FIC VA-503+ Recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIC VA-503+ Recap

Just spent a nerve wracking 2 hours with my old VA-503+ replacing all caps bigger than 1000uf as well as some tiny 10uf 25v caps. Used Panasonic FM for the multitude of 1500uf 6.3v, and Chemicon KY for the 1000uf. Panasonic FC's replaced the tiny ones. Some of the 1500's were a tight fit (board had 8mm caps), but most of them went in as most locations were screened for 10mm.

There were a couple times the iron slipped and made me worry a trace had been nuked, but the job went ok. Tested it a few minutes ago with an old ISA vid card - seems to be a total success

However, there is still a cap missing FIC didn't add at the factory. It's located between the AGP slot and first PCI slot - looks to be ready for another 1000uf cap. Just wondering if anyone knows - did any of these boards come from the factory with that cap in place?

Will get some pics later today of the recapped board and some of the caps that got replaced (IQ and SI branded). None were bulging, but the board has been the least stable of any I have ever owned so I did them on general suspicion.

Re: FIC VA-503+ Recap

Here are the pics:

The Leaning Towers of Panasonic are where I had to shoehorn 10mm caps into 8mm locations. Three of them in all - the third is right next to the jumpers, and I had to bend the CPU retention lever slightly to get it to fit well. The tiny FC's are just visible in the bottom right corner. The other attached pic shows where the missing cap is.
    Attached Files

Comment

I just have to be the one to ask... was it really worth it?
      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

lol - I'll answer that when I find out if the board still corrupts hard drives

Comment

I just mean... its an old board... it's got SIMM slots for gad's sakes. Seems like it wouldn't be worth the caps/time.
          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Hehe - trust me, if I didn't need a working socket 7 board upstairs I wouldn't have bothered with it. I don't think I've even used those SIMM slots as long as I've had it.

When I last used it as part of my main system way back in the latter days of 1999, I had it running a K6-2 400 overclocked to 504. The 112 MHz fsb setting was actually somewhat stable back then. It always had trouble with the IDE interface, but was usually stable most of the time. Incidentally, the IDE troubles (it corrupts data in DMA mode) are what got me replacing those two little caps - they're right next to the IDE slots.

I guess I recapped it mostly for nostalgia's sake - it was the very first computer component I ever bought - had a 386SX 33 before it.

Comment

Originally posted by Oklahoma Wolf
              However, there is still a cap missing FIC didn't add at the factory. It's located between the AGP slot and first PCI slot - looks to be ready for another 1000uf cap. Just wondering if anyone knows - did any of these boards come from the factory with that cap in place?

I have a FIC VA-503+ v1.2a and it does not have the "AGP Cap" just like your motherboard.

Further investigation leads me to the conclusion that FIC didn't add them at factory.

Useful links with pictures of the board:

http://jmr.hardware.free.fr/ficva503.htm

http://www.fic.com.tw/product/mother...cy&model_id=19

I hope that will help you!
              Regards,
              Mikeluz

Comment

Thanks

So far so good - I have the board running Win2k on an old Fujitsu 4.3gb drive in full UDMA 33 mode, and it hasn't corrupted anything yet. Will try a faster hard drive soon and see if it holds up.

Comment

Thanks

So far so good - I have the board running Win2k on an old Fujitsu 4.3gb drive in full UDMA 33 mode, and it hasn't corrupted anything yet. Will try a faster hard drive soon and see if it holds up.
                  Good, I'm glad to know that

1-By the way, my motherboard does not have (yet) bad caps, but I'm still considering replacing caps for bigger ones. I suppose that bigger ones might increase stability?

I've a:
                  FIC VA503+ v1.2A
                  AMD K6-2 400 (CXT core)
                  1x256MB Infineon PC133 CL3-3-3@PC100 CL 2-2-2
                  ELSA GF2MX AGP on AGP (duh)
                  Realtek PCI LAN card (RTL8139) on PCI#2
                  SB128PCI (model CT4810) on PCI#3
                  WD1200JB (yes, that's an abuse -- 120GB/8MB/7200rpm)
                  LG52x32x52

It's my old "silent PC"; WD1200JB is nearly inaudible, 300W generic no brand ATX PSU is "fan quiet modded by a termistor", very quiet, and CPU fan...well it's the noisiest component but I have an quieter replacement at another location

I'm running XP and W98SE

I've an AMD K6-2 400 CPU (CXT core, that I suppose its very good overclocker). I've got it @ 4x100=400MHz/2.2V.

Tried 4x112=448MHz@2,4V (I don't want to go above +10% default Vcore). @ 4x112=448MHz@2,4V the computer only starts reliable if I disable the onboard L2 cache, so I give up 112MHz setting.

Tried 4.5x100=450MHz/2.4V but BSOD sometimes on XP, so I quess I'm stucked with 400MHz...

2- By the way, can you connect 2 USB devices draining about 600mA on the 2 USB ports? In W98SE I can do it, but on XP I only can do that in a certain order, e.g., 1st the 100mA part, then the 500mA part. On the reverse order (1st 500mA part then 100mA part) the second device won't work. I guess that XP when I 1st connect the 500mA part "recognizes" that there is no more power on the 500mA hub and "prevents" any more connecting devices to be recognized? On W98SE that does not happens, so i'll assume that XP is smarter and prevents "overcurrent" of the USB hub?

Kind regards,
                  Mikeluz

P.S: I understand your "nostalgia thing" I'm nostalgic also: 386SX16@20; P60@66MHz;P100@133, etc, etc

Comment

I don't know that there would be too much point to recapping higher values onto this board - K6's aren't that demanding. I think just putting good caps on there makes a big difference. Of course, I haven't tried pushing that K6-2 400 back to 504 yet using the 112 fsb setting either. It's running a K6-2 300 right now, but I still have the other chip.

I never used the USB ports that often on this board to know if it is affected as yours is. BTW - mine's a 1.1a - I was supposed to get a 1.1b, I asked the store for that revision specifically, and they told me it was. When I bought it and discovered it was a 1.1a, they wouldn't take it back. Thankfully that store is long out of business thanks to ripping off too many customers.

I also had to solder the ATX connector to it - didn't come with it.

Comment

I don't know that there would be too much point to recapping higher values onto this board - K6's aren't that demanding. I think just putting good caps on there makes a big difference. Of course, I haven't tried pushing that K6-2 400 back to 504 yet using the 112 fsb setting either. It's running a K6-2 300 right now, but I still have the other chip.

I never used the USB ports that often on this board to know if it is affected as yours is. BTW - mine's a 1.1a - I was supposed to get a 1.1b, I asked the store for that revision specifically, and they told me it was. When I bought it and discovered it was a 1.1a, they wouldn't take it back. Thankfully that store is long out of business thanks to ripping off too many customers.

I also had to solder the ATX connector to it - didn't come with it.
                      1-yet

2-Well done for the store! Honesty is the best policy!

3-I came across some threads about modding/adding ATX connector to AT mobos. I think I saw one namely on FIC 503+ webpage under the FAQ section.

4-I think that you could flash your BIOS with v1.2a BIOS (I think I saw a thread abou it).

I found this (one) thread when I'm looking for tecniques to "unsolder/desolder" (?) VA503+ BIOS chip (don't know the exact word).

That way, if I can unsolder the BIOS chip I will put a socket to socket (duh) the BIOS chip.

Then, case I flash the BIOS wrong, I'll take BIOS chip off and replace it with a "good" BIOS chip.

Cheers!
                      Last edited by Mikeluz; 02-16-2006, 08:41 AM.

Comment

I've been using 1.2a BIOS releases for years on my board - it's running JE4333 right now I believe. The ATX connector was a pain - I had to desolder it from another old board and then solder it to the FIC with my old 45W iron. Took forever to do it with that iron. Didn't have the borrowed 60W for that job.

Comment

I've been using 1.2a BIOS releases for years on my board - it's running JE4333 right now I believe. The ATX connector was a pain - I had to desolder it from another old board and then solder it to the FIC with my old 45W iron. Took forever to do it with that iron. Didn't have the borrowed 60W for that job.
                          Well done! I've a friend of mine that possibly want to know how to do that, on his 1.1a revision 503+

Do you have an idea how to desolder the BIOS chip? I'm afraid of damaging both the motherboar and the BIOS chip itself? Any technique that came across your mind?

Kind regards!

Comment

Can't really help much there - when I've had to do such things, I usually use a nice hot iron and go at it with the Soldaplullt (my best solder sucker) and a steady hand. When I get most of the solder off, I then gently pry against the chip on the other side with a small screwdriver or pull gently on it with my IC extractor (when I can find it) while touching the iron quickly to each joint in turn from one end of the chip to the other to get it fully out.

Then, I finish desoldering all the holes but one that I put new solder in - that one hole lets me put the new chip in and get it to stay in place while I solder the other legs. Finally, I finish up by reflowing that one joint with more new solder to be sure it's good.

Not sure why you'd want to do this on the 503+ though - at one point, I was flashing the bios on almost a weekly basis. Never had a problem with it.

Some advice to your friend - rather than use an old board like I did for the ATX connector, grab a new 20 pin dual row Molex Mini-fit Jr. connector from Digikey. Desoldering that connector was a real pain. I wasn't too worried about damaging the board I got mine from - it's one of those Cyrix Media GX abominations.

Comment

Not sure why you'd want to do this on the 503+ though - at one point, I was flashing the bios on almost a weekly basis. Never had a problem with it.
                              Thank you for your response!

Probably I won't mess with the BIOS chip. I might damage the mobo and the BIOS chip. I was thinking about that mod, to swap BIOS chips, in case I have a corrupted BIOS while I'm flashing it, but, I guess I won't flash the 503+ anymore (have the latest JE4333 BIOS code), so I will just leave it alone.

kind regards

Comment

Hehe - 4333 seems to be a pretty good BIOS, so I'll probably stick to it too

Comment

Hehe - 4333 seems to be a pretty good BIOS, so I'll probably stick to it too
                                  Well I remember why I want to reflash the JE4333 BIOS I want to see if on early BIOS versions the following items will function correctly (or on another words, these are my "minor" problems):

1 - On W98SE if I enter the mobo into "Standby mode" (via Shutdown menu > Standby), it won't resume to desktop if I press the keyboard (event#1) neither if I move the mouse(event#2), but on XP any of those events (#1 or #2) will resume the VA-503+ from Standby.

On W98SE the only way to "resume" from Standy is by pressing the Soft_Off_(ATX PSU)_Power_Button, but althought I select the "Delay4Sec" on BIOS this procedure "resume" the mobo to shutdown it

Did you notice this "strange" behavior on your motherboard, on any of your current OS's?

2 - I can't manage to get the "RTC alarm resume" to work! Did you tried it out? It won't Power Up the motherboard, althought I'm using a brand new 350W ATX PSU. I tried with the accurate date and time I would like the mobo to Power Up, several tries, but it seems to be a "no go" for this item

These are my minor issues on this board, but the 2nd one is the more annoying one because it might be handy sometimes (since I don't use the Standby feature, issue #1 is not a really problem)

Kind regards,
                                  Mikeluz
                                  Last edited by Mikeluz; 02-17-2006, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I never got the board to resume from standby properly - IIRC it turned out to be some flaw with the MVP3 chipset itself, so I just gave up on it. I never got mine to behave with wake on lan either... the ATX connector was a fairly recent addition, so I haven't really had time to troubleshoot it.

Comment

I never got the board to resume from standby properly - IIRC it turned out to be some flaw with the MVP3 chipset itself, so I just gave up on it. I never got mine to behave with wake on lan either... the ATX connector was a fairly recent addition, so I haven't really had time to troubleshoot it.
                                      Thanks for the answer Between I'll post some more doubts on the alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic Newsgroup

Kind regards!
                                      Mikeluz

Comment

I never got to test the board as much as I'd liked, as my little sister had a computer crisis and the FIC was pressed into service rather short notice, but the hard drive corruption appears to be history on this board. Or at least, not as bad. The board is also more stable with my two PC133 Spectek 64MB DIMM's than it has been for a long time. No overclocking has been tried yet.

I think I'll call this a complete success

Comment

Working...
                                        X