• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netvista OEM PIII motherboard...

IBM Netvista PIII OEM motherboard
    Fully integrated Intel 810E Chipset
    2257-84A

Well it's certainly been a busy time here lately, at this rate I'll need to resupply my stock of capacitors, latest acquisition has been a complete IBM Netvista Mini-Tower system based on an integrated Intel 810E chipset & Intel Celeron 1000Mhz circa H2 2001, it's symptoms include rebooting and auto-power downs (amongst others) SHAME IBM... SHAME!!!

Upon closer inspection, I noted an excessive number of bloated & discolored YEC capacitors, Chhsi variants are also present (in a stand-off fashion) but only represent the sub 500uF components, currently the butcher's Bill stands at...

2 x 3900uF 6.3v (peculiar size methinks!)
    6 x 2200uF 6.3v
    2 x 1500uF 6.3v
    3 x 1000uF 6.3v (just because they're YEC)

Below I've included pictures of the bloated & crusty (read as NASTY) YEC's
    Attached Files
    Viva LA Retro!

Re: Netvista OEM PIII motherboard...

YECs can bulge and fail without ever having been powered up - in fact, I've seen bulged YEC in unopened packs. Wonder how it got past IBM's much-vaunted vendor-qualification processes - probably wouldn't have happened at the old IBM. But with mostly managers and IT consultants being the composition of the new IBM, I'm not too surprised that they were forced to sell off their desktop and mobile businesses to Lenovo.

Comment

I can see why they had to sell just by looking at those pictures. That's a major blow to the later IBMs, in my opinion...
      You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
      Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

looks just like the "People PC" I fixed up and sold a ways back... man that one was easy to fix...
        Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Yeah, my collection of (repaired) pre-loved PC's & components is ever on the increase, only the 3900uF capacitors will be holding this job off completion

I suppose I could sell it, but being a unrepentant horder... I'll find an excuse to keep it around
          Viva LA Retro!

Comment

I have a similar IBM board - with i815. They mixed Nichicons with Teapos and even Chhsi

Comment

I'd love to get a hold of one of those IBM machines, recapped, clean install and off to my parents.. they'd love it.
              Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow
                I have a similar IBM board - with i815. They mixed Nichicons with Teapos and even Chhsi
                LMAO well your board certainly faired better than my variant, I would've prefered the Nichicons (or Teapos) to these filthy YEC's

Originally posted by MD Willington
                I'd love to get a hold of one of those IBM machines, recapped, clean install and off to my parents.. they'd love it.
                Yeah they definitely have an attractive looking case, this one even came with an internal 56K modem, though I'm not too fond of the propriety designed PSU, I went to plug it in and ZAP! the darn thing tripped the circuit breakers... no obvious internal damage, however I scrapped it for the Nichicon PM series & Rubycon capacitors

Long & the short of it, I'll now have to locate/modify a PSU if I still wish to use this blue/black Netvista case
                Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Final Pro300A_AFP completion

Well after locating some 3900uF's I finally finished this IBM Pro300A_AFP's long overdue recap & with a modded OEM 200w PSU plus an additional HDD cooling fan (Vertical HDD's is a bad idea IMHO) the job was complete, now what to do with yet another surplus PC? that's another story

Components I eventually settled on...

2 x 3900uF 6.3v Low ESR Panasonics
                  6 x 2200uF 6.3v GC SamXon's
                  2 x 1500uF 10v GC SamXon's
                  3 x 1000uF 10v IrH (Unknown series)
                  Attached Files
                  Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Working...
                  X