Possible Bad Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Bad Caps

Hope someone can help me. i have been given a Gigabyte 8S661FXMP-RZ (Skt 478) which will not post. Not even the fan on the CPU will spin. the PSU is working. there are three makes of caps on the board
    1/ RUBYCON (genuine spelling) with letter K on top
    2/ OST with a CROSS on the top
    3/ not sure of branding but there are some caps marked KZG with a THREE POINTED STAR on the top
    the OST caps ar slightly bulged on the tops. the others look ok. none of the caps are showing signs of leakage. i have enclosed 2 pictures of the motherboard
    Attached Files

Re: Possible Bad Caps

KZG are Chemicon.
    That series of Chemicon doesn't like it where it's hot. [Next to CPU, video card, RAM.]
    Will sometimes fail with no bloating.
    Same with Chemicon KZJ series.
    Same with OST. [Probably all series']
    At a minimum replace all of whatever the bloaters are from 6mm/ up and 470uF/up.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

I've just noticed some of the big green 'K' capacitors on the same board of mine are bulging/leaking, resulting in some random power problems (the display just goes off).

One directly below the CPU assembly next to the Northbridge; and between the CPU assembly and the RAM sockets.

I don't have the skill sets to replace these bad caps myself, so it's another mobo to the scrapheap.

Comment

The three-pointed star is Samyoung, a Nippon Chemi-Con ally.
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

change the bulged ones and try it.
          those are vrm input caps.16v

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic
            The three-pointed star is Samyoung, a Nippon Chemi-Con ally.
            If it has KZG written on it, it's chemi-con. Samyoung usually have their own branding on their caps.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
            X