Cap replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cap replacement

When you replace caps is there a specific brand or quality you use? Do you use different quality caps in a repair for a customer than you would use in your own equipment?

Re: Cap replacement

there is no need for such games, caps dont cost much.
    you use the brand you can get and the range for the job.

in Europe we mostly use Panasonic,
    in the u.s. there is more use of Nichicon and Chemicon.

this is simply down to availability from distributors.
    (all 3 are good brands)

Comment

Originally posted by freelancenoob View Post
      When you replace caps is there a specific brand or quality you use? Do you use different quality caps in a repair for a customer than you would use in your own equipment?
      Depends on how caps you need
      Depends how hard it being run
      Depends how long you want your repair to last

Panasonic If you want to last
      If you can not find size you need in Panasonic then use Nichicon

For me most of time I use Chemicon and use the other two when I can not find the right size
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

What I meant was if say you typically only use panasonic or nichicon in your own repairs. Typically you would order just those because its a brand you trust. Would you still order the same for a customer repair, or would you use an off brand that you had laying around because it was there and a quick turn around.

Comment

I use Panasonic for all my repair works either for my own or for someone else, I do not want to ruin my works by using no name or know bad brands capacitor.
          I get my from Mouser and DIGIKEY.
          No use to do quick turn around when it will come back in weeks or months later, bad for business and reputation.
          Last edited by budm; 10-23-2017, 09:37 AM.
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
            I use Panasonic for all my repair works either for my own or for someone else, I do not want to ruin my works by using no name or know bad brands capacitor.
            I get my from Mouser and DIGIKEY.
            No use to do quick turn around when it will come back in weeks or months later, bad for business and reputation.

I stopped using Digikey. They held up EEVBLOG's Dave Jones' order because his name was flagged by DHS as "suspicious". I understand Digikey's position in that silliness, but the bureaucratic weasels who create such lists will listen to Digikey long before they'll listen to an individual, and Digikey won't push back against anything unless their bottom line takes a hit.

Feedback signals prevent runaway behaviors. That's true in every system.
            When testing electrolytic catzappers, you should always wear an OSHA approved safety squint.
            - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

i thought it was Farnell that pulled the "terror-list" shit with davy jones?

Comment

LOL, Digikey can officially go into the dustbin of bankruptcy, for me, now.

As far as caps...: I have a pile of old ones, mostly salvaged, that I sorted into a container. I just use what I have.

the only useful information you really need is: Try to avoid cheap chinese. And: you can use any cap-as long as the microfarad rating is the same. If the voltage rating is higher-that is fine(as far as I know). As long as you do not use a lower voltage rating.

I have heard that "Rubycon" was the best some years ago... Funny that almost all the caps I have changed are "Rubycon"...
                Disclaimer: Don't trust a thing I say-I am frequently wrong!!!

I have tons of spare parts, some used, some N.O.S. ham transistors and caps. Message me if you need any parts.

Some of the things I've fixed:
                60" Vizio-bad LED's. iBook G4: Resoldered VCC Plug. Geo Tracker ECU: Swollen / Leaking capacitors. Windows Laptop: Soldered broken LVDS wires. Dryer: Burned contact on temp switch. Oven in R.V.: Bad contacts in relays-Exploded by the looks of them! Samsung Oven: Burned contacts on Relays. MSI Motherboard: BSOD-Swollen capacitors, bad graphics card, Moved SATA Input from SATA 1 to SATA 2 plug

Comment

@STJ
                  There was another case of 'Terror-List Terror' for David Jones...
                  But this time it wasn't him...

Originally posted by GeorgeBlitz View Post
                  I stopped using Digikey. They held up EEVBLOG's Dave Jones' order because his name was flagged by DHS as "suspicious".
                  No, you misunderstood.
                  It wasn't Dave Jones this time.
                  The parts should have been shipped to some manufacturer and the manufacturer was on the List (and had a pretty standard Mexican name according to Dave)...

Originally posted by NeedsMoreFlux View Post
                  the only useful information you really need is: Try to avoid cheap chinese. And: you can use any cap-as long as the microfarad rating is the same. If the voltage rating is higher-that is fine(as far as I know).
                  As long as you do not use a lower voltage rating.
                  NO, just NO.
                  Thats an old legend/fairy tale from 50 Years ago when there was just one type of capacitor.
                  Today that "saying" is just wrong!! So stop telling people that nonsense. Because it can (and will) kill components.

The Microfarad rating (and also the voltage) are not THAT important, depending on the usage case and the size of the caps. If we are talking about 2200uF caps for filtering, there are other values that are more important like ESR and Ripple Current. If you use just any cap, you can kill everything.

You have to look at Datasheets of the Original one and find something that's similar to it...

Buttom Line:
                  Always replace caps with similar types!
                  You MUST NOT EVER replace a Nippon KZG with a KMA or Pana NHG-A and vice versa!
                  Last edited by Stefan Payne; 11-03-2017, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X