Testament to GIGABYTE reliability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testament to GIGABYTE reliability

I've had the Gigabyte GA-7VAX mobo for some time now in a workstation machine, and recently discovered the fact that several caps were dying.

Being the techie I am, I swapped out the mobo with another -7VAX and it was all good.

Upon further inspection of the hurting motherboard, I made a shocking discovery: 2 caps had bulged (all 6.3v 3300uF Choyo, they're on the cap-blacklist), but 2 others had failed. Quite spectacularily. Both had pushed their rubber caps clean out with electrolyte flowing down the board, and one was only hanging on by a lead. Here's the kicker: THE BOARD STILL BOOTS! It also passed all the PC-Doctor tests I threw at it. I was floored.

I have every intention of replacing these 4 caps with new ones, as soon as I get time and supplies.

WOW!
    Meatball, noun:
    --a ball of minced meat that is seasoned and cooked
    --a Bill Gates wannabe that you occasionally see around the Internet

Re: Testament to GIGABYTE reliability

I have seen this before as well.

By the way, all the Choyo's will fail. You may as well replace them all rather than just the four visibly bad ones.

Comment

Considering "the four visibly bad ones" DOES constitute all of the Choyo's, we're on the same page

The other ones are Rubycon, Sanyo, and Panasonic.
      Meatball, noun:
      --a ball of minced meat that is seasoned and cooked
      --a Bill Gates wannabe that you occasionally see around the Internet

Comment

Those other high quality caps are probably why it still works
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
        X