Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IBM PC compatible: Who still uses this term?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBM PC compatible: Who still uses this term?

An Analog Devices AD9833 datasheet from 2012 still makes use of the term "IBM PC compatible" which is no longer relevant considering that IBM sold its PC division to Lenovo in 2005.
    Who else is still using this term as of today?
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: IBM PC compatible: Who still uses this term?

No very often unless your browsing on VOGONS and talking about the vintage machines and to what degree of compatibility the software required. I know depending on the manufacturer of the machine some computers failed to run many PC compatible software.
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

I haven't used the term since I sold the service center. That was circa year 2000.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

it's not a big deal anymore because M$ strongarms any potential machine that could run windows. If it could run windows they force that computer maker to sell a copy of windows with it and ensure that it runs properly...

Since it runs windows, there's no longer a "pc compatible" clause for computers. It's now "runs windows"...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
          Since it runs windows, there's no longer a "pc compatible" clause for computers. It's now "runs windows"...
          No, but there's effectively such a clause; you don't tend to see OEMs adopting beige boxes in their PC-based product offerings (e.g., look at the cash registers at your local markets).

Comment

Working...
          X