EPCOS (TDK) and Cornell Dubilier (CDE) electrolytic capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPCOS (TDK) and Cornell Dubilier (CDE) electrolytic capacitors

Anyone have any opinion or experience with EPCOS (TDK) and Cornell Dubilier Electronics (CDE) electrolytic capacitors?

I was able to find only three posts that seemed more relevant:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...92&postcount=6
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...80&postcount=3
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=cornell

So going by these, looks like CDE is okay, but EPCOS not so much?

Basically I am looking for some larger can caps for an audio circuit: 50V, 4700 uF, to be exact. They will be filtering a *linear* (mains transformer) output, so no high-frequency stress or SMPS or anything like that.

Any comments or suggestions? The only reason I ask is because they are all similarly priced to Nichicon VR and Rubycon USC. I was just curious to try out a non-Japanese brand of capacitors. But since these will be going in another person's amplifier board and not my own stuff, I am also reluctant to try anything new.
    Last edited by momaka; 10-20-2017, 11:37 PM.

Re: EPCOS (TDK) and Cornell Dubilier (CDE) electrolytic capacitors

I've used CDE filter caps for a lot of audio amplifier / receiver restoration projects and they have been excellent. Mostly the SLPX and 380/381/382 series.

Comment

epcos are fine ..have used them before no problems

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
        Basically I am looking for some larger can caps for an audio circuit: 50V, 4700 uF, to be exact. They will be filtering a *linear* (mains transformer) output, so no high-frequency stress or SMPS or anything like that.

Any comments or suggestions? The only reason I ask is because they are all similarly priced to Nichicon VR and Rubycon USC. I was just curious to try out a non-Japanese brand of capacitors. But since these will be going in another person's amplifier board and not my own stuff, I am also reluctant to try anything new.
        Should be fine for that, they won't see much stress in there.

They sometimes tend to fail in some high-power UPS where they are under lot more stress, though that may often be because the UPS itself went bad. It's true that regarding the bulk caps in stand-alone Smart-UPS or Back-UPS, I have not yet seen them bad, even if they were some 20yo models. APC was using/uses whole lot of different brands in those positions, including Vishay, EPCOS, CDE, IC, Samsung…
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info fellas.

In the end, though, I went with Rubycon - not because I am more biased towards the Japanese brands, but because I found that two of the four caps I want to replace were actually rated for 63V, not 50V. What's worse is that the manufacturer of this amp is using a linear power supply that outputs about 61-62V DC after rectification. Thus, I decided to go with 80-100V -rated caps. As such, the only ones that fit my size constraints were the Rubycons (USC series, IIRC). EPCOS has some cheaper caps, but they were only a tiny bit cheaper. I didn't go with them or their other offerings because they were actually much larger, and I don't think the power supply could accommodate their height.

But I might try EPCOS and CDE for that ThermalTake S850M PSU I have that needs a new primary cap.
          Last edited by momaka; 10-24-2017, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X