ECS GeForce6100SM-M V:1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECS GeForce6100SM-M V:1.0

I have on this "bleh" board some OST 6.3v 1800uf RLZ. I like others I believe have not been able to find a datasheet which for someone so indecisive and not very good at choosing caps further overwhelming. Hoping to successfully recap this board and send to a friend as a nice upgrade for him.

I was eyeing these but I really have no idea which direction to go or if these would be sufficient. https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=63

I was reading over this for tips related to these failed caps but like I mention, I have a terrible time at finding caps when I go searching. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8328

Any suggestions? Thx

P.S.- I'm at work is why i'm unable to post any pics but they're identical to what is in those pics on the Shuttle board link if i'm not mistaken. The diameter I measured was 10x25

Re: ECS GeForce6100SM-M V:1.0

First let me say that anything that you buy on badcaps.net will be a decent capacitor. He does not sell crap. As for the caps that will work. The ones that you were wondering about should work, but that is on some conditions. Will they fit? Make sure that they have the clearance to fit. They have 8mm, 10mm, etc. wide capacitors. You can use a 10 mm one where there was a 8mm before as long as there is clearance (both in width and height), and vise versa, but it is usually best to go with the same size that was originally in it. That is something that i can not tell from your post.

when you buy capacitors for motherboards, try to make sure that they are a good brand, that they are rated for up to 105 degrees and are low ESR (which pretty much everything sold here is).

when you do replace them though, if you have say 6 caps that are bulging and 4 that are not of that same size and design, then it i usually best to replace them all of that type, not just the couple that are bad.

Comment

Well first, don't mistake my questioning to be related to quality. I presume Topcat would not sell 'crap' as he seems to have a passion for these things as most of us do, and judging by the size and participation regularly in this community, that sounds like a safe assumption . Secondly, when I questioned as to wether or not they would be sufficient, I was referring to specs. I'm aware that it's best to replace all, and not just a few. I mentioned at the end of the post that my measurements were 10x25, so I would assume the samxon would easily fit. Basically what I'm looking for is reassurance or if possible even certainty that the caps I was looking at, or another recommendation would be equal to or better than the supposed specs of the OST RLZ, since I can not find a data sheet.

Comment

sorry about that, missed the dimensions at the end.. my mistake there..

as long as they are 6.3v 1800uf then they will work. I believe the rubycons are a little better in quality then the samxon, but then again you pay a little more for that extra too. The ones you were looking at will work fine though. The OST i do believe was a crappy brand from what i have read. personally, if you dont mind spending the extra, i would go with these myself..

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=37

but then again, i would be doing it for my own board or someone that i know.. If you are trying to make sure it works with decent caps but want to keep the price down as much as possible, go with the ones that you were looking at, but if you dont mind paying the little extra, i would say go with the ruby's, but either will work.

Comment

So it's safe to assume in this case that the esr and ripple are are equal or better on both the rubycon and samxon even though the dimensions are slightly different?

And being my friend likes to overclock, it would be ideal to go with the better quality rubycon then ey?

Comment

I started thinking about it and thought what about polymer? Hell why not just go all out? The ones for sale here seem more than reasonably priced. The thing is I don't know how to correctly check the voltages at a cap. I've got the volt meter and am bringing a cpu to work tomorrow to try but I don't think i'm doing it correctly. Can anyone shine some light on the job? And second I've never been clear on using polymers to replace lytics. I know you can use a lesser capacitance with no problem but how do you know where to draw the line? I mean you need the capacitance to help maintain stability right? And as long as your cap exceeds the voltage then you don't have to worry of blowing it, but how does one know wether say a 560 would be sufficient in replacing an 1800 for example or if an 820 would be the minimum needed? Or is it just flat out a 'testing' type procedure? Thanks for the help btw

Comment

I have never used poly's so i can not say myself. I can only tell what i have read and willawake said this:

Originally posted by Willawake
              half capacitance is a typical replacement. you can reduce the voltage to that expected in that location on the board. like on vcore out. electrolytics are not available in less than 6.3v but polymers are available in 2.5v or 4v.

otherwise you just compare esr and ripple and use the polymer that provides the best specs preferably exceeding that of the caps already on the board.

typical polymers for vcore applications
              chemicon PSA or PSC
              oscon SEPC
              lots of others
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ight=poly+half

as for the ripple part.. here are the stats..

Rubycons: ...................... ESR ...... Ripple
              1800uF 6.3v 10mm MCZ .....12.5 ..... 2460
              1800uF 6.3v 08mm MCZ......12 ........ 2350

Samxon:
              1800uF 6.3v 08mm GC.........12 ........ 2220

The rule of thumb for ripple is that the lower the ESR, the higher the ripple for standard capacitors, but that does differ from brand to brand on the amount.. One of the reasons that i would have stuck with the Ruby's is that i have had good luck with them so far and you very rarely see one go bad.. Not to say that Samxon is not a good brand, it is, i just have not used them before. From what i heard, the poly's do have a longer life span and are a better cap, but if you are looking at ripple, low esr poly caps usually have higher ripple then standard low esr caps.

If i am wrong, someone please correct me..
              Last edited by kaniki; 02-05-2010, 07:24 PM.

Comment

I believe you use about half the capacitance in the CPU VRM but keep it the same elsewhere. Also, the voltage on the VRM in has to be at least 16v, since it gets 12v, but for the VRM out, 2.5v should be ok. I have used them a few times and not had problems.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Well I decided to test the board last night and see if it would even power on (got it free in someone's donations of junk) And it did. 3 bulging of these OST, so i set out to test the caps along the cpu (I presume this is what you refer to as the 'vrm out' and those large caps closer to the I/O shield are the 16v you refer to as the 'vrm in'?) They test 1.3 roughly all along the vrm. I swipe some 2.5v 820uf polymers off a 775 board that's no good (lightning) and put them on the ECS board at work this morning. it's been running like a champ, vcore stable consistantly at 1.31 and any benches and the little bit of time i ran prime95 and then some 3d testing off a livecd of linux mint (I know not a heavy load but i wanted to just try it) and i've not had a single problem. I guess that's the safe queue to order some polymers and recap all along the cpu, and then I'll use the rubycon 1800s to replace other OST on the board. Thanks again for the help!

BTW I do have one more question. There is a spot for another capacitor in this vrm out where there is no cap and never was. I've read in a couple of threads where a user just 'filled the slots'. Is there any gain, or safety risk as far as hardware is concerned, if adding one more cap in this empty spot?

Comment

I have a question about this mobo that's not caps related: In the BIOS are you able to set the Fast A20 Gate to Fast mode? Every time I try it with mine, it gets reset to Normal mode. I haven't recapped the whole thing yet, only the memory's voltage regulator.

Comment

sorry, i do not know the answer to if there is any benefit to filling that space in. but I do know that some times, there are spaces for stuff that the board has potential for, but is not there so adding the extra cap for it in a case like that would just be pointless. I personally would not put any in if there is not any there from the factory because if it was actually needed, there would be one there already.

Comment

Oops. My A20 gate problem was with a different ECS mobo, the NForce3A v. 1.0A, and it was solved by flashing it with the BIOS for a BioStar NF325-A7.

Comment

Working...
                        X