MX-Linux 19.1 - Freaking Fast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MX-Linux 19.1 - Freaking Fast!

Finally got around to loading this OS to a couple of old boxes.

First, an ASUS P5GV-MX with a 3.2G 32-bit Prescott HT CPU and 4 sticks of 512MB OCZ Dual Channel PC3200 Ram, using the Onboard Intel graphics. Board uses Intel 915 chipset.

Boots and loads really fast, about twice as fast as Linux Mint. Video performance much improved, no stutter. This is on a 24 inch monitor at full resolution, but the youtube window size is smaller.

Threw a couple of messages on startup "microcode 7" went by so fast I couldn't take it in.

Second a Tyan K8WE dual Opteron 940 CPU board using 8GB ECC DDR Ram and GS8400 video. Will have to use the Nvidia Drivers as some stutter, but this board has always underwhelmed. However, it now boots WAY faster than under Mint 17.3.

Lots more messages zoomed by too fast to read.

Problem is I cant seem to find Log File Viewer to see the logs and find out what they say. This distro is an XFCE front end using Debian.

Any ideas on the logs, experience with this distro or comments?
    Last edited by bigbeark; 05-15-2020, 11:17 AM.

Re: MX-Linux 19.1 - Freaking Fast!

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
    Threw a couple of messages on startup "microcode 7" went by so fast I couldn't take it in.
    open a terminal window.

dmesg | grep microcode

To see all messages

dmesg | more
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If you want something potentially faster, just get barebones Debian with XFCE.

Many distros build "on top" of Debian. So if you go straight to the source, you might get faster performance.

On the other hand, distros that build "on top" add some potentially useful features or customizations or performance enhancements from "stock".

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd...64/iso-hybrid/
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

@bigbeark

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=44
        better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          If you want something potentially faster, just get barebones Debian with XFCE.

Many distros build "on top" of Debian. So if you go straight to the source, you might get faster performance.

On the other hand, distros that build "on top" add some potentially useful features or customizations or performance enhancements from "stock".

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd...64/iso-hybrid/
          Thanks so much for this! A whole new world to explore!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            open a terminal window.

dmesg | grep microcode

To see all messages

dmesg | more
            Thanks, retiredcaps. Turns out that the MX manual is in the download and is searchable. Thanks for the proper syntax. Apparently processor 2 microcode 4d has a problem, but the OS does a workaround. Perhaps the CPUs are not a matched pair. I have the latest BIOS. Tyan has a wall around their downloads, ie. you have to register to get the downloads.

I could update the BIOS for the ASUS P5GV-MX which also has a microcode error.
            Last edited by bigbeark; 05-16-2020, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks, pfrcom. I will check out your suggestions. Looks like MX has the better of Ubuntu for now. Plus which the complete install of MX is 5.8GB vs about 11GB for Linux Mint.

Comment

Thanks so much for this! A whole new world to explore!
                When I switched from Windows XP to Lubuntu in 2014, with absolutely no regrets, I tested well over 20 distros. I used

https://distrowatch.com/

to see what is available.

I haven't looked at distrowatch in a while, but I'm surprised to see MX Linux at the top. It sure has come a long way.

If you have high speed Internet and a couple of test computers, I suggest trying the different desktop environments like Xfce, LXQt, KDE, GNOME and MATE.

If you are going to use a linux distro long term, you might consider distros that support the LTS model (Long Term Support). For my needs, Lubuntu LTS has served me over 6 years with no issues whatsoever. I just upgraded all my computers in the house to Lubuntu 20.04 LTS.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Boots and loads really fast, about twice as fast as Linux Mint.
                  Obviously to get faster boot times you should have a SSD. I buy used SSDs between $5 and $10 CAD. These are smaller capacity, but linux doesn't require much. My typical Lubuntu install is less than 4GB disk space.

If you want to use traditional spinning disks, open a terminal window and type

systemd-analyze
                  systemd-analyze blame
                  systemd-analyze critical-chain

The above will tell you what services are being loaded. If you don't use those services, you can delete them to speed up boot time even more.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                  X