Asus VH242H with a white flicker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus VH242H with a white flicker.

So as the title describes I have an ASUS VH242H 24" monitor that has begun to flicker. The initial power up shows a crisp picture and looks fine. After a few minutes you begin to notice the screen flickering, almost looks like horizontal waves scrolling down the screen. It doesn't transform the entire image to white though, it seems like only the dark content of the screen flickers to white. (maybe it's just more noticeable in the dark places because of the color contrast). Its worst in the top left corner of the screen, and almost unnoticeable on the opposite end of the monitor. As the set continues to stay on it grows worse and worse. I pulled it apart looking for bad caps or corrosion on any of my ribbon cables and haven't seen anything visually to suggest a problem. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to start looking. Currently my multimeter is dead (needs new batteries). Once I pick those up I'll start testing but even then I feel like I'm shooting in the dark, without any real idea what could be causing the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

-Thanks

Re: Asus VH242H with a white flicker.

We too are shooting in the dark

Welcome to the forum-
    We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back (in the same orientation) and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...4&d=1280167246

It will be useful if you can say a bit about yourself - skills tools etc

EDiT EDIT

How long have you had this - they have a 3 year warranty in the uk
    Last edited by selldoor; 03-29-2013, 07:26 AM.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I will put up pictures as soon as I can, I still have the entire thing dismantled on my workbench. I've got little experience in these things but I know how to solder, re-flow joints etc. I can use a multimeter well enough to determine if my reading matches what I'm supposed to see. I don't have enough experience in electronics to often venture a guess as to WHY the readings are wrong. As for the warranty, I picked this up off of Ebay a while back, and it was working fine for a while. I'm not sure that it's still under warranty (manufactured January 2010), or even if I could use the warranty as I'm not the original buyer.

Comment

I know some of these are sloppy.. but it's the best I can do with my bad camera and shaky hands. Let me know if you need a close up of anything in particular.
        Attached Files

Comment

So I put the boards back into the monitor and fired it back up to try to troubleshoot a little. The screen only flickers on the dark colors, I can see no problems when I change it to a pure white background. If I have a black background it will flicker a white color, and then if I right click to bring up a menu, everything directly above and below the menu will look fine, while the flicker/distortion happens all around the vertical stripe where ever the menu is.

Comment

Originally posted by rothelen View Post
            So I put the boards back into the monitor and fired it back up to try to troubleshoot a little. The screen only flickers on the dark colors, I can see no problems when I change it to a pure white background. If I have a black background it will flicker a white color, and then if I right click to bring up a menu, everything directly above and below the menu will look fine, while the flicker/distortion happens all around the vertical stripe where ever the menu is.
            That definitely sounds like a mainboard issue. But. You can check the voltages at the connector from the power board to the mainboard. I'm betting they are just fine.
            I think the issue is with the mainboard. You want to check the voltage regulators and the caps first.
            Retiredcaps has an excellent guide on how to check voltage regulators on the mainboard. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22231

Comment

So I'm not sure the format of how this is supposed to be listed, but testing the voltage regulators on the mainboard I came out with this:

regulator markings:
              L281 ------- Line 1
              G1084-33 - Line 2
              Pin 1: 0
              Pin 2: 3.29
              Pin 3: 4.94

Regulator markings:
              210140LA -- Line 1
              9T9030K --- Line 2
              Pin 1: 3.29
              Pin 2: 0
              Pin 3: 1.19

From what I understand the first one is a fixed regulator and seems to be operating correctly. The second one however is interesting... I can't figure out what the part number would be, or what the correct readings should be for this part.

If you look at the photo I posted above, the first regulator is the one on top with the middle tab not connected into the circuit.

Comment

Were you ever able to resolve this? I seem to have the same issue.

Originally posted by rothelen View Post
                So I'm not sure the format of how this is supposed to be listed, but testing the voltage regulators on the mainboard I came out with this:

regulator markings:
                L281 ------- Line 1
                G1084-33 - Line 2
                Pin 1: 0
                Pin 2: 3.29
                Pin 3: 4.94

Regulator markings:
                210140LA -- Line 1
                9T9030K --- Line 2
                Pin 1: 3.29
                Pin 2: 0
                Pin 3: 1.19

From what I understand the first one is a fixed regulator and seems to be operating correctly. The second one however is interesting... I can't figure out what the part number would be, or what the correct readings should be for this part.

If you look at the photo I posted above, the first regulator is the one on top with the middle tab not connected into the circuit.

Comment

Working...
                X