins. The board also has the option to run the RAM on a 3/4 divider so i won't have to worry about that either, it's only PCI holding me back. I don't recall if i've tried the maximum FSB, but i do remember the board did POST at 1.6 GHz, i think that was 155 FSB i did there.
            Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 07-10-2011, 05:52 AM.
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

I have Celeron 1,4 GHz here, it's 14 multiplier, that would be nice, at 133 MHz it is 1,862 GHz. I cannot go much hugher than that even if the CPU would support it though, this 440BX does not have any RAM divider unfortunately. But still, that would be nice jump over former ol' gaming rid with the Intel i815EP. Some 300-400 MHz more on CPU and extra 256 MB of RAM

Go for it, I am so much curious for this mode :-)

As for my little game with MOSFETs, have to buy butan for my micro blazer first so I can desolder them lol.

ADD// man, I am just repairing another king, some PCCHIPS crap, but with VIA Apollo Pro 266. Damn I can't keep it
              Last edited by Behemot; 07-10-2011, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Okay, then i think i can make you a little jealous. My board supports 4GB (four gigabytes) of SDRAM. On the BX board i used to have 1GB (4x256MB). One of them failed shortly after i got the CUV4X-DLS so i was left with 768MB.

I have 2GB (4x 512) now, mainly because i couldn't find 1GB sticks that are not ECC registered, my board will not take registered memory.

Comment

I know, U told me earlier. Well, I have similar stuff in Server Housing, HP NetServer E800. Pretty much killer for storage and P2P server lol

Comment

Never been into old servers - no AGP... i'll pass.

Comment

Well, I have similar stuff in Server Housing, HP NetServer E800. Pretty much killer for storage and P2P server lol
                      Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                      Never been into old servers - no AGP... i'll pass.
                      Yeah, I have an E800 as well. The lack of AGP really kills it for anything other than a computer to store stuff on. BIOS doesn't offer many options, either. I'm only keeping it for the onboard SCSI. Wouldn't be so bad maybe if I get a matched pair of CPUs for it.

Comment

I got it with a pair of 1GHz PIII's and also DAT72 tape drive :-)

Do you know whether this machine can take the 1,13GHz Coppermines?

Comment

Do you know whether this machine can take the 1,13GHz Coppermines?
                          The Netserver E800?
                          Not sure. According to HP's website, it can only take only Pentium III processors up to 933 MHz. The motherboard's manual (ASUS CUR-DLS) says it's compatible with all of the latest Pentium III Coppermine cores (both 100 MHz and 133 MHz FSB).
                          Personally, I'd go with what the manual says. HP's website isn't always very accurate.

Comment

Fantastic, I did not succeed in finding that manual. To be precies, I tried HP. Well, U know them, if you find it, it's a book for absolute beginner's about everything. If not, you have nothign in hand
                            OH CRAP! U SEE?! This is why I wanted the manual! HP blamed me with only 2 GB memory support and it takes full 4 GB! Awesome.

ADD// well, OK, only stacked memory, but still
                            Last edited by Behemot; 07-13-2011, 04:57 AM.

Comment

The board will take those CPUs. You may have to patch the microcode in the BIOS to get it to boot tho - most retail boards allow you to ignore microcode errors (they are purely cosmetic anyway) but an OEM board may not.

Comment

Back to the BX133 - changed MOSFETs and gave it some poly's, MoBo's posting so far. I have another six SEPC OS-CONs for 4 V, just the amount for swaping liquid electrolytics arround memory and AGP, both running from +3,3 V

Comment

So, all polys and ceramics (under CPU) are there, now comes the tricky part - make it eat Tualatin core

Comment

Just some update - Celeron Tualatin 1,4 GHz currently running at 1,766 GHz

Comment

Grats I guess. Tualatins on this board is nothing new. http://digilander.libero.it/grandecigno/Tua_BX_2.htm The problem with the board is the limited PCI/AGP. CPU speed on these was never a issue when the bottle neck was in PCI/AGP.

Comment

What is maximum safe voltage? I actually don't know the temperature, as usually, PIII did not have any internal probe IIRC. Something reads arround 60 °C but that's too much I think, considering the huge cooler which has maybe arround 40 °C

Comment

Working...
                                        X