Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epox EP-8KHA+ Recap

Hi guys.

Got this board from a buddy at work who didnt want to bother with replacing the caps. All GSC caps, which I've learned from this board are crap. Don't have any pictures, but I'm in the process of slowly but surely ordering the new caps that I need to get the job done.

I just recently purchased some chemicon 2200uF 16V to replace the leaking GSCs that were there.

This would be my first Mobo recap, but I'm fairly used to soldering as I've replaced DC power jacks on laptops, and soldered in new components on the electronic trainer boards that my college professor uses in the lab.

I'll add some pictures once I charge my camera.

Re: Epox EP-8KHA+ Recap

Welcome to the forums, and good luck with your recap experience

The only real negative for the 8KHA+ is the capacitors fitted (as you've found out), otherwise a great little board!
    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Originally posted by Oreynid
      Hi guys.

Got this board from a buddy at work who didnt want to bother with replacing the caps. All GSC caps, which I've learned from this board are crap. Don't have any pictures, but I'm in the process of slowly but surely ordering the new caps that I need to get the job done.

I just recently purchased some chemicon 2200uF 16V to replace the leaking GSCs that were there.

This would be my first Mobo recap, but I'm fairly used to soldering as I've replaced DC power jacks on laptops, and soldered in new components on the electronic trainer boards that my college professor uses in the lab.

I'll add some pictures once I charge my camera.
      Hi,

What series of chemicon 2200uF 16V you used? May be the size in diameter 12.5mm, because there is no such size caps on 8KHA+...
      My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pope
        Hi,

What series of chemicon 2200uF 16V you used? May be the size in diameter 12.5mm, because there is no such size caps on 8KHA+...
        My apologies. I ordered the chemicon 2200uF 10V caps. The KMG series which I've read here are a good series.

I now just have to wait for me electronic catalogs to arrive, and then purchase a chisel tip for my iron before I will solder in the new caps and have pics.

Comment

Hmmm, KMG is not good. It has 196 milliohm ESR and 760 mA allowed ripple current capability.

I would use caps which are 60 - 80 milliohm at maximum (low ESR) and over 1000 mA ripple current rate. Panasonic fc or Chemicon lxz would be a standard/minimal choice for mobos recapping.

Recommended caps:

2200uF 6.3v 10mm
          2200uF 10v 10mm

ESR: the lower the better
          Permissible ripple current rate/ability: the higher the better
          days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

But if you see the VRM layout of 8kha, there will probably be a chance that KMGs will do. It uses six 2200uf 6.3v caps for VRM output and four 2200 10v caps at input.

Lot of caps in parallel translates to lower ESR, which is good. but keep in mind that KMG are general purpose type capacitor which esr is four times the normally preferred low esr caps like panny FC or chemy LXZ/LXV/LXJ.

Typical pwm circuit on epox motherboard (8kha, 8k3a, 8rda):

(I think I got the pic from one of trodas's thread)

Comment

Hmm, that is interesting. Thanks for the information. I am still awaiting the arrival of a couple electonic catalogs so that I can make my order of the proper caps. I am getting impatient though, so I just might be contacting TopCat about ordering the specific caps I need directly from him instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Oreynid
                Hmm, that is interesting. Thanks for the information. I am still awaiting the arrival of a couple electonic catalogs so that I can make my order of the proper caps. I am getting impatient though, so I just might be contacting TopCat about ordering the specific caps I need directly from him instead.
                thats your best bet.
                takes out the guesswork.

Comment

i think that is better

Comment

Agreed
                    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Update: I havent died, just been very busy with school and work.

I have *finally* received my catalog from digikey, and based on more reading here on the forums, especially in the FAQ area, I think I'll go with the Panasonic FC series. I've also gotten a second identical board from my professor to repair as well.

I'm also watching this thread https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2179 to see which brand of cap comes out on top when the showdown is completed.

The only tool left for me to purchase is a desoldering gun. I've purchased a nice tempurature controlled Madell iron (Hakko 936 clone), and I'm open to suggestions for a decent desoldering gun. I'm leaning towards the Hakko 808 though.

Now, time to save some $$ to order these caps.

Comment

the Panasonic FM are better spec than the FC

you dont need a desoldering gun
                        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I looked at that QK 201a desolder station and it comes with picks. I have to admit there were times when I would have loved to have this. Cursing over hot wick and stupid bulb iron, it sucks.
                          Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X