Acer X241W (Power Board Failure)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer X241W (Power Board Failure)

I was also wondering what happened to them - working on replacing the caps. I posted the pics with the originals here if it helps
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16284

Comment

Sonofagun! You're not kidding! I don't believe it. Someone snipped off the parts! That sneaky little guy, tryin' to tell me it worked fine and then all of a sudden the screen went out one day. Riiiight.

Ok, so somebody sniped parts from my inverter board. But why? It's not like it would be possible to reuse the parts with no legs left on them. So it kind of somewhat rules out the possibility of them taking parts from a "bad" board (mine) to make a good board out of another... which would tend to increase the chances of this inverter actually working with the right parts. (?)

Hmmmm.. so... To order or not to order the missing parts, that is the question.

Comment

Originally posted by stevekasian View Post
        Sonofagun! You're not kidding! I don't believe it. Someone snipped off the parts! That sneaky little guy, tryin' to tell me it worked fine and then all of a sudden the screen went out one day. Riiiight.

Ok, so somebody sniped parts from my inverter board. But why? It's not like it would be possible to reuse the parts with no legs left on them. So it kind of somewhat rules out the possibility of them taking parts from a "bad" board (mine) to make a good board out of another... which would tend to increase the chances of this inverter actually working with the right parts. (?)

Hmmmm.. so... To order or not to order the missing parts, that is the question.
        First things first: I've seen this happen from time to time. The monitor fails. Some wannabe tech opens the monitor, sees bulging caps and puts in replacements. Still nothing, so he looks at the inverter and is actually bright enough to see more bulging caps and discover a blown fuse. So he cuts out the bad parts, intending to see if he can find replacements. Either he loses them, doesn't know what to ask for, or is just lazy, so he puts the monitor back together in hopes of finding someone gullible enough to buy it. That's where you came in.

If you Google the part number of this inverter you will find one or more threads where the inverter is discussed. If I recall, the caps are 180uF, probably 35 volt (You WILL double check this!! Not only is my memory bad, it's short.) The caps and a fuse will cost about $5.00 delivered from Digikey.

The missing fuse protects the inverter controller and drivers Q4 and Q5. It is very possible that the fuse blew because of high ripple inducing oscillations as the caps went bad. Check the drivers; if none are shorted, this is a no-brainer.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thank you sir. Found the info and confirmed your memory isn't as bad as you think :-D
          (And luckily, I only paid $12.00 for the thing!)

What series pico fuse would you say those are? I've got lots of options on Digi-Key.

Uuugh... actually, I don't have ANY options on Digi-Key... they are saying they don't stock them. I must be looking in the wrong place... do you think?

As for the caps, i have options. Would you be so kind as to review my options in the attachment below and give me your feedback?

Thanks,
          SK
          Attached Files
          Last edited by stevekasian; 09-09-2011, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Thank you sir. Found the info and confirmed your memory isn't as bad as you think :-D
            (And luckily, I only paid $12.00 for the thing!)

What series pico fuse would you say those are? I've got lots of options on Digi-Key.

Uuugh... actually, I don't have ANY options on Digi-Key... they are saying they don't stock them. I must be looking in the wrong place... do you think?

As for the caps, i have options. Would you be so kind as to review my options in the attachment below and give me your feedback?

Thanks,
            SK
            I'd use the FR series rather than the FC.

What is the current rating of the other fuses - all three should be identical?

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Pay attention to the lead spacing. It is 3.5mm on the board.
              Last edited by azeroid; 09-10-2011, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks azeroid.

Thanks PlainBill... The other fuses are 3A, but i have a feeling I'm not searching them properly on the D-K website. Does it sound plausible they wouldn't carry them at all?

SK

Comment

Thanks azeroid.

Thanks PlainBill... The other fuses are 3A, but i have a feeling I'm not searching them properly on the D-K website. Does it sound plausible they wouldn't carry them at all?

SK
                  No, it's not plausible. Some items are more difficult to identify on DigiKey's website than others. This is one example. The item you want is DigiKey part number F2315-ND, Littlefuse # 0251003.MXL. There are half a dozen equivalent items they carry.

Here's the process I used. This may not help you, but I DO like to brag.

On the opening page, enter fuse in the 'Parts Search' box and click on 'Go'. This brings up a long list of possible matches. Select 'Fuses (23,743 items)'. Click on 'In stock', then 'Apply filters'. That reduces it to a more manageable 4015 items. Next, select '3A', 'Axial', and 'Through Hole', then click on 'Apply filters'. That reduces the number of hits to 14.

And if you look through the list, only two match the color and shape of the original. Since you don't want to buy 1000, that leaves you with one.

PlainBill

Comment

Danke schön, Herr PlainBill!

SK

Comment

Danke schön, Herr PlainBill!

SK
                      Figùrati

PlainBill

Comment

were do i get a another one

Comment

Working...
                        X