Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another RD workstation build... Socket F Fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yet another RD workstation build... Socket F Fun!

I think I figured out why my westmere system did so poorly. Per the ASUS TweakII tool, the GPU isn't ramping all the way up during the benchmark (only getting to about half speed)... which leads me to think the issue is that I'm only feeding it with a single 6 pin, and instead of throwing an error like EVGA cards, it's limiting itself due to the perceived lack of available power. Once my 6 to 8 adapter comes in (or a cheat and jumper it directly), I'll retest.

So, for whatever, reason, on the test rig, SLI didn't do diddly squat despite being enabled. Although I'll leave that an open issue until the rig is actually built with an activated copy of windows and all my ducks in a row (not just jerry rigged mess like I have now).

---

Ordered more parts today. Mainly, the parts needed to make card reader cables (you'll see later when I actually build it), and the HDDs. Through two Ebay lots, I was able to get 8 147GB 15K SAS drives for about $52 after shipping and tax.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Semi-off topic tangent:

PCIe power adapter came in... no change.

From what I'm reading ASUS Strix cards can be a bit fickle... supposedly obscure BIOS settings can cause it to bottleneck hard. Something is bottlenecking the card; I tried playing with the power optimization settings; such brought up the clockspeed, but not the FPS in novabench.

I've also having some weird mouse and keyboard lag... on par with the crap I see on virtual desktop connecting to work. Something is terribly up here. Worst case, I might play musical cards again to see if the issue follows the card or the workstation. Or at least move the card to the other PCIe 16x slot. Yeah, I'll try that

Edit- moves slots, no change. Still a laggy mess. Might play musical cards later... this sucks.
      Last edited by ratdude747; 04-14-2020, 06:07 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Possibly wrong/corrupted VBIOS. TechPowerUp possibly can save your bacon!
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          Possibly wrong/corrupted VBIOS. TechPowerUp possibly can save your bacon!
          Nope, problem didn't follow the card.

Something with my westmere system is FUBAR... I'll move the discussion to it's thread:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=901476
          sigpic

Comment

Was finally able to run catzilla…

Attached Files
            sigpic

Comment

Single GPU system (the mismatched evga gtx 970 SSC) for comparison (dual low voltage xeon hapertowns):

SLI is indeed working... almost double in the gpu parameters. Yay?
              Attached Files
              sigpic

Comment

Coolers came in yesterday. They were a bit beat up (bent fins, easyish fix), but indeed brand new rebadged cooler master TX3s... with all the accessories. Other than saying "rocketfish" instead of "cooler master", they're the exact same thing as the first revision of the TX3.

Apparently the seller figured it out, and hiked the "sale" price up ($13 -> $19) for the two they still have available. Still a great deal if anybody needs a new TX3 clone and doesn't care about aesthetics:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rocketfish-...72.m2749.l2649

Installed:

This was posted from it... boy genius here manged to temporarily kill one of his bench workstations, and the other is an unstable BSOD-happy mess. Until MS shuts me down for unactivated windows 10, I'm rocking it...
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X