Another Goofy Sleeper System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Goofy Sleeper System

I bought this case new 20-something years ago back in the 90's. It was bought for a client, had a system in it and sold. It had a P3B-F in it originally (slot-1 motherboard incase you didn't know). A couple years after, I took it back in trade on a newer system, and just kept the case. Horizontal mount desktop style ATX cases weren't easy to find back then, and even harder to find now....and being ancient looking beige, hmmmm.....sleeper build! The board is already fitted....I had to take the dremel to it to make it fit....what fun would a build be if I didn't get to play machine shop with the case!

More to come!
    Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Another Goofy Sleeper System

pardon me for making this "tourist" post, but i've never seen a US power socket before and the row of power sockets in the background looks like a row of smileys. i can see why some would love going to work. cuz seeing the power sockets at work, makes them smile! lol! so people, spread the joy to all! so thats all for my late night evangelical work. its bedtime, night...

Comment

... except the standard NEMA5-15 grounded outlet looks like a unhappy screaming outlet with the rounded portion of the grounding hole is on the "top" nearer to the line pins, and it's squared off on the bottom.

I think it doesn't meet code if someone makes the ground pin round or a square, it must be a half rounded square with the rounded side on top...

Comment

I know what's going in there... but I'm not one to steal thunder, so I'll shut up .

It's going to be good... better than my Desktop ATX project from years ago:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ghlight=dp35dp

Sadly I don't have it anymore... gave it to a buddy.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I popped the baycovers off the 5.25 bays for the pic, just for the teaser shot.... The rear corner and memory are slightly visible.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Looking at the RAM postion I already smell a server board, and it might be one of Topcat's favourite boards
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

^
              Close. More of a workstation board (Supermicro X8DAL-i). It came from a recycler source of mine for peanuts (trade caps usually). It came with the heatsinks and a pair of quadcore 2.26GHz e5520's. There's most certainly faster CPU's...I'm just using what's on-hand. I did have to order some memory though....but PC3-10600R isn't expensive.

I'm kind of short on GPU's right now, so I'll run this initially with a 9800GT.....I'm out of the old trusty quadro FX4800/5800's. Fitment was tight, especially around the 5.25" cage. Less than 1/8" clearance from the back end of anything in the bay....but it cleared! The floppy will be removed....the board has no floppy or IDE controller. I did manage to scare up a beige card reader (wow, those aren't easy to find either), which will fill the 3.5" bay. I'm missing one of the 3.5" bay covers, so something has to go in there. The 5.25 bays will hold HDD's. The trays are Supermicro 5.25 bay fillers that have HDD mounts. The single HDD mount that came with the case will no longer work with this longer board, so the SM trays save the day, and will allow me to run a SAS RAID.

More to come as I toil with this one....its a low-priority build.
              Attached Files
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Good minds think alike, TC! As of three weeks ago, I pulled out my old AOpen case from the early 2000’s when Windows XP was the thing. Also a boring beige and I was doing a sleeper build too with a new Ryzen system.
                Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

^
                  Feel free to post pics......

This post created from the above with linux live....I wanted to test things before going any further....so far so good!
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Beige card reader came....the color match was a bit off....but it'll do.

I still need to do some cable tidying and get a better GPU for it....but its all but done.

Now, here's where it gets fun! While working with this case (Procase), my brain tripped a memory that I had another one of these in full tower form. In a dark dirty corner in the attic, I was right! I built this circa 1996 and decommissioned it in 2001. It's been in the attic since. Unique piece of my personal history from back in my gaming days.

I've got something cookin' for this one...
                    Attached Files
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Working...