Shuttle SK4511 bad caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shuttle SK4511 bad caps

I certainly hope I have the motherboard number correct, it's been a real bear to try to figure anything about my Shuttle KPC K45 barebones system.

I run this little box as a windows home server and it just up and quit posting on Monday night.

Close examination of the mobo reveals that one capacitor has blown out the top and another has a bulged top.

I'm trying to find good replacements for these and want to be 100% sure I'm getting the right components. Unfortunately it's been many years since I completed my electronics engineering associates degree, and it's mostly left me.

These capacitors appear to be OST manufactured, on is marked as such:

OST 6.3v 1800uf
    RLZ 105c O734

the other is marked as such:

OST 6.3v 1800uf
    RLZ 105c O736

Can anyone point me at the right components to replace these with? I'm actually excited at fixing my own motherboard, saving a huge amount of $$ and regaining that functionality that is missing, and it's just plain cool to do at least some light electronics work again.

Thanks!

Re: Shuttle SK4511 bad caps

Hi and welcome to badcaps.net!

Rubycon MBZ/MCZ are generally fine for motherboards. They are available here at badcaps.net. Panasonic FJ and FL and Sanyo WG are also fine, but they are much harder to get hold of. Also, don't just replace the busted one(s) as OST will often fail without showing any visible signs. Replace anything from 470uF upward, even if it isn't bulging.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I've never heard of OST RLZ series.
      Sure that's right?
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

iirc thats supposed to be on par with mbz.that is if you can believe in ost specs.
        i just poly these little cap baker boxes.
        post pics of this board and we will look at it.

Comment

Didn't think of that, kc8adu, poly-modding would be a good idea for a SFF computer as it would get hot in there. Oh, and aren't RLX supposed to be the OST equivilant to ruby MBZ?
          Last edited by c_hegge; 11-24-2009, 11:44 PM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Yes... But these are apparently RLZ which could be anything for specs.
            Common mobo OSTs approximate equivalents...
            RLA ~ Rubycon MCZ
            RLX ~ Rubycon MBZ
            RLS ~ Rubycon ZL
            RLK ~ Nichicon HE or Chemicon KY

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Thanks for all the great replies first off!

I can confirm they are marked as RLZ on the caps themselves.

I've got a new camera on it's way (x-mas present for the wife) that is supposed to have a great macro mode on it, as soon as it gets here I'll snap some pictures and post them up.

Comment

OK, as promised... here's some pictures, finally.
                Attached Files

Comment

Yup, that's a Z alright.
                  2007 date code too and OST doesn't even have a data sheet out.

They are being used in Vcore and RAM too so I would use higher grades like:
                  Rubycon MBZ or MCZ, Panasonic FL or FJ, or Sanyo WG .....
                  or maybe Nichicon HN [with date codes 2006 or newer].

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by Stein411
                    I certainly hope I have the motherboard number correct, it's been a real bear to try to figure anything about my Shuttle KPC K45 barebones system.

I run this little box as a windows home server and it just up and quit posting on Monday night.

Close examination of the mobo reveals that one capacitor has blown out the top and another has a bulged top.

I'm trying to find good replacements for these and want to be 100% sure I'm getting the right components. Unfortunately it's been many years since I completed my electronics engineering associates degree, and it's mostly left me.

These capacitors appear to be OST manufactured, on is marked as such:

OST 6.3v 1800uf
                    RLZ 105c O734

the other is marked as such:

OST 6.3v 1800uf
                    RLZ 105c O736

Can anyone point me at the right components to replace these with? I'm actually excited at fixing my own motherboard, saving a huge amount of $$ and regaining that functionality that is missing, and it's just plain cool to do at least some light electronics work again.

Thanks!
                    I have the same problem as yours on my K45. I found 3 bulged top caps.
                    one OST 10V 1000uF RLP
                    two OST 6.3V 1800uF RLZ
                    Coulnd't find the spec for the RLZ and searching by google with the keyword OST RLZ leads me to this post.
                    Please let me know what do you use to substitute the bad caps.
                    Last edited by walklookseek; 01-12-2010, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I am in the process of recap a SK4511 pc shuttter board. mine have two 1800 6.3V bulged. I bought the caps from here and awaiting to have to mount it. I hope this resolve the problem. Mine turn on but does not go to POS state and nothing come to the screen. I am hoping this bad caps are the problem and when replace have my motherboard working again.

cross finger. I will post the update when done.

Comment

To replace all of the OST 10V 1000uF RLP, OST 6.3V 1800uF RLZ and OST 10V 1500uF RLX caps on the board, I've got these in my Badcaps online store cart:

Rubycon 1800uF 6.3v 8mm MCZ Series (qty 8)
                        Rubycon 1000uF 10v 8mm MCZ Series (qty 4)
                        Rubycon 1500uF 10v 8mm MCZ Series (qty 4)

I'm concerned about ordering the 1500uF 10V in 8mm, as the current caps look wider than that. What have others ordered? Do the other two Rubycon cap parts look right?

Comment

Originally posted by bogolubs
                          To replace all of the OST 10V 1000uF RLP, OST 6.3V 1800uF RLZ and OST 10V 1500uF RLX caps on the board, I've got these in my Badcaps online store cart:

Rubycon 1800uF 6.3v 8mm MCZ Series (qty 8)
                          Rubycon 1000uF 10v 8mm MCZ Series (qty 4)
                          Rubycon 1500uF 10v 8mm MCZ Series (qty 4)

I'm concerned about ordering the 1500uF 10V in 8mm, as the current caps look wider than that. What have others ordered? Do the other two Rubycon cap parts look right?
                          Hi, have you replaced the 10mm OST 1500uf with the MCZ 1500uf 10v 8mm?
                          Any issue?

Comment

I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you really want to stick with 10mm, then use these:
                            https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=40

Comment

Originally posted by sonicdon
                              Hi, have you replaced the 10mm OST 1500uf with the MCZ 1500uf 10v 8mm?
                              Any issue?
                              The 10mm have leads spaced at 5mm.
                              The 8mm have the leads spaced at 3.5mm.
                              Unless the board is double drilled to take either size you will have to bend the leads and you will need room for the caps to sit higher.

Other than it's a little more trouble to mount them, they will work fine.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

I am looking for a quote to repair 3 shuttle computers for our company.

Comment

Originally posted by royv View Post
                                  I am looking for a quote to repair 3 shuttle computers for our company.
                                  Your location in your profile would help. Also you might consider saying what Exactly you have that needs repaired (like a model # etc) and what type of problems they are having.

Comment

Working...
                                  X