issues recapping a dc7700 usdt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

issues recapping a dc7700 usdt

Im recapping some hp dc7700's from ucc kzg series caps to some nichicons and panasonic caps. First board I did worked fine after. Second board went much faster but no video output on boot, and doesn't appear to boot completely (hard to tell since they do a long mem test after removing the cmos battery)

I resoldered all the caps and have the same problem. I decided to test them with my multimeter to look for any differences / dry joint issues, and while 6/7 caps have the standard reaction for resitance check where it beeps for a second and then climbs out of range, 1 cap on the other hand has a steady 18 ohm resistance, should I assume that I soldered that cap wrong (might have solder touching another trace)? or consider that I might have destroyed the cap since it gave me a lot of trouble soldering it / and took like 5 seconds to solder it vs the .5 seconds on most of the other caps.
    Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Re: issues recapping a dc7700 usdt

You can try taking it back out and checking the resistance between the pads again (and maybe the resistance of the cap too).

Comment

I used some wick to remove some of the solder on that joint, and it no longer reads a steady resistance, now it charges / goes out of range for resistance. The motherboard still doesnt work though: still shows no video and doesnt appear to be booting completly. Ill probably swap out some of the other caps again / but this board isnt invulnerable so im worried ill only be able to solder / unsolder the caps 1 or 2 more times.
      Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

Originally posted by cashkennedy View Post
        The motherboard still doesnt work though: still shows no video and doesnt appear to be booting completly.
        I find one of these useful for less than $2 USD + Free shipping. It gives a clue where to look, but not all the time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310662804829
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Check the resistance of the same cap on a working board. If it's for the chipset, chances are it will (and in most cases should) read low resistance.

Comment

Wow I didn't know those 2 number post displays were a like universal type of device / I have plenty of nicer motherboards with those (evga / abit).

And thanks for the good idea Momaka, I will compare to some of the other dc7700's I have and report back.

Comment

I have the same problem with my motherboard (HP DC7700 SFF)...
              The computer starts but I get no display and it will not boot..

I have changed few of the capacitors (1000uF 6.3V) which looked bulged on the top, two had a small visible leak on the top.

I still have the same problem, the motherboard will not boot and shows no action through the display

Comment

Working...
              X