Did Bestec kill my MB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Bestec kill my MB?

I have a 4-year old Emachine T5026 with Bestec ATX-300-12EB3. The first problem was while running it reported that it couldn't read the HD. After replacing the HD, it would not power-on. I have replaced the Bestec PS (which has many bulging Jamicon caps) with a new Seasonic ES300. The 5vsb presents at 5.01. The actual power-on switch is closing across the MB terminals, but the PS-ON green from MB does not go LOW to fire the PS, remaining at a steady 5.01.

The MB does not show any bulging caps. I'm ordering a Blue ESR kit, but none yet. Question #1 is - can I manually pull PS-ON to ground and see if everything will fire up without that damaging the new PS? Would there be any point in doing so? Question #2 is it probable that the Bestec has killed the original HD and the start circuit and/or others, such that caps wouldn't help and I should just chuck the MB?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.

Bojoe

Re: Did Bestec kill my MB?

Chuck the mainboard.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Every DOA that comes in with a BESTEC installed has a failed motherboard.

Comment

Well that sure clears that up!
        Thanks Wizard and bgavin,
        bojoe

Comment

BESTEC is pure merde.

I replace every one I come across, without hesitation.

Comment

had a t5026 myself (w/ 250 watt bestec), ps had ash everywhere inside- one cap had apparently leaked out of the bottom and lit on fire- no wonder my friend had bsods like crazy with it

minus the jamicon caps/fan, everything else was in good quality, but a few apples ruined this barrel

at least it was good for wire/fans
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I had a Worsttec in a 500 mhz HP one day the PC wouldn't power up.

So I replaced the supply.

Just for the heck of it I jumped the green on wire it worked with all voltages in spec I connected it and powered it up on the same mobo it worked fine.

No clue what happened to cause it to go intermittent but I will never use that PSU for anything again.

The funny thing was it had Rubycon and Nichicon caps too bad the design sucked.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

The mobo killer is the Bestec ATX-250 12E. The Bestec ATX-300 12E power supplies that I have seen have a pwm chip in the 5vsb circuit rather than the two transistor configuration. If your power supply has the pwm chip, the mobo might not have been killed. Don't be too hasty to throw that mobo away, and post some pictures of your Bestec.
                Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

good thing i checked the psu BEFORE i powered it on

gave it a 430w agi (re-branded hipro), runs like a champ

after all when your psu= bbq, then you have a problem

btw, mine WAS an atx-250 12e
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    good thing i checked the psu BEFORE i powered it on

gave it a 430w agi (re-branded hipro), runs like a champ

after all when your psu= bbq, then you have a problem

btw, mine WAS an atx-250 12e
                    Think I have read most of the Bestec PSU posts. Have a couple of questions and would appreciate any insights.
                    What are the components on the motherboard the Bestec supplies fry?

Have a Bestec ATX-300-12EB3 Rev: S2. It has the A6351 pwm chip yet still has fried two D915 Intel MBs. The second question is even with the A6351 pwm chip but WITH a few bulging caps will this unit still kill MBs? Also, even with the few slightly bulging caps it will boot the MB and run normally w/o errors but then kills the MB.

Thanks for any responses.

Comment

Originally posted by stp715a View Post
                      Think I have read most of the Bestec PSU posts. Have a couple of questions and would appreciate any insights.
                      What are the components on the motherboard the Bestec supplies fry?

Have a Bestec ATX-300-12EB3 Rev: S2. It has the A6351 pwm chip yet still has fried two D915 Intel MBs. The second question is even with the A6351 pwm chip but WITH a few bulging caps will this unit still kill MBs? Also, even with the few slightly bulging caps it will boot the MB and run normally w/o errors but then kills the MB.

Thanks for any responses.
                      If the caps are bad the ripple coming off the PSU will go through the roof and that can kill just about any MB if it is run long enough in this condition. The PWM on the 5VSB just keeps the rail from going excessively high. The rails can be close enough in voltage spec to boot the system even with bad caps but the high ripple caused by the bad caps no longer filtering the output can damage MB commencements (especially VRMs and MB caps), sometimes this leads to instability and BSODs but not always sometimes the MB will run fine until something is fried. Not to mention the significant reduction or loss of capacitance of failed caps puts more stress on other components in the PSU leading to excessive heat and component failure within the PSU.

Bottom line: You should never run a PSU that has bad caps in it. Once you know there are bad caps in a PSU either recap it or replace it.

Also just for future reference it is recommended to start a new thread (referencing old ones using a link if necessary) rather than digging up and posting in a 3 year old thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X