old gateway bro essential help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old gateway bro essential help

I'm not sure if this is the right area but here I go. I have a flex atx style board that is part of a gateway flex atx based computer. Of course it has blotted leaking caps I guess that is normal for these little monsters. Anyway I would like to know if recapping this board might fix the squiggle/flicker of the video out of this board built in video. I used another known good power supply to test if the power supply was also to blame and it had the same results. I am doing this for personal experiance and hopefully to gain another working computer for my collection. Oh ya the computer work fine except for the video issue. Thanks for any help in advanced.

Re: old gateway bro essential help

Well, if the caps are leaking, I'd assume that it would fix the onboard video, yes.

What brand are the capacitors?
    You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
    Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply a very nice change for me. As for what caps they are I'll give what details I can see. They are green in color and have the name "Chhsi". At least that's what it look like at least.

Comment

...Ouch!

Chhsi are a known poor-quality brand, and it's sad to see Gateway go downhill like that. I'd say they're certainly the problem.
        You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.

Comment

Great! and not so great. Anyway, I should replace all of them even if they don't show signs of bloat or bleed?

Comment

I'd replace all the Chhsi's, yeah. What aren't bad yet will be eventually. Use Rubycon, Matsushita/Panasonic, Nichicon (not HM/HN series though), Nippon Chemicon, United Chemicon, or perhaps Sanyo as replacements. Try to find replacement caps with the same specifications as those you remove. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask! You won't get me though - I've never recapped anything, just hung around long enough to diagnose the problem, but not to fix it.

Comment

thanks for all the help. This should be fun. Should I post the caps size value etc for this board/computer somewhere on the forum for future reference for others who may need it?

Comment

its probably an MSI board. can you get some pics?

check the FAQ section for info about cap replacement and come back with any questions. i am sure you will be successful.

post the cap values and what you used to replace in this thread when you are done.
                capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Here is the list of caps on this board including there dimensions. This include caps that are below 1000uf and in some posting are said to not need replacement. Is this true?

Dia. (mm) Height (mm)
                  4 - 2700uf 6.3v Jackcon 10 22
                  2 - 1500uf 10v Chhsi 10 23
                  3 - 1000uf 6.3v Chhsi 8 15
                  5 - 470uf 10v Chhsi 6.5 13
                  2 - 470uf 16v Chhsi 8 12

Comment

I would replace the lower values, too. I've seen 470's and even 330's fail regularly. Also replace those Jackcons.
                    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Working...
                    X