LG 65UH5500-UA common problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 65UH5500-UA common problem?

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and have been trying to pick up different tips from the many threads.

I am completely new to this, first time opening a LG set or LED TV for that matter. What made me open the TV is:
    The set initially turned on for a second flashed the LG logo and then turned off. The standby light blinked a few times. So, I figured it was a bad LED. Ended up finding one bad LED but I changed all the strips.

When I put everything back together and turned on the TV a gray bar shows up on the right side. After looking at the ribbon that connects the T-con to the driver board it seems one of the pins is bent/messed up.

Do you think if i just change that ribbon it may work? It is very tough to find just the ribbon connectors.

Thanks for the help!

Can't embed the images for some reason: https://imgur.com/a/WB4mze5
    Last edited by hatinglgrightnow; 05-06-2020, 03:29 PM. Reason: Trying to add images

Re: LG 65UH5500-UA common problem?

Just bought these on eBay incase they would work, can return them if you guys don't think it would...doesn't have the 65UH5500-UA listed but has the other models. Seller said it should work, but is not 100% certain. Only 1 left was worried someone else may buy it and I haven't seen it anywhere else.
    https://imgur.com/a/jNrGKaD

Comment

Looks to me more like a tab bond fault, do a google on the subject.
      I truly hope you prove me wrong!

Def not an easy job even for those more experienced.

As you have already ordered them just try them and see but you could just swap the suspected faulty one with the other good one that you already have to see if the fault goes away.
      Dont use the faulty ribbon cable in case it causes damage to the panel.

Before using the new ribbons check they are identical, pitch distance of the pins is VERY IMPORTANT!

P.S. Your photo file size is probably too large!
      Last edited by notallbad; 05-06-2020, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by notallbad View Post
        Looks to me more like a tab bond fault, do a google on the subject.
        I truly hope you prove me wrong!

Def not an easy job even for those more experienced.

As you have already ordered them just try them and see but you could just swap the suspected faulty one with the other good one that you already have to see if the fault goes away.
        Dont use the faulty ribbon cable in case it causes damage to the panel.

Before using the new ribbons check they are identical, pitch distance of the pins is VERY IMPORTANT!

P.S. Your photo file size is probably too large!
        Ahhhh i really hope it is not a tab bond default, thats no joke. Yeah I was thinking of trying the one that is working on the side that isn't. But just got worried of messing that ribbon up too. Maybe I can try it super carefully.

I was worried about the size of the ribbon on ebay, looked a little shorter than the ones I currently have.

Will change image size for next time.

Thanks!

Comment

You need to be more careful at the panel end more than at the tcon end. Being very careful not to flex the panel cof boards or break the retaining clips.

And be absolutely sure power cable is removed from the tv and any voltages have depleted before connecting/disconnecting the ribbons.

Yh, if the ribbons are too short or too long that could be a problem for permanent use but at least be ok for a temporary measure for testing purposes maybe.

Please do try to get some good photos added direct rather than links to hosting sites as those images generally get lost and for reference purposes doesnt help people much in the future. Also peeps here tend to be much more helpful with photos.

I use my mobile phone to take photos then make a screenshot of the photos.
          Last edited by notallbad; 05-06-2020, 06:40 PM.

Comment

You need to be more careful at the panel end more than at the tcon end. Being very careful not to flex the panel cof boards or break the retaining clips.

And be absolutely sure power cable is removed from the tv and any voltages have depleted before connecting/disconnecting the ribbons.

Yh, if the ribbons are too short or too long that could be a problem for permanent use but at least be ok for a temporary measure for testing purposes maybe.

Please do try to get some good photos added direct rather than links to hosting sites as those images generally get lost and for reference purposes doesnt help people much in the future. Also peeps here tend to be much more helpful with photos.

I use my mobile phone to take photos then make a screenshot of the photos.
            I have been trying to be very careful with the panels that are attached to the glass. When you say power cord are you referring to the ribbon that is on the power board (might not be the power board not sure of the name) or the actual tv plug?

Working on the pictures to edit the original post, thanks!

Comment

Testing to see if original images posted can be attached.
              Attached Files

Comment

yh, the actual tv power plug.

Lift the speaker off and inspect the tab bond to see if you can see any obvious damage and compare to the others. But usually damage is at the panel side which will not be visible until exposed by removing the front case/shell and even then it may not be obvious that the tab is not properly bonded, not advised to check this just yet.

Wonder how the ribbon pin got damaged? Someone attempting testing/repair before perhaps.

Also check the connector it plugs into, both ends in case the ribbon has been switched around but they are both connected the same way up in photo. Do the pins all look straight and even?
                Last edited by notallbad; 05-07-2020, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Wonder if anyoneone else would like to jump in here with there vast knowledge.
                  I'm not sure that one pin being disconnected from the ribbon would cause your problem but could be wrong, possible it depends what signal that one pin has on it?

But swap it over or replace anyway just to see.
                  Last edited by notallbad; 05-07-2020, 01:57 AM.

Comment

I think that bad pin is the problem, looks like it's at the end of the connector where the fault appears on the screen, sometimes you can do surgery on them by trimming off the ends but prolly better to just get a replacement ribbon cable.

Comment

Can you swap the ribbons over. If the fault moves with it then it's a ribbon problem.
                      Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

There is hope for the OP here then, thats good.

But do check the connector pins look to be in good shape and not damaged as the ribbon pin is damaged for some reason yet unknown?

Be absolutely sure to match the ends of the new and old ribbons to confirm pin pitch is identical, probably 0.5mm pitch.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by notallbad; 05-07-2020, 03:06 AM.

Comment

About to repair the led backlight on the same set. I ruined my last 65" by being impatient if I screw this up I can put the ribbons in the mail for you.

That being said, don't jinx me. lol

Comment

yh, the actual tv power plug.

Lift the speaker off and inspect the tab bond to see if you can see any obvious damage and compare to the others. But usually damage is at the panel side which will not be visible until exposed by removing the front case/shell and even then it may not be obvious that the tab is not properly bonded, not advised to check this just yet.

Wonder how the ribbon pin got damaged? Someone attempting testing/repair before perhaps.

Also check the connector it plugs into, both ends in case the ribbon has been switched around but they are both connected the same way up in photo. Do the pins all look straight and even?
                            I might have damaged the ribbon when I tried to connect it back. I had to unplug both of the ribbons from the driver board when I replaced the led strips. And then maybe when I put everything back and plugged the ribbons back into the driver board I might have bent that one? Not sure...

Comment

Hope all goes well!
                              Last edited by notallbad; 05-07-2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
                                Can you swap the ribbons over. If the fault moves with it then it's a ribbon problem.
                                Was worried about messing up the other ribbon, so didn't try it. Maybe I will just have to.

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
                                  About to repair the led backlight on the same set. I ruined my last 65" by being impatient if I screw this up I can put the ribbons in the mail for you.

That being said, don't jinx me. lol
                                  you're going to be fine! if I can do it, you can deffffff do it

overall wasn't too bad i mainly followed shopjimmy's vid

good luck!

Comment

I guess you came across this tv cheap or free, so don't know the history. So its possible the fault was already there before you attempted the led repair.

I have my fingers crossed for you, hoping its just the ribbon.
                                    Last edited by notallbad; 05-07-2020, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Hope all goes well!

Does the panel have to be lifted from the top on these sets or can the casing be lifted away from the panel?

Perhaps start your own thread giving a guide on how to disassembly just in case this guy needs to know how to do it, he is a noob so any guidance will be appreciated, I'm sure. But he only really needs to expose the tabs on the panel.
                                      have to take off the plastic frame and "metal bar" on the bottom of the tv by driver board and then the panel just lifts up, if that makes sense.

Comment

I guess you came across this tv cheap or free, so don't know the history. So its possible the fault was already there before you attempted the led repair.

I have my fingers crossed for you, hoping its just the ribbon.
                                        No bought it retail end of 2017.

Comment

Working...
                                        X