need a roll of desoldering braid..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need a roll of desoldering braid..

I'm running out. I need a new roll of desoldering braid. The braid I have is made by soder-wick with rosin size #2 50-2-25. It does alright, takes a bit of effort to get the solder on to the braid, I was wondering if there are any better ones that can attract solder better.

Or maybe I'm doing something wrong, anyways I was wondering what you guys use or have any tips for me?

Re: need a roll of desoldering braid..

I usually add a drop of liquid flux on the braid on both sides or on the side that's going to be in contact with the stuff i want to desolder.
    Then I put some solder on the solder iron tip and put the solder tip in contact with the braid on the side that's not in contact with the soldered stuff.
    The bit of solder on the tip and the flux help transfer heat better from the tip to the wick, and the flux helps with the oxides on the soldered stuff.

As for specific solder wicks, I get whatever's cheapest, I don't use it often enough to buy in volume.

Comment

I say avoid the stuff on dealxtreme. It's usually fluxless. I've used nice thick wick before (7mm or so) and don't want to go back - costs a bit more, but it's excellent for getting bigger semis off a board.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
        I say avoid the stuff on dealxtreme.
        +1

Especially the stuff they sell branded Goot - it must be counterfeit, doesn't work like the last of my (presumably genuine) Goot bought from local supplier Jaycar
        better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
          +1

Especially the stuff they sell branded Goot - it must be counterfeit, doesn't work like the last of my (presumably genuine) Goot bought from local supplier Jaycar
          That was the last stuff I bought, didn't work. So, yeah, I'm avoiding it in future.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Solder on the iron won't do anything. The braid immediately strips all solder off the iron. Flux on the braid is what makes it work. Braid is nice but I've fluxed wire cut from bad power supplies as DIY braid.
            sig files are for morons

Comment

any purpose to no clean or rosin activated?

Comment

Avoid this wick from China:

Bought a roll for next to nothing... It is fluxed, but the copper strands are packed too tightly and flattened. The stuff won't absorb anything.

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
                any purpose to no clean or rosin activated?
                Rosin Activated or Rosin Mildly Activated flux is stronger than no clean flux but they need to be cleaned off afterwards. It's up to you.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

This is what I bought last and it works better than other braid I have tried so far.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...yq6Z7bCCqBk%3d

Comment

Doesn't Chemtronics still give out samples?

Comment

Working...
                    X