Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emerson LF501EM5F won't turn on/stays on standby

Hi all!

I'm new to the forum and I have a TV that is giving me trouble. As the title suggests, I have an Emerson LF501EM5F that I can't seem to turn on but the standby LED is lit when plugged in. I have searched Google and other posts on this forum but to no avail.

I did some basic troubleshooting, however I admit I have limited knowledge: I examined both the power board and main board for any abnormalities such as blown caps or burn marks but both boards are in really good shape.

I don't even know if this is useful but I used the diode setting on my multimeter to try and make sure that the power button was sending a signal to the main board just to try and see if I could eliminate the possibility that it could be the button board or the IR board. If I did it correctly it tested fine. Unfortunately at the time of this writing I do not have a remote for the TV.

I checked the main fuse on the power board with my diode meter and if I did it correctly it is making a proper circuit.

I know that there are other posts on this forum about this product but none of them have the exact problem I am having. I did however try to follow along with some of the troubleshooting but I got a little lost because of the technicality of some of it.

I've seen you guys help out a lot of people on this forum, and I greatly appreciate your help!

Re: Emerson LF501EM5F won't turn on/stays on standby

Searching the model number finds lots of repair kits and repair services in ebay.

I would suspect the eeprom.. Blsst it with a can of upside down duster to freeze it and then plug it in. If it turns on, its the eeprom. If it doesn't, it still may be the eeprom.

https://ebay.us/e1PABn

Comment

I tried it but I only had enough duster for one run. I'll get some more tomorrow and try again. Thanks.
      Last edited by cotstem; 11-17-2018, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
        Searching the model number finds lots of repair kits and repair services in ebay.

I would suspect the eeprom.. Blsst it with a can of upside down duster to freeze it and then plug it in. If it turns on, its the eeprom. If it doesn't, it still may be the eeprom.

https://ebay.us/e1PABn
        I tried your test and nothing happened, what makes you think it is the EEPROM?

Comment

Could be the EEPROM indeed. These are 15$ at SJ, or a new main board. You could freeze the EEPROM with a can of air upside down, then try to turn on the TV. If it turns on, you know what the problem is. I have a 70% success rate using this trick.

Comment

If you have standby voltage and your other voltages are good, then the main board is suspect since it needs to send a pwr_on signal from the main processor. If you can find preprogrammed eeproms for your model, then the eeprom is suspect and should be cheaper than replacing a main board.

I've successfully replaced eeproms on 3 tvs that use that same processor and had standby led and didn't turn on (Element, Emerson, & Haier). Only one turned on with freezing.
            Last edited by neilc6; 11-17-2018, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Thank you guys, I will try that.

Comment

I ended up using a repair service on eBay. I just didn’t trust my own soldering skills. With shipping, the cost was about $65 and it took less than a week.

Comment

Working...
                X